Alcsentre Calanice

Gone Fishin'
In 326 BCE, Alexander III of Macedon invaded India after conquering the Persian Empire. He defeated the local king Porus and made him King of the Indus region (Punjab). But since his army refused to follow him into India, Alexander had to lead his soldiers back to Babylon. He died in this city in 323 BCE. But what if he lived on and cherished the dream to conquer India? How should he prepare for this expedition?

Here the ideas I had:

I. Exploring the terrain
Ancient Greeks know only very little about India, and they know even less about its geography. Even its triangular shape was ignored by them. So it will be of major importance to send spies and ambassadors to explore the country; and Nearchos should circumnavigate India to determine is true size and form.

II. Identifying the enemy
The most important Indian states of the time was the Nanda Empire, ruling Maghade and the surrounding regions. According to Wikipedia, the Nanda Empire could field an incredibly great army - but I don't think that these figures are really reliable. 200,000 infantry, 20,000 cavalry, 2,000 war chariots and 3000 elephants are likely an exaggeration. Anyway, Alexander should expect great numbers of elephants and chariots.

III. Forming a suitable army
The Macedonian infantry and cavalry is superior to the Indian forces, but the war elephants are hard to beat. Javelines can be used to drive back an elephant, so light infantry like archers is required. Chariots will not be a menace to the Greek phalanx, and it's doubtful if the Indian states would use them against Alexander a second time (they had already proved week at the Battle of the Hydaspes).

IV. Establishing a support infrastructure
Given the great numbers required to defeat the numerous Indian armies, efficient logistics are indispensable. The best would be to build roads from the center of the Empire to India, but there is no easy route to take. The northern one runs through modern Afghanistan and the Hindu Kush, while the southern one crosses the desert of Gedrosia. Also, it would be important to establish granaries and water wells along these roads and also in the Indus region. And if there's some intelligent inventor at hand, build a chain of semaphores from India to Babylon, so that reinforcements can easily be request

V. Building a support fleet
Because the roads to India all leads through deserts or high mountains, it might be useful to build a support fleet that ships troops from Babylonia to India to avoid crossing wasteland. This fleet could also transport supplies from the heart of the Empire to India. Getting supplies and reinforcements from Babylon, or even worse, from Greece to India will be hell, but with enough roads and ships it's possible.

Of these steps, especially building the roads and other support buildings will take a long time, and I assume it will all in all take ten years to prepare the Empire for a war against India.

What do you think? Can Alexander conquer India, and how should he do it? How many men does he need?

Last edited:
Alexander could take advantage of the political division in the area to make allies, and, later, satraps.
Other than that, i agree on your figures. Making a navy for better transportation and harassing the coast would be a good idea, but Alex still has to place quite a load of troops in the Punjab and the Indus for this invasion.
Overall, i can see his army going as far as the OTL Bihar region to the northern Deccan. Conquering Kalinga and the southern Tamil states would be a pain due to the supply lines, however.

(Captain Obvious speaking) Alexander would need to regroup a bit... his troops did mutiny after all. I doubt that Alexander would return to India before the 310's or so. I could imagine him pressing into the Subcontinent about as far as the Yamuna river. To go any further would be a logistical nightmare, as I see it.

Another thing to worry about is the capability of Alexander Jr; he only lived for 13 years IOTL, and we never got to see him in action. His father would have to train the boy quite rigorously if the Macedonians' hegemony of India was to last.

I think if Alexander could have gotten a sizeable enough Naval presence on the Indian Ocean and had established safe sea routes along it he could simply get soldiers from Greece/Macedon and marched them across Anatolia to Mesopotamia and down the rivers to the Persian gulf; then from there he could load them on ships and get them to the edge of the Empire much faster.

This is also a good supply route and Mesopotamia was a big exporter of Grain and one needs simply to load grain on barges down the river to be loaded onto supply ships to be carried to troops in India. That along with whatever food the Army can attain by themselves they should be good to go.

As for dealing with Elephants, maybe someone could make an earlier version of the Roman Scorpio? I think the Greeks actually had something similar. And if nothing else once he wins a few battle he could use Elephants himself. It's highly possible that an Indian kingdom could surrender to him in return for a position in the Empire and could add their supply of troops to the Macedonian Ranks. These Indians would be in India so none of this "sorry but we're not going any farther into the unknown" nonsense and do their jobs.

Though I think the Alexander's Empire is destined to fall but the consequences of Hellenistic Phalanx in Indian warfare could be interesting. Not to mention Cultural, Religious, Architectural, technological, and Philosophical exchange that's bound to happen.

Alexander the Great might try invade India second time but he wanted too conquer coastal Arabia and Carthage. So he probably deal with these before returning to India. If Alexander survives from these operations what kind of state his empire is then? And would his generals continue Alexander's endless wars?

Alcsentre Calanice

Gone Fishin'
Probably easier to just use messenger birds to carry messages like that.

Maybe; there's just need for a fast communication system. It can be used during the Indian campaign and then later to manage the gigantic Alexandrian Empire.

Alexander the Great might try invade India second time but he wanted too conquer coastal Arabia and Carthage. So he probably deal with these before returning to India. If Alexander survives from these operations what kind of state his empire is then? And would his generals continue Alexander's endless wars?

As I said I presume the preparations for a war against India might take ten years, so during this time, he will lead his armies against Arabia, Carthago and maybe also Italy and Spain. But when he comes back from the west, he will turn against India.

I don't think he can. India's just way, way, too far from the imperial core. If he waits too long in order to raise a Persian army, suddenly he'll be facing Chandragupta Maurya, who is his equal, and then Alexander's main concern would be defence of his existing Indus satraps.

Ha, I just remembered Darius I of the Achaemenid Empire wanted to do the same thing but couldn't because the Phoenicians (who were the ones building,maintaining and manning his Mediterranean navy) refused to fight against them.

I guess Third time's the charm then?

he will lead his armies against Arabia, Carthago and maybe also Italy and Spain.

Ugh, if Alexander's Empire wasn't suffering from over expansion before it sure as hell would now. Though given there wasn't too many interesting things out west other than Rome, Carthage, and a bit of tidbit Carthaginian and Greek colonies I think he would be content to simply force them into a tributary status of some sort if he has half a brain.

Alcsentre Calanice

Gone Fishin'
I don't think he can. India's just way, way, too far from the imperial core.

Macedonia, his old homeland and core, is just at the same distant from Babylon, his new capital, as India.

suddenly he'll be facing Chandragupta Maurya

Butterflies. Chandragupta built his empire in the context of a collapsing Alexandrian Empire. Do you think Alexander would led him do what he did OTL? If he really tries to expand into Alexander's territories, Chandragupta will face the same fate as Darius III and so many others.

Butterflies. Chandragupta built his empire in the context of a collapsing Alexandrian Empire.

He built his Indus territories in the context of a collapsing Alexandrian Empire, but Chandragupta Maurya was just such an able figure that he would have taken Maghada and aggressively expanded its borders anyways. There was no imperial collapse going on around the Ganges, nor the Deccan, but Chandragupta Maurya was able to conquer both regions anyways.

If he really tries to expand into Alexander's territories, Chandragupta will face the same fate as Darius III and so many others.

You're underestimating Chandragupta Maurya, who was more than willing to adopt new tactics and totally and utterly smashed the Seleucids.

Of course, Alexander was a much greater figure than Seleukos and so may be able to keep Chandragupta Maurya from his Indus satrapies, but total conquest is not in the cards for Alexander. Unlike the Persians, the Maurya were not some rotting empire way past its prime. In fact, it was ruled by a figure that was likely India's first non-legendary great man, with a full grasp of military tactics. There is a very good reason Chandragupta Maurya is nicknamed the Indian Alexander.

He built his Indus territories in the context of a collapsing Alexandrian Empire, but Chandragupta Maurya was just such an able figure that he would have taken Maghada and aggressively expanded its borders anyways. There was no imperial collapse going on around the Ganges, nor the Deccan, but Chandragupta Maurya was able to conquer both regions anyways.

You're underestimating Chandragupta Maurya, who was more than willing to adopt new tactics and totally and utterly smashed the Seleucids.

Of course, Alexander was a much greater figure than Seleukos and so may be able to keep Chandragupta Maurya from his Indus satrapies, but total conquest is not in the cards for Alexander. Unlike the Persians, the Maurya were not some rotting empire way past its prime. In fact, it was ruled by a figure that was likely India's first non-legendary great man, with a full grasp of military tactics. There is a very good reason Chandragupta Maurya is nicknamed the Indian Alexander.
Saying Chandragupta Maurya was Alexander's equal is like saying LeBron James is Michael Jordan's equal. You can't compare two greats who played against different opponents and were not at their prime at the same time.

Saying Chandragupta Maurya was Alexander's equal is like saying LeBron James is Michael Jordan's equal. You can't compare two greats who played against different opponents and were not at their prime at the same time.

I'm just saying, he shouldn't be underestimated, which is what Fuckyeah is doing.

I'm just saying, he shouldn't be underestimated, which is what Fuckyeah is doing.
I agree with you on that aspect, thought from what I remember I do believe Chandragupta was smart enough IOTL to understand to stay clear of Alexander's juggernaut and show deference, and I can begin to imagine a TL where he becomes a trusted ally and ends up after Alexander's death being on par with dividing the empire with the likes of the Macedonians such as Ptolemy and Seleucus and Antipater, et al. Which would cause further strife than the "normal" OTL wars of the successors because now you have a non-Macedonian, and non-Greek at that. Imagine if he became "Alexander's favorite"... might make an interesting TL

Ha, I just remembered Darius I of the Achaemenid Empire wanted to do the same thing but couldn't because the Phoenicians (who were the ones building,maintaining and manning his Mediterranean navy) refused to fight against them.
This was Cambyses (of lost army fame), and I'm skeptical of it's accuracy. Our only source for it is Herodotus and almost everything else about Cambyses's reign is disputed. It's unlikely IMO he ever considered invading Carthage, not least of which because it's not even likely Carthage had any sort of hegemony over other Phoenician cities in the western Mediterranean. That didn't seem to happen until the end of the 6th century and mostly in the 5th century. To a Person king especially, Carthage at this time was just another Phoenician city.

Alcsentre Calanice

Gone Fishin'
Alexander the Great

Competent

Those are two words that never go together.

Seriously? He made a lot of political mistakes and he certainly became a bit crazy in his later years but ... seriously? He won every battle he fought, he defeated enemies as different as the Thracians, Greeks, the various subjects of Persia and Indians, and you say he wasn't a competent commander?