"How Few Remain" TV Miniseries in the Works

well fuck those guys then; if they wish the Confederates had won then they oughta just suck it up and see how much of an authoritarian hellhole it would be. in fact, the CSA (at least in the earlier parts) of TL-191 is probably better than it would be if they had actually won

I am willing to give Turtledove a pass on that, because Longstreet was President and he's awesome.

Honestly, I'd be fine with them stopping at the end of the Great War books. The later parts of American Empire and especially Settling Accounts read like he just pulled up a history of World War II and ran a find and replace tool through it.

I am willing to give Turtledove a pass on that, because Longstreet was President and he's awesome.

Honestly, I'd be fine with them stopping at the end of the Great War books. The later parts of American Empire and especially Settling Accounts read like he just pulled up a history of World War II and ran a find and replace tool through it.
well remember, Turtledove--and the people who will (hopefully) be making this miniseries--have a general audience in mind, not the alternate history community. while we of AH.com generally strive for plausibility, being plausible about every tiny detail would just turn off general audiences. hell, i'm sure it turns off alot of us AH nuts, too

well remember, Turtledove--and the people who will (hopefully) be making this miniseries--have a general audience in mind, not the alternate history community. while we of AH.com generally strive for plausibility, being plausible about every tiny detail would just turn off general audiences. hell, i'm sure it turns off alot of us AH nuts, too

There's also budget to consider. Some of the scenes will probably have to be toned down or use a hell of a lot of CGI.

Ooh, this looks interesting!

Although, I wondered how The Guns of the South or in In the Presence of Mine Enemies would look as a miniseries.

Ooh, this looks interesting!

Although, I wondered how The Guns of the South or in In the Presence of Mine Enemies would look as a miniseries.
in my opinion, standalone books like that would work better as films. they'd have to cut out some of the fluff--alot of which can be covered just by visual presentation, like showing the Volkshalle with a satellite dish on top of it in In the Presence of Mine Enemies rather than explicitly describing it--but you'd be able to get most/all of the story while still cutting out a few details (to use ITPOME again, instead of stating on the radio that some Jews were found hiding in the Balkans, there's a brief moment where you see someone reading a newspaper reflecting that fact, or one of the characters overhears it during his commute at a different time than when it comes up in teh book)

personally, if i were to pick any of Turtledove's books to make into a film, though, i'd start with Guns of the South since it's arguably his most famous standalone book

Yeah. In fact, that was one of the most jarring things when I first read the series. When I read How Few Remain, I got used to the idea of reading from the perspective of major historical figures like TR, Custer, Stonewall, etc. I went into the Great War trilogy expecting to see more of Roosevelt, Woodrow Wilson, and other historical figures, so it was a little jarring at first that they decided to switch to having it be from the perspective only of everyday people. It might be jarring for casual viewers too, who might watch a scene with one of the characters and ask "who are these people? Where's Theodore Roosevelt? Oh wait, there he is-no, now he's gone again."

Worse, the back cover of my paperback copy of AF made it look like the presidents were major characters.

By the end of the series, it was clear that this was done so as to show the coming of age of a generation of people who lived through the two world wars, some of whom rose from simple soldier in the First Great War to the leaders of the Second Great War. If this series does decide to do the same, then I agree, they should cut out the less significant characters and focus on those who do remain significant throughout the series. Featherston, Flora Hamburger, Anne Colleton, Clarence Potter, Jefferson Pinkard, Irving Morrell, Abner Dowling, Scipio, Cassius, and people like that.

Good idea, along with a few of the more important characters who died along the way, for dramatic impact.

Personally, I think they would avoid the whole "US allied with Germany" thing so as not to have what they perceive as negative connotation. They might simply ignore the rest of the world (not that hard a thing considering how turtledove wrote it) and simply have North vs South....

.....WITH TANKS !

(sorry, barrels.....)

PS: if they trim the fat a bit it might actually help make it less tedious by avoiding the "tobacco hasn't be good since the beginning of the war" and the like being repeated ad nauseam.

there is room to trim, to be sure, but looking on it, both wars basically retell the actualy OTL Civil War, just with more brutal methods.

Personally, I think they would avoid the whole "US allied with Germany" thing so as not to have what they perceive as negative connotation.

And that would be a shame. Given how HFR ended, the US/German alliance is both the single most plausible and the single most interesting element of the entire series.

Oh gods...will that mean we will see the Custer sex scenes?
i'd imagine they would relegate it to sex like what's seen in most series, entirely off-screen with only visual indication (e.g., Custer and his wife in bed and clearly not wearing anything but not showing anything either). sex scenes in general are what i'd trim out, as they largely have no impact on the story with a few exceptions, just like they (hopefully) wouldn't acknowledge Carsten's sunburn except by showing one scene of him putting on the zinc oxide cream and every other scene having him either with the sunscreen already applied or with him looking a little red

Oh shit you mean that "How Few Remain" (my fault for only reading the ones about Featherson and WWII.)

I thought this would be some boring Zombie cult classic or something.

Bets for this not going anywhere? I doubt this will ever see TV screen time.

As a point of reference, does anyone remember SciFi Channel's bastardization of "Riverworld"? Both of them?!?

Dipping very lightly into the 5 novels plus several short stories to use for plot and characters, they more resembled episodes of "Xena" rather than anything of Farmer's creation.

If this does get made, I fear we will see just more of the same.:mad:

As a point of reference, does anyone remember SciFi Channel's bastardization of "Riverworld"? Both of them?!?

Dipping very lightly into the 5 novels plus several short stories to use for plot and characters, they more resembled episodes of "Xena" rather than anything of Farmer's creation.

If this does get made, I fear we will see just more of the same.:mad:

On the other hand, those Dune miniseries were pretty fantastic.