House of Stuart Poll.

Which Stuart timeline to choose?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

VVD0D95

Banned
So, a long time ago I did a poll about which timeline people would like to see next from me regarding the House of Stuart. Given I'm much more knowledgeable about the family now, I thought I'd do another poll. The options are as follows:

1. Charles II and Catherine of Braganza have kids (I've got a lot of things considered for this one that would make it different to other timelines done on this topic)

2. Charles II marries someone other than Catherine of Braganza

3. Henry Stuart, Duke of Gloucester and Mary, Princess Royal survive. This one could have a lot of potential for fun and games.

4. James, Duke of York and Albany and Anne Hyde have surviving sons.

5. Henry Frederick, Prince of Wales lives.

Please do have a vote and let me know which one you'd prefer :)

Torn between 5 and 3 (though many Stuart-PoDs I (co-)did are a combo - the only one with a single PoD out of the list is Life and Times of Duchess of Cumberland, which used survival of James of Cambridge as a direct butterfly from a PoD).
"Mazarinettes" had 2+3 (Charles marries to Hortense Mancini; Gloucester and Mary of Orange Survive).
"Apollinis & Dianae" had 1+4 (Caterine Braganza is able to have kids; James of Cambridge survives).
Also did a variant of 3 (Duke of Gloucester lives long enough to marry and have a kid, but is the Stuart casuality of the Great Plague ITTL instead of his little York nephews).

VVD0D95

Banned
Torn between 5 and 3 (though many Stuart-PoDs I (co-)did are a combo - the only one with a single PoD out of the list is Life and Times of Duchess of Cumberland, which used survival of James of Cambridge as a direct butterfly from a PoD).
"Mazarinettes" had 2+3 (Charles marries to Hortense Mancini; Gloucester and Mary of Orange Survive).
"Apollinis & Dianae" had 1+4 (Caterine Braganza is able to have kids; James of Cambridge survives).
Also did a variant of 3 (Duke of Gloucester lives long enough to marry and have a kid, but is the Stuart casuality of the Great Plague ITTL instead of his little York nephews).

Oh? Intriguing. Hmm, Five hasn't been explored at all on the board I think. Three is also rarely explored, from what I recall.

Oh? Intriguing. Hmm, Five hasn't been explored at all on the board I think. Three is also rarely explored, from what I recall.
Did 3 in two variants, but either not solo or with a twist.

Five has been explored at least twice but none of these are what I call good TLs (though one of them was Turtledove-nominated).

An interesting combo would be... 1+2. Seemingly contradictory but hear me out. That is - Catarina of Braganza dies instead of her sister Joana, Princess of Beira, and Charles ends up married to Joana. So, while having technically different bride TTL, he is still married to Portuguese princess, so the dowry stays the same. The only problem - Joana would be 26 in 1661, and even Catarina was considered "too old" for fertile marriage, though money, money, money...

VVD0D95

Banned
Did 3 in two variants, but either not solo or with a twist.

Five has been explored at least twice but none of these are what I call good TLs (though one of them was Turtledove-nominated).

An interesting combo would be... 1+2. Seemingly contradictory but hear me out. That is - Catarina of Braganza dies instead of her sister Joana, Princess of Beira, and Charles ends up married to Joana. So, while having technically different bride TTL, he is still married to Portuguese princess, so the dowry stays the same. The only problem - Joana would be 26 in 1661, and even Catarina was considered "too old" for fertile marriage, though money, money, money...

Hmmm, 1 and 2 would be intriguing, and Joana does seem to have had a stronger temperament compared to her sister (from what I can find), so, she might be able to bear Charles' mistresses with better grace perhaps?

Hmmm, 1 and 2 would be intriguing, and Joana does seem to have had a stronger temperament compared to her sister (from what I can find), so, she might be able to bear Charles' mistresses with better grace perhaps?
Yes. Quite a few bedchamber scandals ensuing at the very least.

This combo is also good because it allows to focus on purely English changes, while 5 basically would lead to Europe unrecognizable compared to our own by 1640ies (Henry IX is unlikely to practice "splendid isolation" at the first stage of 30 Years War).

Ahh, you had a lot more planned than I was aware of! ;) 5 is most interesting IMO (No Cromwell is always best TL) but 1 could be cool too! 3+4 could also be included in 1

VVD0D95

Banned
Henry Frederick Option! Mainly because that's what i am doing too in one of my TLs ha.

Oooh very nice :)
Yes. Quite a few bedchamber scandals ensuing at the very least.

This combo is also good because it allows to focus on purely English changes, while 5 basically would lead to Europe unrecognizable compared to our own by 1640ies (Henry IX is unlikely to practice "splendid isolation" at the first stage of 30 Years War).

Most definitely agreed there. I do wonder if Joana might also be able to keep Charles loyal at least in the political sense rather than have him chasing after Castlemaine all the time.

5 is most interesting IMO (No Cromwell is always best TL)
But the most work re. butterflies.

I'd like to read a story where Charles marries surviving Joana Braganza, while at least one of the siblings who historically did not survive 1660 survived (I don't remember TLs with dead Henry but surviving Mary, while surviving Henry/dead Mary was written by me as TLIAW).

VVD0D95

Banned

I'd like to read a story where Charles marries surviving Joana Braganza, while at least one of the siblings who historically did not survive 1660 survived (I don't remember TLs with dead Henry but surviving Mary, while surviving Henry/dead Mary was written by me as TLIAW).

Would one where Charlie marries Joana, with a pod in 1653, necessitate any groundswell in changes, or could the simple pod be Joana surviving in 1653.

In such an instance where would Catherine marry?

Would one where Charlie marries Joana, with a pod in 1653, necessitate any groundswell in changes, or could the simple pod be Joana surviving in 1653.

In such an instance where would Catherine marry?
A simple PoD.
Though I presumed "switch the deaths in Braganza family so it's Joana surviving and Catalina dying", never thought about both princesses surviving.

VVD0D95

Banned
A simple PoD.
Though I presumed "switch the deaths in Braganza family so it's Joana surviving and Catalina dying", never thought about both princesses surviving.

Ahhh okay I get you, and hmm, tbf seeing how Catalina does with another spouse could be intriguing no? Though would her survival prevent Charles marrying Joana?

Ahhh okay I get you, and hmm, tbf seeing how Catalina does with another spouse could be intriguing no? Though would her survival prevent Charles marrying Joana?
Yes, a 23 years old would be considered more likely to bear a heir than a 26 years old, and there are no records indicating Joana was prettier than Catalina to sufficient degree to overlook age difference.

VVD0D95

Banned
Yes, a 23 years old would be considered more likely to bear a heir than a 26 years old, and there are no records indicating Joana was prettier than Catalina to sufficient degree to overlook age difference.

Hmm this is true, though there's also the fact that as @Kellan Sullivan I think mentioned once before, Joan's father at one point considered Savoy for her, and was also potentially considering a husband for her who could move to Portugal in the event she needed to serve as regent for Alfonso.

Pardon my ignorance, but what's the difference between Joana living/marrying Charles and Catherine having offspring?

Pardon my ignorance, but what's the difference between Joana living/marrying Charles and Catherine having offspring?
Different personality to begin with. Joana's personality was less meek than that of her sister.
Hmm this is true, though there's also the fact that as @Kellan Sullivan I think mentioned once before, Joan's father at one point considered Savoy for her, and was also potentially considering a husband for her who could move to Portugal in the event she needed to serve as regent for Alfonso.
May be a problem.