How could the First Mexican Empire survive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A Queen or Empress Victoria on the Mexican throne is appealing simply since it may also do a great deal of attracting British foreign investment, and perhaps even see the adoption of the Westminster system. Although my only critique of Victoria is the number of her children that were hemophiliacs, which could be crippling for a young royal household. Unless you are able to butterfly away that point.
If she had a different husband then her kids would have different genes.

Having less hemophiliacs is then a possibility. There's no way of knowing for sure.

The British investment would be the main win.
In regards to hemophilia, I don't think this is that big of a concern. Emperor Agustin had 9 kids, and 7 lived to adulthood. And even though all of them, with the exception of Josefa who died at 76, died relatively young between their mid-30s and 60s most of them had children. If Victoria is as fruitful as she was in OTL and Agustin Jeronimo takes after his father, the problem won't be a lack of royals but rather how to maintain such a large royal family.

You know the main way I see this working is if there is no Canada, thus Mexico would provide a welcome destination for British goods and emigrants that might have gone to America IOTL.
If there's no Canada then America is too strong.
Canada can still be there down the line, British North America would not be Confederated for 50 years. Mexico might profit as a destination from some British investment that otherwise went to Canada or any other colony, but there is enough of it spread across the globe that the effects of it could be diffused across all colonies dominion to minimize other butterflies. Meanwhile, the stronger stabler Mexico with steady European investment could act as a counterbalance to the US... even though the US will still be the more robust economy and stronger power (unless it pulls an Argentina at some point).

Last edited:
Because I am a nerd, wanting to write some royal fanfiction, I did this today instead of being productive:

A Quick Sketch and Timeline of First Ministers of México during the reign of Agustín I

Agustín I (r. 1821 – 1846)
  • José Manuel de Herrera (1821 – 1823) – appointed by Agustín de Iturbide to lead the Constituent Congress, as the Emperor FM de Herrera finds himself frequently at odds with Congress. Nevertheless, he is considered a key figure in shaping Mexico’s constitutional monarchy.
  • Pedro Celestino Negrete (Liberal, 1823 – 1824) – Pressure by Congress and threats of a Republican coup forces the Emperor’s hand into appointing a Liberal FM. Negrete is appointed as a compromise candidate in order to prevent liberal leaders like Nicolas Bravo, Guadalupe Victoria from backing General López de Santa Anna’s Plan de Casa Mata. The compromise works, and the lack of support for his plan forces Santa Anna to back down.
  • Congress officially votes on a Constitution which establishes México as a monarchy. From this point forward, the First Minister and other Ministerial positions are to be elected by Congress rather than appointed by the Emperor.
    In 1824 the Prince Imperial, Agustín Jerónimo is sent to Ampleforth College in North Yorkshire (as in OTL BTW) to finish complete studies where he becomes familiar and enamored with English culture.
  • Guadalupe Victoria (Liberal, 1824 – 1829) – first constitutionally elected FIRST MINISTER (i.e. not appointed by the Emperor but elected by Congress and confirmed by the Emperor). The Emperor and the FM continuously buttheads disagreeing on almost every issue of governance; the Emperor is advised not to dismiss the First Minister due to his popularity within the army. Dismissing Victoria would likely result in a coup against him. The Emperor instead opts to freely express his veto power, the most prominent example is when he vetoed the proposed expulsion of prominent Spanish families from Mexico in 1827.
    In the latter years of Victoria’s tenure Agustin I embarks on a tour through the major monarchical strongholds in Puebla, Queretaro, Guanajuato, and coastal Mexico (Guerrero), building a strong base of support for the Imperial family with the Mexican people.
  • Manuel Gomez Pedraza(Moderate, 1829 – 1829) – In response to the multiple stalemates between the Victoria government and the Emperor, a new “moderate” government is elected with high hopes of getting things done. However, the election is once again contested by a liberal faction under the leadership of Santa Anna and Vicente Guerrero.
    • Emperor Agustin’s hand is forced during the attempted coup, opting to lead the charge against the insurrectionists himself. The Emperor once again gains the respect of the army, but his actions result in continuous infighting within Congress between members who support the Emperor and those who criticize Gomez Pedraza for allowing the Emperor the freedom to lead the army. Gomez Pedraza shortly resigns.
    • Meanwhile, upon completion of his studies in Yorkshire, the Prince Imperial returns to México from Europe before being sent on a diplomatic mission to Gran Columbia where he befriends President Simón Bolívar. He would later serve as a diplomat to the United States (1833), London (1835 – 1836) and the Papal States (1836 – 1839) before finally returning to México.
  • José María Bocanegra (Liberal Constitutionalist 1829 -1830) – In the wake of Pedraza's resignation, a new liberal government is elected. Unlike Guadalupe Victoria, Bocanegra leads a constitutionalist faction that is willing to work alongside the Emperor. Bocanegra successfully deals with the Santa Anna coup. Santa Anna is sent to exile, while the Emperor pardons his former friend, Vicente Guerrero, earning him the respect of many liberals.
  • Anastasio Bustamante(Conservative, 1830 – 1832) – Despite Bocanegra’s success, the liberals are unable to remain in power as the monarchical faction grows in popularity. In 1830 a Conservative government elects Anastasio Bustamante as First Minister. For the first time in nearly a decade, the Emperor has a First Minister that thoroughly back the monarchy.
    • However, a protest in Zacatecas against Bustamante’s centralizing policies results in the conservatives being ousted shortly after.
  • Valentín Gómez Farías (Liberal 1832 – 1835) – like GV before him Farías frequently clashes with the Emperor and the monarchist faction. Farías holds an uneasy coalition throughout his tenure but actually manages to get a few financial reforms before the Conservatives return to power.
  • Miguel Barragán * (Conservative 1835 – 1835) - Barragán is elected as a moderate conservative, but shortly dies in office
  • José Justo Corro (Conservative 1835 – 1837) – Corro steps in as interim FM in the wake of Barragán’s death. As a hardline conservative Corro pushes legislation that results in multiple rebellions across the frontier. Most notably, Anglo-American settlers in Texas attempt to declare their independence.
    The Emperor rejoices at the possibility of once again leading the army alongside General Urrea. There are tensions between both veteran leaders along the campaign, but they successfully squash the rebellion in the Battles of Goliad and San Jacinto. Texas is placed under military occupation with General Urrea at its head. Sporadic rebellions continue throughout the next decade.
    • Meanwhile, during his time as ambassador to London, the Prince Imperial meets Victoria of Kent, cousin to Queen Charlotte, for the first time. Much to her mother’s annoyance, the pair hit it off and begin writing to each other frequently.
  • Anastasio Bustamante(Conservative 1837 – 1841 ) – Bustamante returns to power with a new conservative coalition.
    • Meanwhile, in 1839 the Prince Imperial returns to London on a final diplomatic mission. With blessings from King Leopold, her maternal uncle, Victoria of Kent accepts Agusín Jerónimo’s marriage proposal. The Prince Imperial returns to México with his bride to be and a contingent of British diplomats and potential investors.
    • The Prince Imperial and Victoria of Kent marry in a lavish ceremony in the Cathedral of México City. The royal marriage coupled with the Emperor’s success in dealing with the rebellion in Texas, marks a high point for the monarchy’s popularity in the minds of the people and the army since independence. Although there is still some discontent amongst the liberals, this is mostly relegated to the most radical factions.
    • Most of the imperial family warms up to the English Princess consort, however, her proper English demeanor never quite clicks with most of the women at court. Some members of the clergy, also express doubt about the Princess Consort's true conversion to Catholicism.
  • Nicolás Bravo (Conservative 1841 – 1845) - a former liberal, Bravo succeeds Bustamante under a conservative and moderate coalition (as in OTL Bravo has changed parties at this point). Bravo’s shift from Liberal to Moderate Conservative marks how much the monarchy is now taken for granted in Mexico.
  • José Mariano Salas(Conservative 1845 – 1846) – After a decade of Conservative “stability” Emperor Agustín I dies. The wake of his death provides a short window of opportunity for the radical liberals to act. With American backing, Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna sneaks back into Mexico and quickly rallies a power base in his native Xalapa, Veracruz.
    • At the same time, the settlers in Texas rebel once more hoping for independence. While in Yucatan, a broad indigenist movement rebels against the government in Merida, declaring a Maya free state “Cruzob” based in the southeastern end of the peninsula.
Mexico's Imperial Family:

Agustín I (1783 - 1846, r. 1821 – 1846) – m. Ana María de Huarte y Muñiz
--1. Agustín II (1807 – 1866, r. 1846 – 1866) – m. Alexandrina Victoria of Kent (Charlotte survives in TTL, and Victoria has kicked down the succession line. See previous posts). Aware of the Imperial Family’s precarious position, and the Republican threat, Empress Victoria makes a concerted effort to tie all her children to the royal families of Europe when possible (help me find the missing candidates) and prominent families in Mexico and Britain when it is not.
----- 1.A. Agustin III (1840 – 1901) m. Princess Dagmar of Denmark crowned as Empress María Sofía of Mexico, (because Dagmar is awesome and she might be willing to embark on a Mexican adventure; her older sister likely marries Queen Charlotte's grandson so Alexandra still gets to be Queen of the UK, although Russia now needs a new bride).
----- 1.B. Princess Victoria María (1841 – 1910, r. 1866 – 1910) – m. Archduke Maximilian of Austria (because of course Max still runs off to Mexican adventure of his own).
----- 1.C. Prince Ernesto Jerónimo (1843 – 1878)
----- 1.D. Alicia Empress of Brazil (1844 – 1900) m. Afonso I Emperor of Brazil (it just makes sense if Afonso survives both Imperial crowns in the Americas will end up intermarrying)
----- 1.E. Prince Salvador Arturo (1846 – 1923)
----- 1.F. Prince Jorge (1848 – 1939)
----- 1.G. Princess Elena (1850 – 1942)
----- 1.H. Princess Louisa Carolina (1853 – 1884)
----- 1.I. Princess Beatriz (1857 – 1944)
-- 2. Princess Sabina María (1810 – 1871)
-- 3. Princess Juana (1812 – 1828)
-- 4. Princess Josefa (1814 – 1891)
-- 5. Prince Ángel (1816 – 1872)
-- 5. Princess María de Jesús (1818 – 1849)
-- 6. Princess María Dolores (1819 - ?)
-- 7. Prince Salvador María (1820 – 1856)
-- 8. Prince Felipe (1822 – 1853)
-- 9. Prince Agustín Cosme (1823 - ?)

Last edited:
So, I was reading a little bit more into this, rereading Caton’s La Otra Historia de México (highly recommended) and I’m realizing that Iturbide committed some easily avoidable mistakes that would have otherwise kept him on the throne.

At the start of his Emperorship, Iturbide was very popular with the people, including most of the elites, who saw him as the best way to maintain the status quo while gaining independence. Even before Congress crowned him as emperor, Iturbide already held near-absolute power as President of the Provisional Junta.

From what I’ve read, Congress did not oppose Iturbide, because he was crowned Emperor; Iturbide was after all crowned by Congress, and Congress was initially formed by the request of Iturbide and the Provisional Junta; in a sense, Congress was returning the favor. Likewise the army – at least initially – did not specifically call for Iturbide’s abdication. Santa Anna’s initial Plan de Veracruz called for the restitution of Congress and the drafting of a constitution, not the removal of the Emperor. It wasn't until the opposition against Iturbide coalesced in the Plan de Casa Mata, that Santa Anna and company began calling for his abdication.

However, everything began to unravel because the Emperor and Congress could not agree on how to share power when they first sat down to draft a constitution. Congress saw itself as sovereign and the “keeper” of the legislative, executive, and judicial functions – separation of powers be damned – and the Emperor mostly as a figurehead, who had been crowned by Congress. Meanwhile, Iturbide wished for Emperor and the National Junta (think of it as his Cabinet) to retain executive power and for Congress to be a tad more representational (i.e. elected rather than appointed). It is easy to see how the drafting of the Constitution resulted in a stalemate. It was during this stalemate that Iturbide made several mistakes that could have easily been avoided.

Firstly, he promoted too many of his friends within the army too fast. This angered the established command and created the top-heavy officer corps that crippled the army for years to come. Iturbide could have found other ways to reward his followers and friends – say giving them large estates in the northern frontier – over army posts and promotions.

Secondly, when Iturbide reached a deadlock with Congress and chose to dismiss it, the Emperor became increasingly autocratic. By censoring the press and locking up as many dissidents as he could possibly suspect, Iturbide turned most of the intellectual and legal body against him. Naturally, this helped add fuel to the fire of those who opposed him.

And thirdly, in a stupid attempt to have the people rally behind him, Iturbide abolished several taxes – a policy that quickly drained the coffers – only to backtrack shortly after and increase property taxes instead. This became a surefire way to turn the elites and landowning class against him. Subsequently, without a healthy treasury, Iturbide was unable to pay the bloated officer corps he created in the first place. Slowly but surely the army then began to turn against him as well.

These mistakes could have and should have been avoided if Iturbide and Congress had reached an agreement. And Congress had been allowed to legislate on matters of taxation, freedom of the press, expansion of the army, and payment of veterans and officers.

Nevertheless, had things progressed as in OTL and Iturbide was still willing to go down the autocratic path, dismiss Congress, and risk inciting an upstart like Santa Anna to rebel, he might have still retained power by keeping the rest of the army happy. Iturbide’s final mistake in OTL, and the nail on the coffin to his emperorship, was sending inexperienced and recently promoted officers, like General Echávarri, to lead the charge against the insurgents. When Santa Anna rebelled, the Imperial army had already defeated Generals Bravo and Guerrero and had Guadalupe Victoria was pretty much surrounded. However, Echávarri ended up turning on the Empire and joining Santa Anna, which in turn freed Victoria and allowed Bravo and Guerrero to regroup. Within a few weeks, the tide had turned and the insurgents had the upper hand. Had Iturbide led the army himself it might have been enough to disincentivize further betrayals.

Remember that the goal of the rebellion, until the formation of the Plan de Casa Mata, was to simply reinstate Congress and let it decide on the style of government. Even after the Plan de Casa Mata formed, General Bravo swore to abide by the decision of Congress even if Congress decided to stay as a Constitutional Empire. However, by this point, Iturbide’s spiral into autocracy meant this was very unlikely. So even if the rebellion had been defeated and the army kept happy, Iturbide would be resented and it is unlikely the monarchy would have survived.

With this in mind, I think Iturbide’s root mistake was allowing a Congress to form before the Provisional Junta drafted a Constitution or at the very least an outline for one. All they had agreed on was to abide by the Three Guarantees and to not base the new government on Spain’s Cadiz Constitution. Iturbide and the Junta should have drafted a constitutional outline first and call for the election of a representational Congress while they still held near-absolute power and the backing of the army. Like in OTL, this Constitution would first extend the invitation to a member of a European royal house, and in the case that no one takes the offer have the Junta name a Mexican noble (i.e. Iturbide) as Emperor. It is very much like OTL but allows Iturbide to keep the upper hand from the get-go while establishing the much-needed separation of powers before anything else.

Anyways if there is interest, I might write a quick TL based on the outline above and my previous post. It won’t be a long TL, just a more detailed outline of my previous post, which continues in roughly that style till the present day (or as far as I get, since I have a habit of not finishing TLs due to RL getting in the way).

Last edited:
Ok, please don't judge. But wouldn't have been smarter for Mexico to have encouraged immigration from Roman Catholic areas in Germany and Ireland to Texas instead of Protestant Americans? Why didn't they do this otl?
They tried but failed. There were attempts to establish European colonies in Mexico, but they failed all the time.
First, they accepted only Catholics, thing that excluded the British, who were the only ones interested in migrating there. Then, the Catholics who accepted were either Germans or Frenchmen, but they usually didn't like the conditions they were going to be subjected or just couldn't adapt themselves to the climate of the region. And of the very few ones who accepted ended causing more problems than what they tried to solve, see the Pastry War.
Also, all of the colonization attempts they did were mainly in Central Mexico, anyway. Northern Mexico was too dangerous to make any colonization project viable, in first place.

After seeing @Sārthākā's recent thread on the Second Mexican Empire, I decided I'd start one on the First.

Whether by coup or genuine popular support, Agustín de Iturbide was declared emperor of Mexico in May 1822. Support for him would begin to rapidly decrease after he removed Santa Anna from his post at Veracruz, angering the army, and then disbanding congress in December. Iturbide would be deposed and forced into exile in March 1823, though he would return in 1824 and be captured and executed.

Assessing just how much popular support there was for Agustín I and how genuine it was is not easy, but it seems his reign did not become truly threatened until the removal of Santa Anna and disbanding of congress. If Agustín keeps Santa Anna on side, can it be assumed he'll be able to keep the army under his control?

Also, what could result from a longer-lived First Mexican Empire, and how much would its interactions with the United States and Central America be altered?
Santa Anna only said to bring back congress that was his main goal. Central America is tricky as they only joined as law and order broke down, and liberals in Central America objected to this and declared independence after the overthrow of the empire. Costa Rica was still defacto under UPCA control as they declined to join the empire which resulted into war and they beat the Mexican army in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.