Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen it suggested that if animation never developed the "just for kids" stigma in America, there could've been an American anime boom as early as the 1970s. Though admittedly, I could be misremembering.

Maybe if anime gets big earlier, we'll be able to avoid the "Kimba was ripped off by The Lion King" myth.

Last edited:
The triple whammy of Pokémon, Dragonball Z and Sailor Moon were key in this. You had the traditional appeal to certain demographics with them and Pokémon being attached to a huge merchandise shifter and pop culture phenomenon. To create an earlier anime boom, you'd need shows that would fit a similar slot as well as the companies willing to continue to look for anime to meet the demand for it.

I've seen it suggested that if animation never developed the "just for kids" stigma in America, there could've been an American anime boom as early as the 1970s. Though admittedly, I could be misremembering.

Maybe if anime gets big earlier, we'll be able to avoid the "Kimba was ripped off by The Lion King" myth.
I'd say maybe a bit earlier than the '70's....
Speed_Racer_promotional_image.jpg

I feel like if things were just slightly different in the 1980s, an earlier anime boom could've happened that rode alongside the success of action animation of that time.

Speed Racer(Meteoro/Meteor in Spanish) was a huge hit in latin america, but seems was just a minor stuff in USA
Yeah, it seems like the only thing Americans know about it is its unnaturally fast dialogue. Which is appropriate for something with "speed" in the title, granted, but still.

Speed Racer(Meteoro/Meteor in Spanish) was a huge hit in latin america, but seems was just a minor stuff in USA
I watched it all the time when I was a kid (in syndication, of course! I'm not quite that old :p)
In 1979 though, I got downright hooked on "Star Blazers" aka Space Battleship Yamato... that was my 1st (and to date only) soap opera addiction :)

The late 1970s/early 1980s, maybe? Some corners of Europe and South America first started airing anime back then, and American animation was not doing too well.

couldnt yamato and gundam have potentially broken through (yamato moreso and gundam with a way earlier distribution)? gundam also has the massive merchandise wave to carry it

Obviously, Astro Boy was popular in America in the 1960s, but it was treated no different than Scooby Doo, Flintstones, Rocky and Bullwinkle, and others at the time. Anime had to be a bit more fluid earlier (not like the 1980s) in order to a popular anime in America before the 1980s.

couldnt yamato and gundam have potentially broken through (yamato moreso and gundam with a way earlier distribution)? gundam also has the massive merchandise wave to carry it
Yamato did was dubbed and localized...and seems was a white noise in USA, Robotech seems was more popular ( so much I thought was made in USA)

Yamato did was dubbed and localized...and seems was a white noise in USA, Robotech seems was more popular ( so much I thought was made in USA)
I dunno... maybe Yamato was a bit "faddish", but I remember at one point, it wasn't just me but pretty much everybody I knew at my elementary school was keeping up with it...
I remember watching a lot of "Battle of the Planets"/Gatchaman too, around the same time...

Status
Not open for further replies.