How long could the Palmyrene Empire have lasted?

Suppose Aurelian was not successful in defeating Zenobia or with some other POD, how long could the Palmyrene Empire have lasted? Could the Palmyrene Empire have potentially expanded further eastward into the Sassanian Empire? Or would it have been absorbed either by the Romans or Sassanians eventually?

It depends on what was Zenobia's ultimate goals. They are unknown to us. Was she attempted to craft a new world order centered around Palmyra? Was she going to expand eastward and become the next dynast to rule Iran? Or would she play up her connections to the Ptolemies and abandon Palmyra for Alexandria? Or would she go to unite the Roman world much like her enemy Aurelian?

It depends on what was Zenobia's ultimate goals. They are unknown to us. Was she attempted to craft a new world order centered around Palmyra? Was she going to expand eastward and become the next dynast to rule Iran? Or would she play up her connections to the Ptolemies and abandon Palmyra for Alexandria? Or would she go to unite the Roman world much like her enemy Aurelian?
I think she wanted to be Empress by Proxy with her son

It should fall sooner or later to the Romans or the Persians.

It lacks strategic depth compared to its two powerful neighbors.

Keeping the capital in Palmyra was fundamentally unsound. If they moved it to Alexandria instead, I could see the ''Empire'' being able to hold its ground in the short and medium term. It would require a strong naval presence in the Mediterranean, however.

Screen Shot 2021-05-16 at 3.00.31 PM.png

Edit: Alternatively you could have Zenobia expand a bit to the northwest and set up her capital in Nicomedia or, with a lot of ASB-ish foresight, in Byzantium.

Last edited:
At the time the Sassanids suffered some succession misfortune, 3 monarchs dying within 4 years, followed by rebellions. It would continue for 2 decades, so Palmyra has time until about the late 280s, that's when things in Persia quiet down somewhat and when they can expect a Sassanian army marching their way. And it took more resources to stalemate the Persians before and after than Palmyra can draw upon.

Suppose Aurelian was not successful in defeating Zenobia or with some other POD, how long could the Palmyrene Empire have lasted? Could the Palmyrene Empire have potentially expanded further eastward into the Sassanian Empire? Or would it have been absorbed either by the Romans or Sassanians eventually?
Well it could avoid being absorbed by the Roman depending on the butterfly effect of the Palmyrene kicking Roman ass make . But I would say could probably easily have survived for a century or two if there have not to worry about Roman invasion .

Last edited:
Keeping the capital in Palmyra was fundamentally unsound. If they moved it to Alexandria instead, I could see the ''Empire'' being able to hold its ground in the short and medium term. It would require a strong naval presence in the Mediterranean, however.

View attachment 651296

Edit: Alternatively you could have Zenobia expand a bit to the northwest and set up her capital in Nicomedia or, with a lot of ASB-ish foresight, in Byzantium.
In way it kinds of looks like mameluk Egypt
I know it's unlikely but it would be cool to see an WI of having the pre ottoman conquest of Egypt borders but with rome Persia and Palmyra

Last edited: