How Silent Fall the Cherry Blossoms

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been away on assignment for a week trying to keep up with this TL, and Geon, my weather-trained mind keeps wishing for local observations from the OTL times of you gas attacks ITTL. I'd plug in some quick CDM's for you if so, (Chemical Downwind Messages.)

Loving it. Go Sweden!!!

for those who are on assignment or offline for some time.
To keep update visit our Forum Wiki page were How Silent Fall the Cherry Blossoms
With chronological view with over hundred post, on weekly update
http://wiki.alternatehistory.com/doku.php/timelines/how_silent_fall_the_cherry_blossoms

katchen

Banned
With Sweden in the war you could get a unit to take Narvik with the Allies help and you open up so many possibilites. Even without a direct link to the Allies imagine the P47/Typhoon tac air being based in Sweden. Also it would allow better Air raid to Germany with having Sweden as a good place to recover in if there are problems with aircraft. Not being interned but being able to flyout after repairs or even having new aircraft flying in to use.

Yes the Swedes could take Norway. You don't need the whole country, you just need to get a port like Narvik initially to connect to the Allies and then expand from there with their troops. The Germans were hampered by logistics and terrain and had limited mobility and effectiveness.
Narvik, hell! The Swedes can open up Trondheim to the Allies in short order! Trondheim is less than 20 miles from Sweden. And possibly even Oslo, which is very close to Sweden within a week of opening up hostilities. Then there is Copenhagen and Helsingnor.

Garrison

Donor
I really question the value of Sweden attacking the Germans in Norway at this point. They were cut off from Germany, there was no way to get any amount of them back to Germany. The Germans at that point in Norway were regarded as basically the worlds largest self run prison camp. Any invasion by Sweden is going to lead to more being Norwegians killed and property destroyed than would happen otherwise. Even the Russians did not waste troops destroying the Germans in the Courland pocket, just contained them.

The Swedes need to do something to show they were not involved with the attack on the USA and I suspect the Norwegians had to have been less than sanguine about remaining under Nazi occupation given recent actions; who knows what mad scheme Hitler might come up with next that puts the people of Norway at risk?

Sweden declares war--logical...

Sweden's declaration is a classic example of Clauswitz's (sp) commment, "War is the continuation of politics by other means."

It's a large scale statement to the world--that may also have good effects postwar.

I've been away on assignment for a week trying to keep up with this TL, and Geon, my weather-trained mind keeps wishing for local observations from the OTL times of you gas attacks ITTL. I'd plug in some quick CDM's for you if so, (Chemical Downwind Messages.)

Loving it. Go Sweden!!!

Mind you, weather is the ultimate chaotic system. Wind could easily be blowing a different direction after a couple of months.

Geon

Donor
Sweden Alone

Churchill was celebrating yesterday but as you see here today he is realizing that there are problems supporting Sweden in this war.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: January 3, 1945
Time: 11:00 a.m. [London time]

Winston Churchill had been absolutely ecstatic to learn that Sweden had entered the war against Germany the day before. With Sweden’s entry into the war Germany had lost a vital source of iron ore and other raw materials for its factories. In addition it meant that the troops in Norway would be staying there to defend it. Today however, the problems involved with Sweden as an ally were becoming all too apparent.

“The Swedes have the advantage of surprise and will continue to have it for the next few days but that will quickly wear off,” Alan Brooke, Chief of the Imperial General Staff was explaining. “The problem is the Germans have approximately 200,000 or more troops stationed in Norway thanks to us.” Churchill nodded, “One of our deception operations before D-Day was to convince the Germans one of our possible targets was Norway, we succeeded admirably but now that success may be coming back to ‘bite us in the butt,’ as they say.” “Exactly sir,” Alan continued, “The Swedes have an advantage in that they have trained their men to fight in bad weather and in mountainous terrain. Many of these German troops have never done so, but the problem is numbers. There’s some question whether the Swedish army as well trained as it is can last against the numbers the Germans can throw at them in Norway.”

“What about the resistance, surely they can help to tip the scales,” questioned Churchill. The Norwegian resistance was considered one of the most well-trained and well motivated resistance forces in occupied Europe. It had been Norwegian resistance fighters that had destroyed the heavy water reserves from the Norsk Hydro plant which would have been used by the Nazis in their atomic research. They were committed to driving the invaders out of their country and were a very hardy lot. Alan Brooke replied, “While early reports are sketchy it is clear that in some parts of the country full scale rebellion has all but broken out at news of the Swedish invasion. Evidently the resistance has not been idle. But again it’s a problem of numbers. The Germans have more troops and as we both know Prime Minister are not shy about using ruthless methods to crush resistance.” Churchill nodded. The Germans, more notably the SS, were noted for their cruelty in crushing rebellions and did not care whether women and children suffered in the reprisals.

The Prime Minister asked, “What form of aid can we send the Swedes at this moment?” “At this moment we can do nothing more then send supplies Prime Minister,” replied Field Marshall Brooke. “The simple fact is that our manpower reserves are totally tapped. Every available soldier we have is either fighting in Europe or Asia. Even our colonial troops are fully committed. We simply do not have a single division to spare for Norway. And even if we did getting it there would be no picnic! This time of year the North Sea weather as you know is brutal. We would not be able to get any sort of appreciable number of troops in save by air transport and that means putting our transports in range of whatever fighter strength the Germans have left until they reach the safety of Sweden. We might be able to send a few British commando groups to help the Swedes but that is all right now.”

“And naval intervention is out of the question as long as the Germans hold those blasted shore batteries,” Churchill continued. He remembered that in 1940 those batteries had done considerable damage to the German fleet as it had sailed north to help take key ports, now they were held by the Germans and it was certain they would make life difficult for any ships of the British Navy.

“So to sum up Field Marshall, we can only send the Swedes a handful of men and supplies; they are for the moment on their own?” Field Marshall Alan Brooke quietly nodded. Churchill sighed and realized that Sweden was for the most part on its own at this point. He declared in a subdued voice, “Then…God be with them!

Last edited:
I'm beginning to fear that stockholm may be hit with gas soon. :(

you can calming down, Hades

Stockholm is 650 km from North border of Third Reich

no way that V1 or A4B can reach this distance.
and transporting one to Norway will be problematic under current weather
if the weather get better in spring 1945, the Allies could have reach Denmark...

and Bomber raid to Stockholm ?
The Luftwaffe is ...Death
handfull pilots, lack of fuel
A He 111 bomber with 2000 kg bombs could reach Stockholm, but Allies got Air supremacy and there swedish air force.
a super fast Jet bomber Arado 224, it could reach Stockholm and back unharmed, but with no bomb load.:(

Last edited:

Geon

Donor
Wainwright and Tokyo Rose

Date: January 4, 1945
Time: 7:00 p.m. [Tokyo time]

For the past four days both Jonathan Wainwright and Miss Iva Ikuko Toguri had been guests of the Emperor of Japan while he had prepared them for their parts in his unfolding “peace conspiracy.” General Wainwright had agreed to be the courier for another letter from the Emperor this time to Washington. Part of the plan was that Miss Toguri would use the program she hosted, The Zero Hour, as the means to get information to the Allies in the Pacific via a code she had put together with the help of General Wainwright. Both she and the general had come up with a series of code words in American slang that would convey brief messages from the Emperor to the Allies. It was dangerous for all concerned to be sure, but most especially for Miss Toguri. If all went well General Wainwright would soon be beyond the reach of the Secret Police, but Miss Toguri would be in constant danger until the war ended. If discovered, well all involved tried very hard not to think of the consequences.

Now the General was preparing to leave the palace on the first leg hopefully of his journey home. He and Miss Toguri were sitting in the small dining room of the General’s suite talking. Miss Toguri handed Jonathan as she now called him a small piece of paper with some names on it of loved ones she had in the U.S. and asked him to let them know she was okay. The General promised that he would do so the first chance he got.

In a few moments the door to the suite opened and the Emperor entered followed by three aides. Two of them carried a very large ornate Persian rug. “We are ready,” the Emperor said simply. “Here is the letter for your President and the Prime Minister,” Hirohito said handing a small satchel to the aide. “The aide will make certain that even if something happens to you this letter will get delivered to its proper destination. Are you ready General?” “As ready as I’ll ever be,” General Wainwright responded. Miss Toguri stepped forward and with tears in her eyes said, “I’ll be praying for you General.” Jonathan Wainwright smiled at her and said simply, “Thank you ma’am I appreciate that, and I’ll let the folks back home know what you’re doing here, and you’re one of the bravest women I know.”

The General stepped forward onto the rug that had been set down on the floor then lay down at one end of the rug while the aides carefully rolled him up in it until he was totally swathed by the heavy Persian rug around him. Carefully ensuring the ends were tucked so no one could see inside and that the General had enough air to breath the three aides one carrying the letter quickly and as gently as possible picked up the rug and left the room for their destination.

The Emperor had searched long and hard for a way to smuggle the General out of the country for many days and then remembered something he had heard from an old legend. The idea was so full of irony that when he shared it with General Wainwright and Miss Toguri both had broken out in laughter. The Emperor had remembered how in ancient times the Egyptian Queen Cleopatra had supposedly managed to elude her enemies in order to get to see Julius Caesar. Then she had also been wrapped in an expensive rug. Now, General Wainwright was being transported in another expensive rug as a gift to the ambassador of the Vatican in Tokyo, the representative of the Roman Catholic Church!

The Emperor had searched long and hard for a way to smuggle the General out of the country for many days and then remembered something he had heard from an old legend. The idea was so full of irony that when he shared it with General Wainwright and Miss Toguri both had broken out in laughter. The Emperor had remembered how in ancient times the Egyptian Queen Cleopatra had supposedly managed to elude her enemies in order to get to see Julius Caesar. Then she had also been wrapped in an expensive rug. Now, General Wainwright was being transported in another expensive rug as a gift to the ambassador of the Vatican in Tokyo, the representative of the Roman Catholic Church![/QUOTE]

I have long harbored ambivalent feelings about Pacilli and his role in World War II. Ultimately I have concluded that he was a Nazi sympathizer. While fully comprehending the tenuous position he was in before the liberation of Rome his support of the so called “rat line” after the war is in my mind inexcusable. He was however enough of a realist that I doubt he would interfere with the delivery of his surprise guest. I will be interested to see where Wainright first reveals himself. Presumably the package will arrive in some allied or neutral territory prior to Vatican City.

By the way, this is awesome.

Is there anyway that Stalin might be tempted to help the Swedes by invading Northern Norway, even with a token force to try and pin down the Wehrmacht or even open a supply line into Northern Sweden?

Garrison

Donor
Things are going to get brutal in Norway and Nazi Germany will doubtless add to the ever growing pile of reasons why the Allies will be looking to grind it into the dirt even after the war is over.

Is there anyway that Stalin might be tempted to help the Swedes by invading Northern Norway, even with a token force to try and pin down the Wehrmacht or even open a supply line into Northern Sweden?
The Red Army already fought the Germans in the far, far north, so I'd say that some sort of cooperation would be inevitable.

The Murmansk Front. October 1944 is mentioned on it.

P1090621.JPG

Date: January 4, 1945
Time: 7:00 p.m. [Tokyo time]

For the past four days both Jonathan Wainwright and Miss Iva Ikuko Toguri had been guests of the Emperor of Japan while he had prepared them for their parts in his unfolding “peace conspiracy.” General Wainwright had agreed to be the courier for another letter from the Emperor this time to Washington. Part of the plan was that Miss Toguri would use the program she hosted, The Zero Hour, as the means to get information to the Allies in the Pacific via a code she had put together with the help of General Wainwright. Both she and the general had come up with a series of code words in American slang that would convey brief messages from the Emperor to the Allies. It was dangerous for all concerned to be sure, but most especially for Miss Toguri. If all went well General Wainwright would soon be beyond the reach of the Secret Police, but Miss Toguri would be in constant danger until the war ended. If discovered, well all involved tried very hard not to think of the consequences.

Now the General was preparing to leave the palace on the first leg hopefully of his journey home. He and Miss Toguri were sitting in the small dining room of the General’s suite talking. Miss Toguri handed Jonathan as she now called him a small piece of paper with some names on it of loved ones she had in the U.S. and asked him to let them know she was okay. The General promised that he would do so the first chance he got.

In a few moments the door to the suite opened and the Emperor entered followed by three aides. Two of them carried a very large ornate Persian rug. “We are ready,” the Emperor said simply. “Here is the letter for your President and the Prime Minister,” Hirohito said handing a small satchel to the aide. “The aide will make certain that even if something happens to you this letter will get delivered to its proper destination. Are you ready General?” “As ready as I’ll ever be,” General Wainwright responded. Miss Toguri stepped forward and with tears in her eyes said, “I’ll be praying for you General.” Jonathan Wainwright smiled at her and said simply, “Thank you ma’am I appreciate that, and I’ll let the folks back home know what you’re doing here, and you’re one of the bravest women I know.”

The General stepped forward onto the rug that had been set down on the floor then lay down at one end of the rug while the aides carefully rolled him up in it until he was totally swathed by the heavy Persian rug around him. Carefully ensuring the ends were tucked so no one could see inside and that the General had enough air to breath the three aides one carrying the letter quickly and as gently as possible picked up the rug and left the room for their destination.

The Emperor had searched long and hard for a way to smuggle the General out of the country for many days and then remembered something he had heard from an old legend. The idea was so full of irony that when he shared it with General Wainwright and Miss Toguri both had broken out in laughter. The Emperor had remembered how in ancient times the Egyptian Queen Cleopatra had supposedly managed to elude her enemies in order to get to see Julius Caesar. Then she had also been wrapped in an expensive rug. Now, General Wainwright was being transported in another expensive rug as a gift to the ambassador of the Vatican in Tokyo, the representative of the Roman Catholic Church!
Well if nothing else when the war is over, Toguri won't be charged with treason. There still might be an inquiry but her actions will have her turn out as an American hero.

Status
Not open for further replies.