how horrifying is this map?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Warning
1668852032504.png

this is the ethnic map of South Africa in a scenario I've been working on where Churchill wins the 1945 election. south west africa is excluded
key:
orange = black
gun grey = asian
blue = coloured
Biege = white
the year is 1959

Last edited:

ahmedali

Banned
Churchill's victory in 1945 is very difficult because the British are tired of the conservatives because they have been ruling continuously since 1935.

You need to end the war a year or two early to give the Tories time to organize their campaigns

Churchill's victory in 1945 is very difficult because the British are tired of the conservatives because they have been ruling continuously since 1935.

You need to end the war a year or two early to give the Tories time to organize their campaigns
basically Labour goes hard left far earlier to such a degree it becomes officially republican
it goes down like a lead balloon

ahmedali

Banned
basically Labour goes hard left far earlier to such a degree it becomes officially republican
it goes down like a lead balloon

The Labor Party, however radical, never attempted to abolish the monarchy

George V is respected by the Labor Party in particular because he facilitated their accession to power

If he shows himself to be a Republican, a moderate party will defect from him

The Labor Party, however radical, never attempted to abolish the monarchy

George V is respected by the Labor Party in particular because he facilitated their accession to power

If he shows himself to be a Republican, a moderate party will defect from him
honestly considering militant went outright Trotskyite OTL, it's not as big a leap as you might think

ahmedali

Banned
honestly considering militant went outright Trotskyite OTL, it's not as big a leap as you might think
True, but he will not commit political suicide

If the Labor Party made itself a republic, it would be outlawed or lose its popular support

(The period from 1919 to 1936 is the height of the monarchy’s popularity and increased when George V accepted the Labor Party’s assumption of power)

David Flin

Gone Fishin'

Well, yes, but Militant was launched in 1964.

The situation in 1964 was not the same as the situation in the inter-war period.

If you're going to use inter-war Labour party as a divergence, you really need to map out how the various splits would manifest.

this is the ethnic map of South Africa....
What does "ethnic map" mean? Does the color of a district represent
  • the predominant (over 50%) ethnic group?
  • the predominant (largest % but no minimum) ethnic group?
  • the only ethnic group? (i.e. following a period of population exchanges)
  • the ethnic group having political control?
in a scenario I've been working on where Churchill wins the 1945 election. south west africa is excluded
key:
orange = black
gun grey = asian
blue = coloured
Bague = white
The colors I see are orange, yellow, blue, and light green. What is "Bague"?
the year is 1959
That depends on what it actually represents.

Those colors are weird. What is ‘bague’ supposed to be? And what does yellow represent, since it’s not mentioned in the legend? I also see no ‘gun grey’ (?) anywhere. I’m very confused lol.

Last edited:
View attachment 790335
this is the ethnic map of South Africa in a scenario I've been working on where Churchill wins the 1945 election. south west africa is excluded
key:
orange = black
gun grey = asian
blue = coloured
Bague = white
the year is 1959
Well you've expanded some Bantustans and abolished others but it is as unrealistic and unsustainable as Verwoerds 🤷‍♂️

What does "ethnic map" mean? Does the color of a district represent
  • the predominant (over 50%) ethnic group?
  • the predominant (largest % but no minimum) ethnic group?
  • the only ethnic group? (i.e. following a period of population exchanges)
  • the ethnic group having political control?

The colors I see are orange, yellow, blue, and light green. What is "Bague"?

That depends on what it actually represents.
majority/plurality ethnic group of each district
most districts outside urban areas are pretty homogenous given the several wide scale deportations, forced relocations and the couple genocides
1669493443810.png

here are the Bantustans, the dark purple, palest green and light green are all temporary settlement areas
everywhere else is under direct control of the white population
the bantustans are officially autonomous provinces, generally allowed to run themselves with some oversight by Pretoria. no independence though.

for some context, this is what happened to the blacks of South Africa outside the cities in TTL
deported in their entirety

Swazi

Tsonga

Herro

Ovambo

San

Nama

partially deported and the remainder confined to border strip

Sotho, around 60% confined to a 30 mile strip along the Lesotho border with exceptions for white owned areas

Tswana, 50% confined to the areas roughly corresponding the Bechuanaland colony

Pedi, 40% confined to a strip along the Limpopo about 30 miles wide

Bantustan set up with all non-urban tribe members forced to move to said Bantustan

Zulu

Xhosa

Venda

Kavango

Lozi

Damara

Himba

Baster

1669495295501.png

OTL's ethnic map, same key as the original
gun grey here is used to represent mixed, due to the ethnic homogeneity of South Africa in TTL, this colour represents Asians on the original map
just for context

for some context, this is what happened to the blacks of South Africa outside the cities in TTL
deported in their entirety

Swazi

Tsonga

Herro

Ovambo

San

Nama

partially deported and the remainder confined to border strip

Sotho, around 60% confined to a 30 mile strip along the Lesotho border with exceptions for white owned areas

Tswana, 50% confined to the areas roughly corresponding the Bechuanaland colony

Pedi, 40% confined to a strip along the Limpopo about 30 miles wide

Bantustan set up with all non-urban tribe members forced to move to said Bantustan

Zulu

Xhosa

Venda

Kavango

Lozi

Damara

Himba

Baster
So, genocide

Status
Not open for further replies.