How important was the Dunkirk evacuation ?

How important was the Dunkirk evacuation ?

• Total voters
If Operation Dynamo is complete failure the British Army will have lost 215,000 soldiers more than OTL. To put this in perspective:
Total number of British PoWs during WWII: 220,000.
Total death: 383,700.

This will not be a knock-out blow to the Allied war-effort but it will be crippling.

Deleted member 94680

But during those few weeks additional troops were moved from Britain to France.
I know, the Second BEF. Hence why I referred to the Second BEF being evacuated.
That speech was made on 18 June, after the fall of Paris.
I know. Hence “a few weeks later” in my post that you’ve avoided quoting. The point I was making was even as things got worse there was no call for surrender. Once the House had made its mind up - not basing that decision on the evacuation of 350,000 men but hoping for 45,000 - they were sticking the course.
Of course not. But it would also be affected by loss of the BEF at Dunkirk.
We disagree.
It has been pointed out that before Dunkirk, when the loss of the BEF seemed unavoidable, Britain did not contemplate leaving the war. My point is that at that time, France had not collapsed. When France had collapsed OTL, that was after the successful evacuation at Dunkirk.
My point is that is a misreading of the reading of the situation both tactical and historical from a British point of view. The main point was the Empire was safe and the Home Islands even more so.
It would appear that neither blow (potential loss of the BEF; actual French collapse) would be enough by itself to cause Britain to give it up. But that does not prove that the two blows together would not be.
See above. I disagree.

Now, if the loss of the BEF was followed by the Fall of France and the loss of Egypt...

If Operation Dynamo is complete failure the British Army will have lost 215,000 soldiers more than OTL. To put this in perspective:

This will not be a knock-out blow to the Allied war-effort but it will be crippling.
I'm not so sure if it would be crippling. The losses in WW1 were a lot bigger. And the losses of Germany in both wars even bigger.

I'm not so sure if it would be crippling. The losses in WW1 were a lot bigger. And the losses of Germany in both wars even bigger.
They would be crippling for the next year or two at least. Wasn't the Wehrmacht crippled after Stalingrad?

Total number of troops Operation Crusader: 118,000
Total number of Allied forces First Battle of El Alamein: 150,000
Total number of Allied forces Operation Torch: 109,000

215,000 troops is a lot and something's gotta give.

They would be crippling for the next year or two at least. Wasn't the Wehrmacht crippled after Stalingrad?

Total number of troops Operation Crusader: 118,000
Total number of Allied forces First Battle of El Alamein: 150,000
Total number of Allied forces Operation Torch: 109,000

215,000 troops is a lot and something's gotta give.
Actually the Germans were already crippled after the winter of 1941-42. Most divisions never got upto strength again. Losses at Barbarossa were much higher than the allied losses in the west. But they managed to launch Operation Blue nonetheless.

marathag

Banned
the top generals of later fame would also be going into the bag.

If we imagine that the sea routes are closed and LW dominates the skies, Monty, Brooke, Alexander, .... will all be either dead or POW's
Luftwaffe wasn't that good to cut off sea routes.
Dunkirk evac fails from the Heer taking the Channel Ports, not air denial from LW or Sea denial by the KM

Garrison

Donor
I heard somewhere that Hitler actually wanted the evacuation to succeed. He was afraid that otherwise Britain will ask for peace and he wouldn't have any excuse to offer uncle Joe for the armies concentrated on his border. There is no proof for this theory, but it makes sense nevertheless.
It's a piece of postwar nonsense created by German Generals eager to polish their resumes, part of the 'if it wasn't for Hitler's stupid decisions...' mythology. The tenacious defence of the Dunkirk pocket by British and French troops didn't fit the narrative of the overwhelming power of Blitzkrieg promoted by the Germans and embraced by certain elements in Britain and France. After all if Blitzkrieg was some world shaking new tactic carried out by an ultra modern army then the military leadership of the Allies was exonerated from responsibility for the fall of France. Any other scenario leads to awkward questions about the performance of French and British Generals.

This quote from a German army report prepared for units training for Operation Sealion probably come closer to the truth of why Operation Dynamo succeeded:

The English soldier [sic] was in excellent physical condition. He bore his own wounds with stoical calm. The losses of his own
troops he discussed with complete equanimity. He did not complain of hardships. In battle he was tough and dogged.
His conviction that England would conquer in the end was unshakeable . . .

mial42

Gone Fishin'
That being said, how does the loss of the BEF affect the rest of the war, assuming no peace? I'd assume that Axis would do better in North Africa in 1940-41 (but logistics seriously limits how far they can go), and Barbarossa probably wouldn't be significantly affected (although the Germans will definitely take casualties clearing the pocket). The real butterflies come with the clearing of North Africa and then the invasion of Southern Europe OTL: the US will need to gear up even quicker, because Britain just won't have the troops to contribute as they did OTL. Do these get delayed or weakened? If so, how does this affect the Eastern Front?

I'd expect post-war to see an even weaker Britain (materially and diplomatically), while the Soviet Union would be worse off materially due to additional losses, but have more of a sphere of influence in Europe (due to a slower and weaker ground war in the west). The US would also take more casualties, but still comes off very lightly compared to the other major combatants, and is even more dominant outside the USSR's sphere (with both Britain and France weaker than OTL, and West Germany probably smaller).

That implies no one who evacuated from Dunkirk died or was captured in any of the subsequent campaigns of WWII.

Which is the say that that's some severe double counting.

Last edited:
That implies no one who evacuated from Dieppe died or was captured in any of the subsequent campaigns of WWII.

Which is the say that that's some severe double counting.
Sorry, should have made myself more clear: the British Army will have lost 215,000 more men than OTL at that point. The other numbers mentioned were to put things in perspective.

It's a piece of postwar nonsense created by German Generals eager to polish their resumes, part of the 'if it wasn't for Hitler's stupid decisions...' mythology. The tenacious defence of the Dunkirk pocket by British and French troops didn't fit the narrative of the overwhelming power of Blitzkrieg promoted by the Germans and embraced by certain elements in Britain and France. After all if Blitzkrieg was some world shaking new tactic carried out by an ultra modern army then the military leadership of the Allies was exonerated from responsibility for the fall of France. Any other scenario leads to awkward questions about the performance of French and British Generals.

This quote from a German army report prepared for units training for Operation Sealion probably come closer to the truth of why Operation Dynamo succeeded:
I think one of Professor Devereux's articles (in the 'Helm's Deep' series, I think) over on 'A Collection of Unmitigated Pedantry' pointed out that if you're giving a good pre-battle speech you emphasise how tough the fighting to come may be, regardless of how difficult you expect it to actually be.

Garrison

Donor
I think one of Professor Devereux's articles (in the 'Helm's Deep' series, I think) over on 'A Collection of Unmitigated Pedantry' pointed out that if you're giving a good pre-battle speech you emphasise how tough the fighting to come may be, regardless of how difficult you expect it to actually be.

Except this was a report prepared by one of the Corps that actually fought at Dunkirk for training purposes, not some stirring pre-battle speech and it tends to be backed up by the facts of the battle, which cannot be said for the 'Hitler let them escape' or 'if not for the halt order...' nonsense.

In WWII, Germany was a complete dictatorship fighting another complete dictatorship for national survival. As the nominal threat of a direct invasion faded, UK national survival was not at stake. As a result, the political leadership of both Germany and the USSR could ignore casualties rates that western democracies nations could not.

In contrast, the UK was a democracy where individual lives mattered. Firing squads could not be used to stifle discontent in the population nor in the Armed Forces. Thus, after 970,000 WWI deaths, British strategic planners were playing on a very different field than Germany and the USSR and needed to plan accordingly.

The Germans also had a secret weapon in the form of demographics. Prior to WWI, the German birth rate in both Catholic and Protestant areas remained unusually high for an industrialized nation. Germany then maintained this high birth rate into the post WWI era despite the tremendous economic hardships. This gave them larger "classes" of conscripts for each year.

Last edited:
I know. Hence “a few weeks later” in my post that you’ve avoided quoting.
??? I quoted that line and referenced it.
The point I was making was even as things got worse there was no call for surrender.
From 26 May to 4 June, things got better, not worse, with the successful evacuation of the BEF frm Dunkirk. Then things got worse again, with the fall of France. That was a new disaster, not anticipated. in May - or there would not have been a Second BEF.
Now, if the loss of the BEF was followed by the Fall of France and the loss of Egypt...
Why would the fall of Egypt, thousands of km from Britain, and presumably months later, cause such a panic?