How would a surviving Papal States and Two Sicilies look like

Say Italy fails to annex both the Papal States and Two Sicilies, How would surviving Papal States and Two Sicilies look like.

What would there internal development be like.

By "Italy" do you mean Sardinia at its pre-unification maximum or does like Parma and Tuscany also exist?

Since only the Papal States and the Two Sicilies are mentioned as being independent, I assume the rest of OTL Italy is united into one country.

Anyway, I'm not an expert on this period, but I gather that southern Italy suffered a fair bit from northern neglect, so the region might be better off ITTL. The Papal States were apparently quite badly governed by the mid-19th century, which is partly why the new Italian government had such an easy time taking it over, although it's possible that they'd elect an anti-corruption pope to reform the government, so it might, or might not, be better governed by 2020 ITTL.

How would a surviving Papal States effect the Catholic Church?

This could just be me, but I could half imagine "less" of a "siege" mentality by the church no? If the pope is ruling a state he'd be more in contact with the world around him than sitting in an ivory tower that is thr Vatican?

This could just be me, but I could half imagine "less" of a "siege" mentality by the church no? If the pope is ruling a state he'd be more in contact with the world around him than sitting in an ivory tower that is thr Vatican?

In fairness to the Pope, the Italian government was known to literally station troops right outside the Vatican when relations got tense. I think most people would develop a siege mentality in such circumstances.

Well world war 1 would most likely have a italian front in the middle of italy not the alps, this would also have huge ramifications throughout modern history would be interesting

I could see the papal states being only Latium. The rest of it's territory split between two Sicilies and the northern Italian kingdom. I could see northern Italy being backed by the central powers for unification and the return of Nice and Savoy.(Maybe Corsica as the house of Savoy could have a claim) I could see the pope try to use his position to try and get the Catholic countries to help or at least send volunteers to help who ever wanted to keep the status quo.(arguing to protect the church and property)

I'm curious if Germany would try to strike from Italy while trying to keep the bulk of the French army up North? Would Germany week to unify Italy first to try and make a stronger blow from the Italian front? Without having to guard against Italy then Austria could send more troops into Serbia. Should that cause Serbia to fall would that cause Bulgaria to join the war quicker? Assuming that the Austrians, Bulgarian and ottoman forces are headed east would Romania fight on the side of Russia?

Would the Germans want a third front with the Italian fighting? If Germany backs the North Italy getting Corsica, Nice and Savoy back the CP could promise Libya to the 2 Sicilies. Maybe offer northern Italy Latium could appease northern Italy.

I could see the papal states being only Latium. The rest of it's territory split between two Sicilies and the northern Italian kingdom. I could see northern Italy being backed by the central powers for unification and the return of Nice and Savoy.(Maybe Corsica as the house of Savoy could have a claim) I could see the pope try to use his position to try and get the Catholic countries to help or at least send volunteers to help who ever wanted to keep the status quo.(arguing to protect the church and property)

I'm curious if Germany would try to strike from Italy while trying to keep the bulk of the French army up North? Would Germany week to unify Italy first to try and make a stronger blow from the Italian front? Without having to guard against Italy then Austria could send more troops into Serbia. Should that cause Serbia to fall would that cause Bulgaria to join the war quicker? Assuming that the Austrians, Bulgarian and ottoman forces are headed east would Romania fight on the side of Russia?

Would the Germans want a third front with the Italian fighting? If Germany backs the North Italy getting Corsica, Nice and Savoy back the CP could promise Libya to the 2 Sicilies. Maybe offer northern Italy Latium could appease northern Italy.
You have the political situation totally wrong...
For political and strategical reasons Two Sicilies and England are sworn enemies so Two Sicilies will either stay neutral (most likely scenario) or be involved on the side of Central Empires (and considering who most likely the Two Sicilies want get back Malta from England their involvement on the same side of UK is pretty ASB)... Latium will stay in the hands of the Pope as the Two Sicilies are the main protector and supporter of the Papal States (so at the worst Latium will continue to be ruled by the Pope under protectorate of Two Sicilies)...
So is absolutely possible seeing both the Kingdom of Italy and the Kingdom of Two Sicilies on the side of Central Empires...
The interesting thing is who before its fall the Kingdom of Two Sicilies was a main economic partner for both Russia and US...

Last edited:
In fairness to the Pope, the Italian government was known to literally station troops right outside the Vatican when relations got tense. I think most people would develop a siege mentality in such circumstances.

While this is true. An Italy that DOESN'T control Rome (or even allows the pope up to the Leonine Walls as was originally proposed) would find it HARDER to do this no?

Grey Wolf

Gone Fishin'
Donor
I literally have this in the story I am writing now - The Shifting Sands

While it is only 1920 in that, one of the things with the Papal States is that it is committed to being neutral, and is seen as a powerful neutral arbitor.

The Two Sicilies barely come into it, at this juncture, but I think that they would largely want to remain out of dangerous international affairs.

If we look at OTL, the Two Sicilies was an ally of Britain in the Napoleonic Wars, the British fleet keeping them secure in Sicily, and British troops working with "resistance" in the Southern provinces against French, or Muratian rule. While Murat might have been generally popular, there remained an abiding loyalty to the native [sic] dynasty in some areas.

Well, we have a papal state right now in the form of Vatican City....

Not quiet same thing altough are ruled by pope. Surviving Papal states would be much bigger, at least controlling whole city or Rome but probably it has anyway whole Lazio region.

How would the government work in a modern papal states would it be a christian version of Iran with less revolutionary talk?

How would the government work in a modern papal states would it be a christian version of Iran with less revolutionary talk?
It would probably be a patchwork of city governments and farmland governed by officials answering to the Pope and governed under canon law.