How realistic were von Papen's plans to invade Canada using “German cowboys” during the Great War?

Did you guys actually read the link in detail? There's so many gems, like

The German foreign office was sufficiently interested in this nonsense to pursue the matter further. Of particular interest to them was the question of whether the traditional garb of the cowboy could be construed as a uniform. Their legal department researched the problem and decided that it could not possibly be considered a uniform under the definitions of international law. It was then suggested that badges of rank and regimental insignia be affixed to these outfits on crossing the Canadian border, thus in a flash converting work-clothes into military uniforms. Much legal expertise was devoted to this tricky point, but in the end cooler heads prevailed. What the Germans never seriously questioned was the possibility of finding 650,000 volunteers who were prepared to attack Canada, which showed their complete misunderstanding of the realities of North American life.
Martin Kitchen: "The German Invasion of Canada in the First World War", The International History Review, Vol. 7, No. 2 (May, 1985), pp. 245-260, (For the complete sad story of ambition: jstor

Not a chance. Even less than talking Mexico into attacking the USA
By light years. I mean it's a great way to loose an army and ships.

It's not like they are going to just sneak across the Atlantic and stuff. Unless they plan to invade baffin Island and claim victory, there is alot of Canada with nothing in it.

People get drunk and scribble out project plans to look busy, not to really be taken serious. Yes heir majesty as yiu see I have made all of these battle plans.. Denmark, Sweden, France, Russia, Siam, and Canada I just finished last night after a few pints at Hans beer Garten..

Mein got! It's fantastiche! Vee must do zis.. It vill make Americans ant polar bears very anxious zat vee are zooper power :)

Last edited:
The Canadian military and politicians were actually afraid of German forays across the border from neutral America. The invasion in the OP is of course impossible, but more sabotage could have been affected.

They could have pulled it off sometime after 11/11/18. After all, once the armistice is done who would notice a bunch of armed people in reparations crates bursting out and taking toronto?

Did you guys actually read the link in detail? There's so many gems, like
650,000 volunteers?! Maybe the German Embassy in DC was going to place ads in the papers? Can we throw in a zeppelin or two?

This has me thinking of The Wild Wild West or The Adventures of Brisco County Jr.

To me, the funniest thing isn't the plan itself, because the Zimmermann Telegram shows that the Junkers were always crazy itching for war. It's that the military command got into a debate about how to best represent the cowboy costumes as uniforms to follow the rules of war, because you know, German strictness.

Also from the link:

Tangential: German plans for invading the United States were drawn up as emperor Wilhelm wished since the 1890s. In this case for Canada, the first war-time idea as in question here was submitted to the German foreign office on 29 August 1914 by Emrich Herzog from Vienna. The Germans called Vienna immediately to inquire about this unknown man and the answer was that Herzog was known as a delusional patriot, "constantly pestering officials with unrealistic ideas" and that he was best ignored. What Vienna thought crazy, Berlin called it creative.

On November 10, a Mr Wirth from Munich wrote likewise, claiming to be an expert on North America as he had spent time in Canada. He fantasised that a US based invasion of Canada would be easy, as that would meet the approval of Americans, especially Irish-related, and that already 100000 German army reservists would stand at the ready in North America with 250000 easily to mobilise. Adding to those two numbers the assumed 300000 Irish rebels we arrive at the fantastical 650000 jubilant troops. All what would have been needed then was ordering the chief of operations in Washington von Papen to do that and give him the funds to start action.

I guess Karl May really informed an entire nation about what the West was like. Even more insane if you consider that his novels were also formative for the psyche of Hitler.

650,000 volunteers?! Maybe the German Embassy in DC was going to place ads in the papers? Can we throw in a zeppelin or two?

This has me thinking of The Wild Wild West or The Adventures of Brisco County Jr.
Men looking for Men for role play
Must like cold, polar bears, Canadians.

Meet up in Toronto..
Send carrier pigeon to xxxx. Xx. Xxx.. Zzxx

And thus the beginning of Craigslist is now revealed as a german cover

What the Germans never seriously questioned was the possibility of finding 650,000 volunteers who were prepared to attack Canada, which showed their complete misunderstanding of the realities of North American life.

Actually looking at the frequency of threads popping up about the USA attacking (and annexing) Canada im not sure I would fault them for this particular point...

They could have pulled it off sometime after 11/11/18. After all, once the armistice is done who would notice a bunch of armed people in reparations crates bursting out and taking toronto?

My god the seven people who actually live in Toronto might be endangered. The capitol hut might even be burned and that thing took three hours to build.

1582894729483.png

Picture of Canada's combined House of Legislature, home of Great Chief, and discount moose brothel.

Last edited: