How Would An Alternate Democratic Nominee Have Performed Against Bush in 1992?

Although Bill Clinton was elected President with only 43% of the vote, the electoral college was a more decisive victory with 370 votes for Clinton and 128 for Bush. Clinton's performance was due in part to his popularity in the South, where he won narrow victories in Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia and more decisive victories in Louisiana and his home state of Arkansas.

Clinton didn't have especially strong competitors for the Democratic nomination: Jerry Brown suffered a backlash from New York's Jewish community when he promised to tap Jesse Jackson as his running mate, Paul Tsongas was seen as another uncharismatic Massachusetts liberal in the vein of Michael Dukakis, while Tom Harkin and Bob Kerrey were unable to gain traction outside of the Midwest. Prominent Democrats such as Jackson and Mario Cuomo had declined to enter the race, as it was expected that President George Bush would be re-elected due to his popularity after the Persian Gulf War.

But what if any of Clinton's primary opponents or any candidates who did not run had been nominated instead? Would they have defeated Bush? If so, what would the 1992 electoral map have looked like?

Even without Jackson on the ticket, Jerry Brown at that point in time would have been totally unable to connect with Joe Sixpack. In those days, even people who probably agreed with his overall policies thought he was a bit of a wackjob. (See the Dead Kennedys' California Uber Alles.)

You can factor in that the economy was tanking by '92, but even then, I think Brown would have too many strikes against him. Granted, some of those strikes would be the same as had accrued to Cuomo(mostly related to being the liberal governor of a large cosmopolitan state), but I think Cuomo woulda rolled with the punches a bit better.

Even without Jackson on the ticket, Jerry Brown at that point in time would have been totally unable to connect with Joe Sixpack. In those days, even people who probably agreed with his overall policies thought he was a bit of a wackjob. (See the Dead Kennedys' California Uber Alles.)

You can factor in that the economy was tanking by '92, but even then, I think Brown would have too many strikes against him. Granted, some of those strikes would be the same as had accrued to Cuomo(mostly related to being the liberal governor of a large cosmopolitan state), but I think Cuomo woulda rolled with the punches a bit better.

Cuomo would probably have lost most if not all of the Southern states Clinton won, plus some Northern states like Montana, but he'd still likely win with over 300 electoral votes due to his own charisma, the poor economy, and the divisions within the GOP.