How realistic were von Papen's plans to invade Canada using “German cowboys” during the Great War?

Imagine if this went further. could have been the greatest scam in History. “Yeah Mr. Papen found some great guys for the Canada thing just need a couple thousand more bucks for uniforms and guns and we’ll be able start this invasion next week.”

The question is whether this is more or less unrealistic/fanciful than Project Habakkuk. One's unrealistic for scientific/logistical reasons and the other is unrealistic for the sheer absurdity of the people and logistics involved.

My god the seven people who actually live in Toronto might be endangered. The capitol hut might even be burned and that thing took three hours to build.

View attachment 526590

Picture of Canada's combined House of Legislature, home of Great Chief, and discount moose brothel.
Isn't that the interim US Presidential House? To fill in until the old one was renovated after the British called by for a party and the host ran away.

Yeah well, at least we have nice weather 2 months of the year. So there!
'

1582993608238.png

Canada in a sunny and hot July. Canadian kindergarten teacher shown.

I just realized every single Canadian TV series I have ever seen only takes place in the Summer.
Isn't that the interim US Presidential House? To fill in until the old one was renovated after the British called by for a party and the host ran away.

No but I could see what you mean. The real interim White House looked a lot like the Canuck one but it lacks the Canadian discount Moose brothel addition.

Same thing with the comics.
View attachment 526891
Yvon of the Yukon?

There once was a Frenchman Yvon was his name
Exploring new worlds he dreamed was his fame
But reading a map was not his forte
So poor Yvon was soon cast away

Yvon of the Yukon
Sailing the stormy seas
Yvon of the Yukon
No one could hear his pleas

He soon found himself in a bit of a pickle
The frigid north seas proved more than fickle
Yvon's navigation would soon cost a price
He was knocked overboard and turned in to ice

Yvon of the Yukon
Hapless Volunteer
Yvon of the Yukon
Frozen for hundreds of years

300 years passed and with some irony
Yvon was thawed up by Mutt's need to pee
Yvon claimed the land for his country's glory
And that's the start of Yvon's story

Yvon of the Yukon
Frozen by icy seas
Yvon of the Yukon
(de-frosted for you and for me)

Did no one involved think to ask if the Americans would notice them buy thousands of rifles and ammunition, thousands of sets of near identical clothing, thousands of horses, gathering in their thousands on the Canadian border and do something to A. stop them and B. warn the Canadians what they were up to?

Did no one involved think to ask if the Americans would notice them buy thousands of rifles and ammunition, thousands of sets of near identical clothing, thousands of horses, gathering in their thousands on the Canadian border and do something to A. stop them and B. warn the Canadians what they were up to?

"Hey there invading Canada is illegal. You'll have to pay a five dollar fine. If you succeed it's a ten dollar fine."

I think the moral of this story is that nobody involved knew what they were doing in the slightest. If attempted, it would probably fail, but in a really ridiculous way. It would be like a slapstick comedy, and seventy some odd years later a Jim Cary expy would play the commanding officer of the whole mess. I would watch that movie.

I think the moral of this story is that nobody involved knew what they were doing in the slightest. If attempted, it would probably fail, but in a really ridiculous way. It would be like a slapstick comedy, and seventy some odd years later a Jim Cary expy would play the commanding officer of the whole mess. I would watch that movie.

I was thinking more Chris Farely or John Candy.

Wait, what?! A Libyan-Palestinian invasion of Ireland?!
It's an actual book,

Those reviewers are being "generous" imo. Like I said I've actually read it, ends up with an Irish monarch in charge and the mainly "not" UK forces (and a bit of "not" US forces) having a victory parade through Dublin, while of course all the rest or Europe outside of the UK stood by and had to be begged not to support the "Arabs" cause "money"...

...lol what. A plan to invade Canada. With a bunch of "German cowboys". What was this guy smoking exactly?

I mean, all jokes aside (and there are plenty), Canada did and does have an army. An army that was, within a year or two of this, busy putting the boots to the Kaiser's boys on the Western Front and generally terrorizing the enemies of the Commonwealth. Plus, if I'm remembering right, at the time the Northwest Mounted Police were basically a territorial guard/militia on their own enough to lay a beating on the German Cowboy Brigade.

It brings to mind one of the German POW's who escaped from the Neys prison camp on Lake Superior by walking across the ice to the states.
Or at least that was the plan.Lake superior didn 't freeze over completely that year so he had to walk back to the camp.