How Silent Fall the Cherry Blossoms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, telling millions of civilians drowning in lung fluid that the heroic German Reich has killed thousands with nastier chemicals isnt going to impress anyone. Especially those german civilians.

It could even be that the German agents which kill quickly are less effective as terror weapons than mustard gas which kills slower but more horribly.

Mustard gas would probably cause more overload on the medical services as well.

My thoughts exactly, he is seriously pissed off and he may try and dislodge Stalin if he gets pushed too far. He'd better plan things very carefully if he does...

I think thats very unlikely, its one thing to be pissed off with bureaucrats another alltogethr with stalin whose paranoia about plots was huge.

My thoughts exactly, he is seriously pissed off and he may try and dislodge Stalin if he gets pushed too far. He'd better plan things very carefully if he does...

I can see Zhukov bearing a resentment toward Stalin. Then again, in Soviet Russia, that was grounds for you to be terminated. With extreme prejudice.

OTL, post WWII, Zhukov was very aware of how precarious his position was to the extent that, (IIRC), he was reported to have kept a bag containing everything he'd need to leave in a hurry if he ever thought Stalin would sent the NKVD after him. Now where Zhukov would go is another matter entirely...

Agreed, Zhukov will really have to watch his step if he truly wants to replace Stalin. OTOH he's got the army behind him.

I just wonder if Beria and some of the Kommisars are going to have "accidents"...

Geon

Donor
Franklin and Eleanor

First off thanks guys for giving me some really nifty ideas:D! I may just add them in. In the meantime here is a little bit on Eleanor and Franklin.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: December 25, 1944
Time: 9:00 p.m. [EST]

Eleanor Roosevelt sat beside her husband’s bedside as he finished reading the latest report from the Ardennes. After several minutes he handed the report back to her and said in a weak voice, “Tell Marshall to let Bradley know that the president thinks he’s doing a fine job!”

“I will Franklin,” responded Eleanor. Franklin had quickly regained his ability to speak but preferred not to do so unless necessary. Usually he communicated with Eleanor by writing on the large pads of paper he now kept by his bed. Franklin had decided not to micromanage things at the White House while he was at the hospital rather he would have Eleanor take his messages to the Cabinet meetings which early on he had insisted she must be a part of, to the dismay of Vice-President Wallace and many in the Cabinet itself. She would take notes show the notes the President had written and if necessary offer her opinion on what the President had in mind. This system allowed President Roosevelt to stay informed on what was happening and to express his will on necessary matters.

For a time both Franklin and Eleanor sat together each alone with their thoughts. For Eleanor it was a time of remembering the man in front of her as he once was and of the wonderful times they had experienced before polio had robbed him of his mobility and of his fight to return then to a semblance of normality. Franklin had always been a stubborn fighter. And now he was fighting once again to come back one more time.

Franklin’s thoughts mirrored those of his wife. But Franklin instinctively knew this was going to be his last fight. How he knew it he couldn’t really express, but something, some inner voice told him that his work was almost done. He recalled that for the last couple of nights he had experienced a strange dream that repeated itself. He was back at Campobello sailing. And he heard his mother calling from shore. Each time the dream repeated he was a little closer to shore and her figure there became more and more distinct. Franklin knew he was being called; it was only a matter of time. But before it was time to “check out,” as it were there were a few final debts to pay.

Gesturing for the pad again, Franklin waited while Eleanor positioned his hand on a pencil over it and began to write.

Eleanor – You have been very good to me and for me all of these years, I want to say to you something I should have said long ago…I’m sorry. I’m sorry for at times having been so cold to you. I’m sorry for the times I cheated on you. I’m sorry for the times I hurt you. These last few days you have been my voice to others. You could have left me long ago but you chose to stay. Thank you! Whatever else may happen, know this, I have never stopped loving you.

Eleanor cried inside as she read the note but outward showed no visible sign except for a brief quiver of her lip. She had been saving these notes written by Franklin for the past several days. She had already resolved that when all of this was over she would write a book about these tumultuous days. But this note she would keep to herself for many years to come. Only on her death was it discovered among her most personal writings with the request it be added as an appendix to the award winning book that she had written entitled simply Notes From Franklin.

Geon

Donor
Third Waterloo

Here is an update on the clash between von Mantueffel and Patton.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: December 26, 1944
Time: 6:00 a.m. [Belgian time]

In the dark just before dawn an irresistible force met an unmovable object as Patton’s Third Army slammed into the tanks of the 6th Panzer Army under General Hasso von Mantueffel.

Patton had been delayed at Littlebruck by a little more then a day smashing through the defenses of General Brandenberger. Doing so had cost Patton 13 percent of his tank force; Brandenberger had used anti tank guns skillfully and had caused heavy casualties. Some tanks could have been repaired if Patton had stopped at Littlebruck, but the General ordered those tanks that were unusable to be left behind to be picked up later. Time was of the essence.

Von Mantueffel was also in a hurry. He had quickly headed south to use the very defensive line that the British had used a few days ago to defend Brussels. They would have a brief time of freedom from air attack as the Allied air forces regrouped; he needed to use that time to defeat Patton before the Allies destroyed their forces from the air.

The battle of Third Waterloo as it would come to be called was an exercise that future military colleges would study as minutely as they had First Waterloo. Mantueffel used the terrain trying to hug hills and use the woods as much as possible to surprise Patton’s tanks. Patton had one simple tactic-to pile drive on through engaging the enemy where convenient. For three hours the two played a dance of evade and lunge. The fields became littered with broken burning machines and the broken bodies of men. Finally, at 9:23 a.m. Von Mantueffel ordered his remaining tanks to head northward to link up with Dietrich. Patton had been dealt damage but not serious enough to impede his progress. Now he charged forward hoping to finish van Mantueffel before he linked up with Sepp Dietrich.

Here is an update on the clash between von Mantueffel and Patton.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Finally, at 9:23 a.m. Von Mantueffel ordered his remaining tanks to head northward to link up with Dietrich.

Mantueffel has just put his army on the open road in clear daylight for six hours.

Garrison

Donor
Mantueffel has just put his army on the open road in clear daylight for six hours.

As opposed to sitting still in broad daylight and being pummelled by air-strikes and Patton? He simply can't afford to wait for nightfall and he may be hoping the Allies airforces are still reorganizing; I suspect he will find its a false hope.

As opposed to sitting still in broad daylight and being pummelled by air-strikes and Patton? He simply can't afford to wait for nightfall and he may be hoping the Allies airforces are still reorganizing; I suspect he will find its a false hope.

It's pretty much a no win situation for him.

The term 'Highway of Death' may very well enter the lexicon 47 earlier than OTL due to his movement though. There's one possible butterfly.

well.

Patton has just written his place as the greatest tank commander of all time, for the speed on his advance, with greater opposition than OTL, he's made double his OTL progress. In OTL by 26 Dec, he reached Bastogne. Here, he's driven all the way to Brussels in the same time period! :eek:
And he's destroyed not one but TWO German Field armies in the process. Patton gets the Medal of Honor for this, no question.

The smart thing for him to do now, IMHO, is swing *right* Whats left can't breech Monty's lines, and can be left to wither on the vine. Patton should swing back right and link up with the forces near the belgian/dutch border to complete the envelopment. Then he should drive straight into Germany. Its completely undefended along the entire original breech. 3rd Army could pour into Germany and reach the rhine by February, easy.

He'd be better off fighting it out with Patton here and now and calling on Brandenberger to take Patton in the flank. If Manteuffel's panthers can't hold Patton's shermans for a single day then he has no business commanding a panzer army.

By fleeing towards Antwerp Manteuffel has effectively given Patton control of the German supply lines.

I foresee an almighty tantrum when Hitler hears what Manteuffel has done.

"You must be Anvil or Hammer",
this quote from Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, match the coming Battle of Antwerp

Monty defense line is the Anvil, were SS tank divisions are hammer down by Patton Army...

Motörhead song "The Hammer" and there Classic "Bomber" get complete new meaning in this TL

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.