House of Bruce, a continued dynasty

VVD0D95

Banned
So, Robert Junior marries Elizabeth de Clare in 1314, following the negotiations after Bannockburn, she comes with a dowry and perhaps the allowance from her brother's estates split between her and her sisters. In 1315, she gives birth to a son, also named Robert, followed by two more surviving children and a stillbirth when her father in law Robert I dies in 1329.

Her husband ascends the throne as Robert II, with the following children:

Robert, Earl of Carrick (b.1315)

Isabella (b.1317)

Gilbert (b.1324)

With his brother David, having sired heirs as well, the House of Bruce looks fairly secure.

However, Edward Balliol remains in England, and is a potentially trouble maker for Edward III.

What might occur from here, or what would be interesting to see occur?

Hmm interesting, that seems really weird for Edward I and I do wonder who he intended to marry his son to then.
List of Edward II's betrothals:
Betrothed (Papal dispensation 16 Nov 1289, Birgham Jul 1290) to MARGARET Queen of Scotland "the Maid of Norway", daughter of ERIK II King of Norway & his wife Margaret of Scotland (Tönsberg before 9 Apr 1283-on board ship off Orkney [26 Sep] 1290, bur Bergen, Christ's Church). The dispensation for the marriage of “Edwardo nato...Edvardi regis Angliæ” and “Margareta nata...Erici Norwegiæ regis, neptis...regis Scotiæ”, dated 16 Nov 1289, records the 3o consanguinity between the parties[828]. The Chronicle of John of Fordun (Continuator - Annals) records the betrothal between "Edward I king of England…Edward his son and heir" and "Margaret the daughter of the king of Norway…the true heiress of Scotland" in 1290[829]. This betrothal was agreed under the Treaty of Birgham in Jul 1290 which confirmed that Scotland would retain its independence after the marriage took place[830]. The Continuator of Florence of Worcester confirms the betrothal of "Margareta filia Irici regis Norwegiæ…" and "Eadwardo regis Eadwardi filio" when recording her death[831].

Betrothed (31 Jul 1291) to BLANCHE de France, daughter of PHILIPPE III "le Hardi" King of France & his second wife Marie de Brabant ([1278/85]-Vienna 14 Mar 1306, bur Vienna, Minoritenkirche).

Betrothed (contract 7 Jan 1297) to PHILIPPINE de Flandre, daughter of GUY Count of Flanders & his second wife Isabelle de Luxembourg Ctss of Namur (-Paris 1304). The Annals of Worcester record the betrothal of “Edwardum filium regis” and “filiam comitis Flandriæ” as part of the treaty agreed between England and Flanders “die Purificationis beatæ Mariæ” (2 Feb) in 1296[832]. The Chronique Normande names "Philippe" as the daughter of "conte en Flandres…Guy de Dampierre" by his second wife "fille au conte de Luxembourg", adding that she was betrothed to "le roy d´Angleterre…Edouart son filz"[833]. The marriage contract between “Edward...Edward nostre...fiuz” and “Guy conte de Flandres et marchis de Namur...Phelippe fille au dit conte” is dated 7 Jan 1296 (O.S.)[834]. Philippe IV King of France obliged her father to abandon the betrothal after summoning him to Paris and imprisoning him for four months with two of his sons. Philippine was sent to Paris for her education[835].

m (contract 12 May 1299, betrothed 20 May 1303, Boulogne-sur-Mer 22 Jan 1308) ISABELLE de France, daughter of PHILIPPE IV "le Bel" King of France & his wife doña Juana I Queen of Navarre (Paris [1291/92]-Castle Rising, Norfolk or Hertford Castle 21 Nov 1358, bur Greyfriars Church, Newgate, London)

And IIRC @Jonathan, Edward I and Philippe le Bel played around with betrothals for Marguerite and Blanche de France for Edward II. Since the Blanche mentioned above was first betrothed to Jean de Flandres, then Edward II, and then married to a Habsburg duke (I think Edward sent an embassy to request Blanche's hand, but by then she was already en route to Vienna), but while Philippe le Bel's daughters, (also confusingly, Marguerite and Blanche) were betrothed to Fernando IV of Castile almost in succession to one another, the only betrothal mentioned for Isabelle is that to Edward II.

VVD0D95

Banned
List of Edward II's betrothals:

And IIRC @Jonathan, Edward I and Philippe le Bel played around with betrothals for Marguerite and Blanche de France for Edward II. Since the Blanche mentioned above was first betrothed to Jean de Flandres, then Edward II, and then married to a Habsburg duke (I think Edward sent an embassy to request Blanche's hand, but by then she was already en route to Vienna), but while Philippe le Bel's daughters, (also confusingly, Marguerite and Blanche) were betrothed to Fernando IV of Castile almost in succession to one another, the only betrothal mentioned for Isabelle is that to Edward II.

Oh that's quite interesting, and sure to render some interesting dynamics politically.

What do you think about Robert Junior marrying Elizabeth de Clare?

Oh that's quite interesting, and sure to render some interesting dynamics politically.

What do you think about Robert Junior marrying Elizabeth de Clare?

I don't see why not. Since Edward doesn't have any ROYAL English granddaughters of age (although getting Edward II wed to Blanche/Marguerite de France instead of Isabelle might be good all round) a half-royal de Clare might not be a bad runner up.

However I will warn of possible consanguinity issues that might arise. Isabel de Clare (Elizabeth de Clare's grandpa's sister) married Robert VI de Bruce (grandpa to King Bob). Ergo, she'd be second cousin to her father-in-law. I'm not sure how marriage to such close relatives was taken back then.

VVD0D95

Banned
I don't see why not. Since Edward doesn't have any ROYAL English granddaughters of age (although getting Edward II wed to Blanche/Marguerite de France instead of Isabelle might be good all round) a half-royal de Clare might not be a bad runner up.

However I will warn of possible consanguinity issues that might arise. Isabel de Clare (Elizabeth de Clare's grandpa's sister) married Robert VI de Bruce (grandpa to King Bob). Ergo, she'd be second cousin to her father-in-law. I'm not sure how marriage to such close relatives was taken back then.
Hmm this true especially as they were at odds with Rome at the
Time

Hmm this true especially as they were at odds with Rome at the
Time

I can't see a second cousin being a problem to be honest, especially if it's once removed. They may be at odds with Rome, but isn't this the time of the great Schism? Maybe the Avignon pope will give them a dispensation, if only to annoy Rome?

Maybe the Avignon pope will give them a dispensation, if only to annoy Rome?

Avignon didn't do things solely to annoy Rome. Avignon would've issued a dispensation out of belief that they truly WERE the head of the one universal church. Just as Rome did.

That said, take a look at Jacqueline of Bavaria, Countess of Holland, Hainaut and Seeland's third marriage to the duke of Gloucester to see what happens when Rome and Avignon don't agree on whether a marriage is formally over or not (I imagine that dispensations on grounds of consanguinity would fall into the same bracket). Louis, duc d'Orléans' original betrothal to Katalin of Hungary, ran into problems because France and Hungary acknowledged different popes.
It'd be pretty messy if Avignon grants the dispensation and Rome is persuaded by the powers that be to not agree with it.

VVD0D95

Banned
I can't see a second cousin being a problem to be honest, especially if it's once removed. They may be at odds with Rome, but isn't this the time of the great Schism? Maybe the Avignon pope will give them a dispensation, if only to annoy Rome?
Hmm true true
Avignon didn't do things solely to annoy Rome. Avignon would've issued a dispensation out of belief that they truly WERE the head of the one universal church. Just as Rome did.

That said, take a look at Jacqueline of Bavaria, Countess of Holland, Hainaut and Seeland's third marriage to the duke of Gloucester to see what happens when Rome and Avignon don't agree on whether a marriage is formally over or not (I imagine that dispensations on grounds of consanguinity would fall into the same bracket). Louis, duc d'Orléans' original betrothal to Katalin of Hungary, ran into problems because France and Hungary acknowledged different popes.
It'd be pretty messy if Avignon grants the dispensation and Rome is persuaded by the powers that be to not agree with it.
also true I suppose they’d wait for confirmation from the pope in return for Robert I giving the church more benefits than otl

All right, I take your point. But is it viable to have Avignon grant the dispensation and Rome ignore it. What happens then?

Hmm the schism happened from 1309 so if the betrothal happens in 1304, could they then get it through before then?

@isabella and @mcdnab can correct me if I'm wrong, but the betrothal meant that both parties agreed to seek a dispensation from the papacy (or that the dispensation was already obtained, or would be no problem to obtain). Not to mention that Bob Jnr and Ms de Clare are both still in the single digits in 1304, so while a betrothal can be agreed (perhaps a dispensation even issued), neither is of age to consent to the marriage yet. And should push come to shove, whichever party could presumably always appeal to a friendly pope to have the marriage annulled on the grounds that neither party is of lawful age to consent to such an arrangement yet.

VVD0D95

Banned
@isabella and @mcdnab can correct me if I'm wrong, but the betrothal meant that both parties agreed to seek a dispensation from the papacy (or that the dispensation was already obtained, or would be no problem to obtain). Not to mention that Bob Jnr and Ms de Clare are both still in the single digits in 1304, so while a betrothal can be agreed (perhaps a dispensation even issued), neither is of age to consent to the marriage yet. And should push come to shove, whichever party could presumably always appeal to a friendly pope to have the marriage annulled on the grounds that neither party is of lawful age to consent to such an arrangement yet.

True enough, though I suppose that following Bannockburn should the marriage agreement still be standing, both sides might agree to it as part of the peace?

True enough, though I suppose that following Bannockburn should the marriage agreement still be standing, both sides might agree to it as part of the peace?

Sounds reasonable. Of course, this would be an alt-Bannockburn which could have a different outcome. If the English are defeated I doubt very much Bob Snr is gonna necessarily want an English bride - Hell, he might see it as a sort of vindication and start looking to the continent/France for a bride. If the Scots lose, however, then the English can force Bob Jnr and Ms de Clare's marriage (and just BTW, the de Clares descended from an illegitimate half-brother (or somesuch) of William the Conqueror, so they were about as close to princes du sang of the early Plantagenets/house of Normandy, until King John's two boys, that one could get).