First that I hear of Hatshepsut being obese?
In 2007 a mummy was found in the Valley of the Kings that is quite likely to be her, and the mummy was a rather obese woman. It's also possible that the mummy isn't Hatshepsut, apparently no research has been done since 2007, but DNA did indicate she was related to Ahmose-Nefertari, more or less the matriarch of the Eighteenth Dynasty. On the other hand the research was done by Zahi Hawass.

I liked the latest update a lot <3
So did I, Alexander and the Macedonians are quite interesting and all, but Egypt is kind of the 'protagonist' of the story, so I was glad to return to it.

So did I, Alexander and the Macedonians are quite interesting and all, but Egypt is kind of the 'protagonist' of the story, so I was glad to return to it.

Alexander as a ruler, rather than a conqueror (even though Philip's conquest of Persia went as well as it did because of Alexander, too) is a huge POD that will have a lot of consequences, as far as East Asia even - if modern Mahayana Buddhism is, indeed, descended from the Hellenized Buddhism of the eastern diadochies - but an Egypt ruled by a native dynasty rather than by a Hellenized foreign one, even if the butterflies have barely reached Rome for now, they surely will by the time the Romans will have to deal with the rest of the Mediterranean.

Given Rome's military focus, a stronger and less divided neighbourhood might doom them, even if they were to defeat Carthage they'd be far weaker in the long run, especially since they wouldn't be able to rely on their OTL eastern domains.

There's no guarantee that if Carthage is defeated, it would be outright destroyed like IOTL. For all we know, Carthage could be defeated by Rome and it faces a mercenary revolt similarly enough to OTL that they decide to plead for Rome for annexation and protection. Rome becomes the protector of Punic culture as opposed to its reaper.

Alexander as a ruler, rather than a conqueror (even though Philip's conquest of Persia went as well as it did because of Alexander, too) is a huge POD that will have a lot of consequences, as far as East Asia even - if modern Mahayana Buddhism is, indeed, descended from the Hellenized Buddhism of the eastern diadochies - but an Egypt ruled by a native dynasty rather than by a Hellenized foreign one, even if the butterflies have barely reached Rome for now, they surely will by the time the Romans will have to deal with the rest of the Mediterranean.

Given Rome's military focus, a stronger and less divided neighbourhood might doom them, even if they were to defeat Carthage they'd be far weaker in the long run, especially since they wouldn't be able to rely on their OTL eastern domains.
There's no guarantee that if Carthage is defeated, it would be outright destroyed like IOTL. For all we know, Carthage could be defeated by Rome and it faces a mercenary revolt similarly enough to OTL that they decide to plead for Rome for annexation and protection. Rome becomes the protector of Punic culture as opposed to its reaper.
There have already been some changes to Italy, Alexander of Epirus survived his campaign and left behind a garrison in Tarentum. With Epirus now practically a Macedonian puppet, who knows what might happen the next time there is an emergency in southern Italy. Carthage and Rome certainly won't end up like they did OTL.

Very awesome update, nice to see Nakhtahoref walking in his father’s footsteps. I got a small thing that’s been bugging me however.

I noticed you preferred the use of Greek name for sites like Taras, and while that’s fine the term ‘Safinites’ bugs me as it seems like a logical anglicisation but can’t make it’s mind up between Greek, Latin or Oscan.

A better Koine transliteration for Σαφεινήτῆς would be ‘Sapheinite’ (plural Sapheinites) if you want to go with a Greek root. But this is just a peeve of mine and diesn’t affect the quality of what is a great update.

Very awesome update, nice to see Nakhtahoref walking in his father’s footsteps. I got a small thing that’s been bugging me however.

I noticed you preferred the use of Greek name for sites like Taras, and while that’s fine the term ‘Safinites’ bugs me as it seems like a logical anglicisation but can’t make it’s mind up between Greek, Latin or Oscan.

A better Koine transliteration for Σαφεινήτῆς would be ‘Sapheinite’ (plural Sapheinites) if you want to go with a Greek root. But this is just a peeve of mine and diesn’t affect the quality of what is a great update.

Yeah I try to evade using names derived from Latin, but I couldn't really make up my mind about the Samnites. Wikipedia states that the Greeks called them Saunitai, so perhaps I'll just change it to that.

Nakhtnebef II has had a promising start as king, but is quite different from his father, for one he's much less cautious, which might lead to trouble later on.

An incautious ruler neighbouring Alexander is in for fun times, most likely.

And speaking of tribal names - the Triballi really take the cake in terms of creative nomenclature, right? ISOT'ed cosplayers, perhaps?

And speaking of tribal names - the Triballi really take the cake in terms of creative nomenclature, right? ISOT'ed cosplayers, perhaps?

Historical reenactors could have one hell of an edge in an ISOT scenario, especially if they're on the more serious end of the spectrum - maybe they would not be able to give AK-47s to Alexander, but they could work with the resources available at the time quite easily.

He isn't so incautious that he would go around provoking the Macedonians, but Egypt also has other neighbours, and off course its own array of vassals to keep in line.

Yeah the Triballi sound like a rather lazily named tribe for a low budget movie.
Historical reenactors could have one hell of an edge in an ISOT scenario, especially if they're on the more serious end of the spectrum - maybe they would not be able to give AK-47s to Alexander, but they could work with the resources available at the time quite easily.
I know practically nothing about historical reenacting, but wouldn't actually living and fighting in the period be much harder? (and traumatic, considering the carnage of an ancient battlefield). They would have an edge in knowledge off course.

Map 328 BC
50452878262_0debb9767d_b.jpg

A map of the current situation of the TL, around 328 BC. It's slightly better than the last attempt, at least in my opinion! Next actual update should be out sometime next week.

I just caught up with the TL and I really like it. I really appreciated the OTL catch up in the first main post, and I just love the Macedonian segments, the hellenic-persian mixed culture that will emerge from this will be fascinating to behold.

It's really rare to get good-quality pre-Roman TL's on this site, and this is an excellent addition to their ranks!

Hey, just found this TL, it's really great. I wonder what will happen to India, considering that Chandragupta won't be able to exploit the same power vaccum IOTL and might get defeated by the Nanda.

I just caught up with the TL and I really like it. I really appreciated the OTL catch up in the first main post, and I just love the Macedonian segments, the hellenic-persian mixed culture that will emerge from this will be fascinating to behold.

It's really rare to get good-quality pre-Roman TL's on this site, and this is an excellent addition to their ranks!

Thanks for the praise! OTL catchup was done because Egyptian history of the era is not that well known, and for a civilization as ancient as Egypt its important to know the impact of the preceding centuries. Sometimes however I worry that I might be overdoing it with the references to earlier Egyptian history.

Hey, just found this TL, it's really great. I wonder what will happen to India, considering that Chandragupta won't be able to exploit the same power vaccum IOTL and might get defeated by the Nanda.

I'll be honest that my knowledge about ancient India is far from good. I'm not quite sure about what I want to happen there, but I was thinking about averting the Maurya alltogether.

Thanks for the praise! OTL catchup was done because Egyptian history of the era is not that well known, and for a civilization as ancient as Egypt its important to know the impact of the preceding centuries. Sometimes however I worry that I might be overdoing it with the references to earlier Egyptian history.

I'll be honest that my knowledge about ancient India is far from good. I'm not quite sure about what I want to happen there, but I was thinking about averting the Maurya alltogether.

If you need any help regarding classical India, DM with your questions and I can give you some help and some sources.

Will the Wars of the Diadochi still happen? Or do you intend to butterfly it away?
No way they will happen in this scenario.
Not like they happened OTL, no. By the time he dies Alexander will have a secure succession.
Exactly as I guessed. I am wondering what happened to Cynane and Amyntas’ children? In OTL they had only a daughter but here they were married much longer than OTL

Last edited: