How to dowload threads for offline?

Discussion in 'Help and Rules' started by Constantine Paleologos, Jan 20, 2019.

1. Constantine Paleologos Well-Known Member

There are a number of TLs I would like to read and reread which do not have PDF versions or are posted in the Finished TL section and thus cannot be converted easily. I like to read in Night Mode with larger text and was wondering if there are tools to download entire threads as PDFs.

Anyone know how to do so?

2. fdas Professional Jobber

Go through the whole thread and copy and paste. That is what I did.

3. Burton K Wheeler l'état profond, c'est moi Moderator

I've just copied posts one at a time into word docs to do this.

4. Constantine Paleologos Well-Known Member

Thanks to both of you for the answers

5. Diforto Well-Known Member

If you have firefox, you can right-click and then click on "save as", it is somewhat faster than copying everypost.

6. Kendog52361 Well-Known Member

In the old "software", there was an option for a "printable version" that cleaned up and organized the pages nicely. When the software was updated to the current software, that option was removed, and it's like it is, now. If it had a "reader only" option, that only shows threadmarked posts, that, combined with the above idea of right-clicking and selecting "save as" would allow you to save the story posts.

Zagan likes this.
  7. wcv215 Well-Known Member

Not a great one. I've copied them into word documents, then saved them as PDFs so I could put them in my phone as a Kindle book.

8. Analytical Engine Monarchist Collectivist Federalist

You can do that with IE as well. If you save it as "web archive", it will all be in one file.

9. Shoshana Princess of Zaatar and Labneh

How awful for the author whose work you've just downloaded and copied. And isn't there copyright issues with this? I think it's courtesy to ask their permission first in any case. At least hit like and/or leave a comment to show you appreciate the author's work.

Otherwise the author may give up, feeling they're not supported and being taken for granted.

Having said that, I can understand why you'd want to download threads. Especially, as you say, for reading in 'night mode'. Reading novels is best while snug in blankets. :) Just make sure you provide feedback for the author after reading.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
    Xenophonte and Zagan like this.
  10. fdas Professional Jobber

It is also for reading when you anticipate going somewhere without internet access.

Xenophonte and wcv215 like this.
  11. Shoshana Princess of Zaatar and Labneh

Yes, this is true, but I think you're missing the point of what I said. Whatever reasons you have for downloading timelines and stories, you should at least provide feedback to the author when you can. And ask their permission out of respect and common courtesy. Provided the download is for your own personal reading, I don't think anyone will have an issue with it.

The worry is people will just download stories without providing feedback to the authors - even if it's just hitting like and writing a short one or two line comment. It's not difficult, and helps the author know their work is appreciated. I think too many writers on this forum are taken for granted and feel unsupported, so they eventually give up.

If you enjoy the author's story enough to download, you should at least let them know you appreciate their work.

Zagan likes this.
  12. Burton K Wheeler l'état profond, c'est moi Moderator

When I've downloaded an entire thread to read, I almost always have some comments and feedback for the author afterwards. It's just much easier to catch up on a huge long-running TL that way than reading through the thread.

Shoshana and Zagan like this.
  13. Xenophonte Quod natura non dat, Salmantica non præstat.

Would be obvious, but I think that it's worth to remember that if a thread, that somebody would want to download, it's old or very old then must be remembered that if want to let know to the author any comments or even that liked/enjoyed his/her work, only do it through a PM and not by posting in the thread.

Shoshana likes this.