House of Osman as Orthodox Christians

VVD0D95

Banned
So, this was something I've been intrigued by for a while.

What consequences could there be if the Ottomans had converted to Christianity, specifically Eastern Orthodox Christianity?

Would they garner as much support from their fellow Turks as they did otl?

Would they manage to take Constantinople?

If they did, I'm not sure we'd see quite as many people fleeing from the city as did otl, and I imagine they'd be seen as a continuation of the Byzantines given their shared religion.

If they do manage to take Constantinople they would probably become thoroughly Hellenised in a generation or two. Perhaps, following their example, the rulers of several other Anatolian beyliks also convert.

It is unlikely that the Ottomans would rise to power as a Christian family. They were the key custodians of Islamic theology under the Sufi orders under the suzerainty of the Mongol Ilkhanids. Without the Islamic custodian thing going for Ertugul and Osman I, then it is highly likely that either the Ilkhanid or the Germiyan or Sarukhanids would take over deposing the dynasty from Sogut. Osman I knew this which is why he remained friendly with Christians but remained a devout Muslim.

So really, this is a very very very very unlikely scenario.

VVD0D95

Banned
If they do manage to take Constantinople they would probably become thoroughly Hellenised in a generation or two. Perhaps, following their example, the rulers of several other Anatolian beyliks also convert.
Interesting, what sort of consequences could this have for the cultural exchange between them and the rest of Europe? Would the Renaissance/Enlightenment be delayed without the importation of greek scholars and philosophers who I believe otl fled from Constantinople post 1453?

VVD0D95

Banned
It is unlikely that the Ottomans would rise to power as a Christian family. They were the key custodians of Islamic theology under the Sufi orders under the suzerainty of the Mongol Ilkhanids. Without the Islamic custodian thing going for Ertugul and Osman I, then it is highly likely that either the Ilkhanid or the Germiyan or Sarukhanids would take over deposing the dynasty from Sogut. Osman I knew this which is why he remained friendly with Christians but remained a devout Muslim.

So really, this is a very very very very unlikely scenario.
I see, so, if they were Christian they would simply be another miniscule dynasty on the frnges of things.

I see, so, if they were Christian they would simply be another miniscule dynasty on the frnges of things.
they could remain a christian noble family under one of the Turkish Beyliks, likely, but them rising to power as Osman I did? That is very unlikely.