How many people could America support?

Despite having an area comparable to China and Europe, America has a much smaller population. I know that that is because almost all of the Natives got sick and died/were murdered. But the Question still remains: How many people could America support?

I don't think we could pull China numbers, but Europe's numbers seem much more doable, as the climates of Europe and America are much closer, and with Europe's population density, the USA would have a population of 718 Million People, more than two times what we have now. Given the quality of America's farmland (especially in the Mississippi basin) I would guess America could just be able to support 1 Billion people.

Do you guys think that statement is accurate?

Most of China is mountains and desert and the US (assuming that's what you mean by America, North America as a whole or even US+Canada is different) currently has 50% more arable land than China. Should a greater population that comes about through whatever means (China-style indigenous civilisation, early immigration, middle income trap population growth, whatever sort of reproductive tech the future holds, etc.) exist then a China-sized population could be supported. Maybe 1.5 billion, the issue is said 1.5 billion people wouldn't be able to live like Americans. If they didn't then the water situation would be solvable through more desalination and strong-arming Canada into a project like GRAND and/or NAWAPA.

I think one of our Presidents, one of the Roosevelts IIRC, believed that the Mississippi delta could support China-level populations given enough time and the right conditions. There's fertile soil and year-round growing conditions so the opportunity is there. It also depends on what quality of life the population will have.