A Celtic migration would be utterly devastating to the weakened Rasna if they spilled out from the Po Valley, although we'll see if that's going to end up being the death knell of the confederacy or if they emerge as a stronger political entity in the process.

Maybe an centralized Insubres state that dominates the north from Mediolanon emerges from the Celtic migration, but that's just wishful thinking.

Very interesting point, as I also have never heard of them before. Roman migrants have been making their way to other towns in Latium, so they have a pretty high chance of filling in the vacuum that Rome left behind. The Latins don't have a lot of time to recover because the Saunitai could easily take over if the Latin League isn't ready to defend itself.

While we could see the Saunitai invade the North like Umbria or Latium, it's probably inevitable that they will go for Magna Graecia at some point, which is why I think Epirote support is absolutely necessary for them if they want to have an adequate defense against the Saunitai or the Carthaginians.
Agreed.

If there was any incentive to centralize, a migration would be it, but giving up power, even in the face of a common threat still has its share of difficulties.

I wonder if Tibur was sacked along with Rome or if they peaced out as well. I assume the former or that they were greatly weakened compared to Praeneste. But yeah, their only saving grace is the Samnite squabbling down south. And it would have to be protracted fight.

Like you said, the Samnites vs Epirus will be interesting. I wonder how the Lucani and BrutII will do under Samnite leadership.

Interesting ideas for Italy, even more so because I'm not entirely sure how I want it to end up myself outside of some broad strokes.
I wonder if Tibur was sacked along with Rome or if they peaced out as well. I assume the former or that they were greatly weakened compared to Praeneste. But yeah, their only saving grace is the Samnite squabbling down south. And it would have to be protracted fight.
Tibur wasn't sacked, so it is one of the more important towns of the Latin League. Praeneste will probably profit from some influx of Roman refugees, but while it will end up more prominent than OTL it won't be as important as Capua for example.

Next update will feature a more in depth look at Egypt, the upcoming struggle for the Argead regency and Suracaksas' campaigns after the battle of Taxila. I hope to have it up this weekend but I can't really promise anything.

In regards to Italy, I'm personally hoping the Rasna survive as a culture, be they independent or under some empire. Possibly just personal bias, but I do think that more language isolates and rare language families surviving is a far more interesting and meaningful kind of diversity than anything hollywood is pushing.

Turns out I had no time at all to write last weekend, sorry for that. Luckily I have some (mandatory) days off coming up this week so an update later this week is likely.

35. Egypt under Argead rule
35. Egypt under Argead rule

The King of Upper and Lower Egypt, the son of Ra, Philip, ever-living, whom the gods love more than any other, it was he who caused this monument to his father Amun to be constructed, it was he who ordered the quarrying of stone and it was he who ordered the artisans to decorate it. His Majesty made libations of wine and excellent offerings of incense and myrrh, of both long- and short-horned cattle. It was then that His Majesty said thus:

Hail to you, Amun!
Maker of Mankind,
God who created all beings!
Beneficent king,
First one of the Two Lands,
Who planned the eternity he made,
Great in power,
Mighty in awe,
Whose forms are exalted above other gods,
Mighty of strength,
Who smites the rebels,
Whose horn attacks the evildoers,
I bow down to your name!
[1]

- Inscription at Philip IV’s shrine at Ipetsut

When Philip IV crossed the Sinai late in 270 he received a royal welcome at the fortress of Pelusium by the satrap Lagos. It must have been an extravagant affair, as most ceremonies involving the Great King were. We do not know Philip’s reaction, but since there were no taxes heightened or villages massacred Lagos must have made a good impression on him. By the time of his visit Egypt had been part of the Argead Empire for over 20 years, but it was still very much seen as a distinct land. This was confirmed by Philip’s coronation at the Ipet-Mehu early in 269, which showed that the offices of the Great King of Asia and that of Pharaoh of Egypt were seen as separate ones: in royal inscriptions the titles are also mentioned separately.

While the Great King was the pharaoh he was also at best an absentee landlord; both Philip III and IV both only visited the country once, and Philip III’s visit coincided with his conquest. It was thus impossible for them to perform the myriad duties that were expected from a King of Upper and Lower Egypt: presiding over ceremonies and festivals, attending to the well-being of Egypt and performing his duties to the gods: all those were impossible for the Great King to do while in Babylon or Pella. It thus fell upon the satrap to play the part of pharaoh, up to a certain degree. Ptolemaios, the country’s first satrap, was a capable man who performed his duties admirably: he oversaw the initial administration of the country in the wake of the Argead conquest and he made sure that Egypt’s important institutes were pliant: the Cults of Amun at Waset and of Ptah at Memphis were co-opted and various high-ranking magistrates of the Thirtieth Dynasty remained in place. He had been somewhat of a mentor to Philip III during his early reign, and it seems that the Great King was quite fond of his father’s old companion for he even named his youngest son after him.

Aside from managing a smoot transition of power and co-opting the local elites Ptolemaios’ most important legacy was the construction of the city of Alexandria. Envisioned as a new and Hellenic capital of Egypt after its founding in 295 it grew rapidly, boasting a population of around 80000 in 275 BCE [2]. Located on a narrow strip of land between Lake Mareotis and the Mediterranean it boasted Egypt’s best natural harbour. The island of Pharos, just offshore, was connected to the mainland by a causeway, known as the Heptastadion after its length, creating two large harbour basins. Ideally located for trade between Egypt and the Mediterranean Alexandria quickly became a hub of commerce, particularly the grain trade. It was an exclusively Greek city, including those civil institutions familiar to the poleis of Hellas, it had both a council and an assembly of citizens, it had a gymnasion and a theatre, just like the new foundations in Syria and Mesopotamia. Despite its favourable position beyond its commerce the city did not really flourish during the Argead era, in some ways it was nothing more than a glorified transit station for Egyptian grain, the cultural and architectural achievements for which the city would gain renown would follow under later rulers. The government of Egypt, and the satrap Ptolemaios, remained in Memphis, which was after all the traditional centre of government. Ptolemaios’ period as satrap went without any major incidents, and it seems the old satrap spent his days writing his memoirs and his account of the campaigns of Alexander. He died in 282, after which the government of Egypt fell to Lagos, Ptolemaios’ son, despite Philip III’s aversion of satrapal dynasties.

At first Lagos seemed to be as capable as his father was, and the country remained relatively docile during his first years in power. However during the 270’s this changed: as so often it was a combination of circumstances that led to the unrest that permeated the country during the decade. Partially it was because of mismanagement on behalf of Lagos himself: he left the management of the country to some rather incapable underlings while he himself spend most of his times in the arms of Athenaïs, a famous courtesan and mistress of Lagos. It wouldn’t have been much of problem were it not that there were some mediocre inundations: during the early 270’s the waters of the Nile never rose more than 6 meters: an average harvest was expected with a rise of 7 meters. Earlier governments of Egypt, both native and foreign, taxed the country’s estates on basis of the height of the inundation but the Argeads had changed that: now every estate had to deliver a set amount of grain, which meant that with a low flood many farmers lost a large part of their harvest. Egyptian grain fed the Argead army while it was in Italy and on Sicily (which while renowned for its fertility it was too devastated by war to supply the armies fighting over it), it helped prevent famine in the cities of Italy and increasingly it was exported to the cities of Greece, subsidized by the Great King in order to keep the cities of the Hellenic League on his side. While Egypt’s extraordinary fertility meant that there was enough to export and to keep the population fed the mediocre Nile floods did lead to rising food prices. This combined with a pervasive dislike of the occupiers, no matter how capable they were at administering the country or at bribing its elites, meant that unrest was rife in Egypt.

Bandits roamed the countryside, royal estates were targeted and shipments of gold from the eastern desert were intercepted. Lagos’ response was predictable: garrisons and patrols were increased and brutal punishments administered in public. He could not allow unrest to threaten the economic dominance the Argeads had established over Egypt: it was the country’s mineral wealth and fertility which made it one of the empire’s most important satrapies. The Argeads however did little to stimulate either industry or commerce aside from the grain export, Egypt was to be exploited and little actual development took place. Even the renovation of the Pharaoh’s Canal was, in the end, not completed. The reason for this seems to be the Argeads’ focus on Syria and Mesopotamia, on Media and Persia, it was because of their Achaemenid heritage that they regarded those lands as their core, not entirely without merit. This also shows in the amount of Macedonians and Greeks who migrated, most settled in the cities of Syria or Mesopotamia, with Egypt receiving comparatively few migrants aside from Alexandria and Naukratis. This might have been different had Egypt been part of the initial Argead conquest, but by the time Philip III conquered the land of the Nile the migrants from the Aegean had mostly been diverted to the new cities of the east.

During the 270’s there were some sporadic uprisings in Egypt, but none that actually threatened Argead rule. Those uprisings were met with overwhelming military force: further enforcing the view that the Argeads were cruel oppressors. Lagos’ military duties were not confined to Egypt itself: in 275 he commanded an expedition that evicted an ambitious Libyan chief who had occupied the Siwa oasis. More serious were skirmishes with the Kushites in Lower Nubia. Ever expansionist the Argeads were interested in vassalizing or conquering Nubia, but crises elsewhere meant that it received no royal attention. The long-ruling Aryamani, put on the Kushite throne by Nakhtnebef II in 325, passed away in 278 and was succeeded by his cousin Arakamani, who seems to have continued his predecessors policy of peace with the northerners. During the late 270’s however Lagos send several raids into Lower Nubia, officially to catch bandits but the real reason was to probe the region’s defences. Arakamani repelled them with relative ease, but knew better than to retaliate. His kingdom still had not recovered entirely from the occupation it had endured and thus could not risk another war. He did however welcome many Egyptians to his kingdom, those who fled Argead oppression or who simply saw a chance for a better life in Nubia. Some of them were soldiers, the native Egyptian military was distrusted by the Macedonians so if they were deployed it was far away from home, often at the Danube or Oxus. Arakamani settled many of them in villages in Lower Nubia, to guard against raids and to protect the gold mines of the region against bandits. One of those was a certain Ptahmose, originally from Memphis, who quickly rose in rank due to his military skill and vigour. From the fortress at Baki, strategically located on the Nile near many of the gold mines, he ended up governing the region for the Kushite king.

Of course there were also those who remained in Egypt, including the man who is in hindsight the most famous Egyptian of this era. Itamun [3] had started his live as a scribe and rose through the ranks of bureaucracy, he so impressed his superiors that for some time he even served at the Palace of Nebuchadnezzar in Babylon itself, but he missed his homeland and returned after spending only a year and a half in the east. He thus spend the 270’s as a member of the satrapal bureaucracy at Memphis, serving under a Greek superior, whose language he had learned in the meantime. It is unknown when he started writing his ‘Instructions’, but it can’t have been much later than during those years. It was quite unusual for a scribe, no matter how high ranking, to start writing about how he thought the world should be, but then again Itamun did not appear to be a usual scribe. Pensive and, most of all, deeply concerned about his country nevertheless his writings do not veer into the apocalyptic. Where other writings of the era focus on either the absence or the wrath of the gods and the demise of Egypt itself Itamun never goes that far. He knew the history of his country: the fragmentation of the First Intermediate Period was followed by the hights of the Middle Kingdom, the depredations of the Hyksos were succeeded by the glories of the New Kingdom and the humiliations inflicted by the Assyrians and Nubians were the prelude to the Saïte renaissance. No wonder then that he expected the country to expel the invaders and restore sovereignty, but what did concern him was by what way Egypt would be governed.

Itamun in his writings sees internecine conflict as the ultimate detriment to Egyptian greatness. The squabbles of the various Delta nobles, of the priests of Amun and of power-hungry generals, all those squandered resources that should have been used to strengthen the state. In his view ever since the fall of the New Kingdom this had plagued Egypt and had caused its decline on the international stage in respect to other powers. The pharaoh, who in theory was an absolute monarch, had been relegated to the status of a petty king who had to vie with various factions to remain in power, which was an affront to the gods. Itamun’s solution to this was relatively simple: the pharaoh, whoever it may be, had to be sole ruler again, a true Son of Ra. In this he would be supported by a vastly expanded bureaucracy, which according to Itamun had to be based on meritocratic principles. More scribal schools needed to be set up, ministries established and the power of the nobility needed to be broken. No longer would the sepat be ruled over by some local chief but by a governor appointed straight from Memphis. In Itamun’s view it was up to the humble scribe to save his country.

He would not see his ideas implemented, nor would they be for quite some time, but they did have influence. It is unlikely though that many paid attention to one of the senior bureaucrats at Memphis during the later months of 268 BCE. Thankfully for Lagos it seemed that most of the uprisings had subsided, beaten into submission by his mercenaries and levies. Bad news had reached Memphis in quick succession that year: Philip IV had died in India, Alexander IV had succeeded him but a struggle for the regency broke out between Karanos and Antigonos, first only with words but in September that year Antigonos crossed the Euphrates. Not long afterwards an envoy from Karanos reached Memphis, asking the satrap of Egypt to gather his forces and march off to Syria, threatening Antigonos from another front. Lagos agreed quickly, despite being a mediocre and uninspiring general at best, he distrusted Antigonos and probably viewed Karanos as the rightful regent. Gathering mercenaries, levies and settled veterans Lagos marched into Syria in November 268, escalating the conflict even further.

Footnotes

1. Based on an inscription on a statue of Montuemhat, mayor of Thebes, as found on page 30 of Miriam Lichtheim’s Ancient Egyptian Literature Volume III: the Late Period.
  2. Certainly a sizeable city, but not as large as its OTL equivalent.
  3. See Interlude 1

Last edited:
I've decided to split the update since the parts are quite distinct. Not sure when the next parts will be, I've had my COVID vaccination today, so I'm not sure if I'm well enough this weekend to write.

I'm guessing Itamun will have a significant impact on Egyptian identity once Argead control starts to fall apart and the Egyptians overthrow them in favor a new Pharaoh. It'll be telling as to when that's going to happen, but I will be in full support of the Egyptians once they do. Horus will soon stand triumphant once more.

I strongly suspect Itamun is right, and the Egyptians will throw off Argeads and come to see them as they do the Hyksos...

I'm guessing Itamun will have a significant impact on Egyptian identity once Argead control starts to fall apart and the Egyptians overthrow them in favor a new Pharaoh. It'll be telling as to when that's going to happen, but I will be in full support of the Egyptians once they do. Horus will soon stand triumphant once more.
Itamun personally won't have much of an impact, he's not that young anymore and he won't live long enough to see Egypt independent again. But he will have some followers and he has written down his teachings, and over time his ideas will gain influence and thus in hindsight the man becomes vastly more influential than he actually was during his life.

I strongly suspect Itamun is right, and the Egyptians will throw off Argeads and come to see them as they do the Hyksos...
Egypt will regain its independence in the not too distant future, but for them the more obvious paralel to the Argeads would be the Achaemenids. Its true though that like with the Hyksos their impression and memory of Argead rule will be far from positive.

Itamun's philosophy reminds me of Romance of the Three Kingdoms. "Long United, the Empire must divide, long divided the Empire must unite.
I'm not sure if Itamun's teachings count as a philosophy, he mainly deals with how Egypt should be and how the country should be run. Outside of of some generic 'obey the scribes, the government and the gods' he doesn't really go into how people should live their lives.

I hope that in the update it was clear that in comparison to OTL Argead Egypt is not really a success, it lacks royal favour and after Ptolemaios' death it also misses a capable ruler. It is treated as little more than a source of grain and mineral wealth. I honestly wasn't sure about it myself, but with the Argead focus on their Near Eastern possesions and distracted by wars in Italy and India I hope it sort of makes sense that Egypt gets the short end of the stick.

It makes sense that there's less hellenisation in Egypt. The first waves of Greek and Macedonian settlers in Argead territories probably drastically reduced crowding in Hellenic regions and got all the families with wanderlust or a desire to make it big in some new territories. While there have been a couple of generations by now, the hellenic population had likely not quite reached the pre-migration numbers and the novelty and interest in settling new areas had likely died down.

With the war over the regency now pulling in the Egyptian viceroy, it does seem likely that the independence movement will gain momentum and try a big push. The Argeads are still strong enough that if Lagos turns back he will likely have a relatively easy victory, but if he does not and the civil war is bloody enough, a settlement might be reached.

Next update will probably be tomorrow, it will deal with the succession conflict in the Argead Empire. The update after that will be about India. Without spoiling anything the next couple updates are also planned out, but is there anything in particular that people would like me to focus upon?

Next update will probably be tomorrow, it will deal with the succession conflict in the Argead Empire. The update after that will be about India. Without spoiling anything the next couple updates are also planned out, but is there anything in particular that people would like me to focus upon?
Either Northern Italy (Rasna/Celts), Gaul (possible Carthaginian-Greek influence on Celtic tribes), or Carthage (Iberian colonization + Punic politics)

I think, if possible, a cultural update focused on how the cultural developments of the Argead Empire with it's Helleno-Persian culture starting to gestate would be pretty cool and interesting to look at.

36. Satraps and strife
36. Satraps and strife

The reason for the antagonism between Karanos and Antigonos can thus be surmised: both were ambitious, vain and power-hungry, both were fully confident in their own abilities and when the opportunity arose to claim the regency both could not resist it. Perhaps the reason for the conflict was that both men, nephew and uncle, were more alike than they would care to admit.

- Excerpt from Antikles of Massalia’s History of the Hellenes vol. 3: from Philippos Nikator to the Polemarcheia

Despite being disliked by many of his contemporaries it was undeniable that Karanos was the best choice for regent: already he had served as chiliarch and satrap of Babylon for almost a decade and had shown himself to be a capable ruler. He was begrudgingly respected for his able administration: particularly in Babylonia itself he had overseen many infrastructural projects, canals were dug and irrigation expanded, leading to the opening of additional farmland and increased harvests and prosperity. It was probably also Karanos who was responsible for a large-scale renovation of the temple of Esagila in Babylon, and if the Great King was absent from Babylon he took his place during the Akitu festival. This seems to have made him somewhat popular among the Babylonians, and in Mesopotamia it seems Karanos enjoyed a certain popularity due to his capable administration, in contrast to the rest of the empire where many saw him as a scheming bureaucrat.

Within the royal family he was also not without support, indeed things were quite to the contrary. Karanos was supported by practically all of them, aside from Antigonos and his close relatives. His most influential supporter was Queen Arsinoe, widow of Philip III and grandmother of the Great King Alexander IV. A formidable figure in her own right, she was bright and intelligent and known for her quick wit, she held sway over the court during her husband’s absences and personally oversaw the education of her sons. She supported Karanos because she wanted her grandson to rule one day; in Antigonos she saw a jealous nephew and a threat to her descendants’ kingship.

1621549871409.png

Antigonos Kallinikos

Nonetheless the shock must have been great when the news reached Babylon that Antigonos had rallied the forces in Syria and had himself acclaimed as rightful regent by them. Antigonos saw himself as a natural choice for regent: he was a relative of the Great King, a successful commander and a popular figure among the Macedonians. At first there were some attempts at negotiation by Karanos, but these were quickly rebuffed by Antigonos, who derided his uncle as an effete treasurer [1]. The cities of northern Mesopotamia quickly opened their gates to Antigonos’ forces, and for some time it must have appeared as if the regency would naturally belong to him, that the troops in Babylon would overthrow Karanos and acclaim Antigonos. It was thus that Antigonos made no attempts at marching on Babylon and instead consolidated his position in the north, basing himself in Nikopolis, awaiting the inevitable news from Babylon that Karanos was overthrown. When this did not happen he personally led a cavalry column south, not expecting any resistance he thought he could ride straight to Babylon. Near the ancient town of Sippar his advance was impeded by the local militia, who attempted to resist him. They were cut to pieces by Antigonos’ professional force, but it did cause Antigonos to reconsider his course of action. Perhaps he was not as welcome in Babylon as he thought he was, he thus returned north to Nikopolis to gather his army to force the issue.

In Babylon itself Karanos, despite the shock of Antigonos’ initiation of hostilities, asserted himself quickly. While not popular among the soldiers he did oversee the treasury and thus was able to secure their loyalty by granting generous payments and bonuses. Mercenaries were also recruited and the Babylonians themselves levied. Word of the situation was send to the satraps with requests for aid, asking for troops and supplies. Karanos’ greatest asset was that he controlled the king himself: it was his presence which legitimized Karanos’ claim to the regency and Alexander IV was always present at parades and exercises, a reminder of the continuity of the Argead dynasty, to which the army was still fanatically loyal. Karanos thus had a reasonably strong position, and with possible aid from the satraps his strength would only increase, enabling him to overpower Antigonos. Instead of abandoning Babylon, which Antigonos expected him to do, he remained in place, daring Antigonos to strike.

As seat of the Argead Empire Babylon was unsurpassed and critical to Antigonos’ claim to power, but he could not risk encirclement by his enemies. His brother Demetrios he left behind in Syria to see off any attempts at invasion from either Anatolia or Egypt while at the same time he send east his close companion Peukestas with a force 25000 strong, which was meant to either intimidate or stop the eastern satraps from reinforcing Karanos. Peukestas, a grandson of Alexander the Great’s companion of the same name, was half-Persian half-Macedonian and fluent in both languages. Much like his grandfather he had adopted Persian dress and customs, but unlike his grandfather not many among the Argead nobility detested him for this and many followed him in this trend of cultural cross-pollination. In January 267 he occupied Ekbatana, forcing the Median satrap Darius to flee, and thus preventing forces from northern Iran or beyond to join up with Karanos.

It is unknown if Antigonos himself was aware of the state of affairs further east, but it is not unlikely, just like Karanos he had a network of informants and spies. The battle of Taxila had dramatically changed the balance of power in the east, where at first the Argeads were more or less unopposed (although also somewhat overstretched) now they had to contend with Suracaksas’ Gandharan kingdom, which was evidently a potent force. The territories beyond the Hindu Kush were irrevocably lost, and the various garrisons and cities alongside the Indus surrendered later that year without much resistance: for the Macedonians there was little hope of an easy reconquest. Suracaksas however was not interested into expansion further west, it was in the Gangetic Plain that he saw the future of his nascent empire. After Philip IV’s death the remnants of his army retreated back to Bactra, where the satrap Ptolemaios had freed Amyntor from prison after hearing of his brother’s death. While there was some talk of another offensive into India the idea was quickly shelved after news of the crisis over the regency reached Bactra. As a close ally of Karanos there was no doubt about who Amyntor supported, but in order to march west he first needed to settle affairs in the east.

Having secured his hold over the Indus Valley Suracaksas was more than willing to sign a treaty with the ‘mleccha’. For the Macedonians it was a humiliation, despite the death of their king there would be no vengeance against Suracaksas, and for the Gandharans it was a triumph: they went from a vassal state to arguably the dominant state of India only in the span of a few years. Terms however were not harsh for the Argeads: beyond Gandhara, the Indus and some parts of the Kabul Valley not much was lost. In return for some talents of silver Suracaksas also released many captives: the elite regiments of the Argyraspidai and Athanatoi were present at Taxila but had suffered relatively few losses, they surrendered wholesale after Suracaksas captured their baggage train. These highly trained troops could be crucial in the coming struggle so Amyntor was eager to recruit them. Another provision of the peace treaty gave Suracaksas the right to buy horses and hire mercenaries from the Saka, eager as he was to complement his own army with a capable force of cavalry. In return Suracaksas agreed to give 150 elephants to Amyntor. With peace signed Suracaksas could now dedicate himself to his great ambition: the subjugation of the Gangetic states and the creation of an Indian empire [2]. Amyntor could now dedicate himself to defeating Antigonos, in February 267 he finally departed Bactra with an army 30000 strong.

1621549836215.png

Battle of Hekatompylos

He force-marched his armies west, stopping at Merv for supplies and a short rest, and it was also there that he met the Median satrap Darius, who informed him of the presence of Peukestas’ force in Ekbatana. Undeterred Amyntor pressed onward, and Peukestas marched out to confront him. It was near Hekatompylos, in the satrapy of Parthia, that the armies faced off. At first there were attempts at negotiation, in both armies there was unrest among the Macedonian contingents about fighting against their own countrymen, but despite that all fighting still broke out. In the end it was Amyntor’s deployment of the Argyraspidai that proved to be the winning move, professional and without remorse they easily bested the opposing phalanx, which consisted of less experienced men. Having broken through the enemy’s left wing the Argyraspidai reformed and struck the rest of Peukestas’ formation in their flank. Peukestas’ cavalry retreated from the field, and later offered their service to Amyntor, leaving his infantry stranded. The first large scale battle of the war ended in a victory for Amyntor and thus Karanos.

For Karanos the victory at Hekatompylos could not have come at a better time. Antigonos had marched on Babylon in January, but his offensive had not gone as planned. Babylonia was a land of canals, and this only increased with the ascent of the Argead dynasty and their investments in the expansion of agriculture and trade. Antigonos was thus bogged down crossing canal after canal, constantly harassed by Karanos’ forces. Just north of Babylon there was a large canal, known as the Canal of Asklepiades after its architect, which connected the Euphrates with the Tigris. Karanos positioned his troops behind this canal, which Antigonos had to cross in order to reach Babylon. The Euphrates was blocked by a dozen triremes linked together with a iron chain, making it impossible for Antigonos’ river fleet to reach the city. Karanos had ordered the arsenals and weapon workshops of Babylon emptied and lined the banks of the Canal of Asklepiades with ballistae and catapults. Antigonos made several attempts at crossing the canal, but those were bloodily repulsed by Karanos’ troops. Perhaps Antigonos would have found a way to dislodge Karanos, but when the news of the defeat at Hekatompylos reached him he decided to retreat back to Syria, to escape being trapped between the armies of Karanos and Amyntor.

In Syria however the situation was also dire. Demetrios, Antigonos younger brother and his deputy in Syria, had to deal with invasions from north and south. From Anatolia the satrap of Cappadocia, a native nobleman named Arsames, had invaded Cilicia and now launched raids towards Nikatoris (OTL Antioch) and from Egypt the satrap Lagos launched his assault, he quickly occupied the southern Levant and was now poised to strike north. For a moment it must have seemed as if Antigonos’ cause was doomed. Antigonos returned to Nikatoris in April 267, leaving behind his lieutenant Diomedes at Zeugma to prevent Karanos’ forces from crossing the Euphrates, and immediately launched his counterattack. In a whirlwind campaign he drove back Arsames, first his Median cavalry bested Arsames’ Cappadocians at the Syrian Gates and two weeks later at Tarsus Antigonos’ veterans (many of whom served under him in Italy) broke through Arsames’ lines, after which the Cappadocian satrap fled into the city. Not long afterwards Tarsus’ garrison send Arsames head to Antigonos and switched sides. Antigonos however was in no position to pursue a campaign further into Anatolia, because Lagos was now threatening the Phoenician cities, which were all supportive of Antigonos’ cause. Granting his troops no respite Antigonos quickly marched south, surprising Lagos who was encamped near Byblos. Perhaps he had hoped that Arsames would deal with the problem, but with Antigonos and his army now bearing down on his position Lagos chose to retreat.

1621549769198.png

Antigonos fighting Lagos at Akko

Near Akko however Lagos was overtaken by Antigonos’ army, which was driven forward relentlessly by its ambitious commander. Despite outnumbering his opponent Lagos was not confident of his position, his forces consisted of on one hand inexperienced levies and on the other hand veterans whom he distrusted because many had served under Antigonos. It was augmented by mercenaries from as far afield as Thrace and Arabia. Once again however Antigonos carried the day, Lagos gambled everything on a mass charge of his cavalry on the right flank which was countered by Antigonos himself who commanded a squadron of the hetairoi. Antigonos deliberately sought out Lagos and slew him, after which the battle ended rather quickly. Sensing an opportunity Antigonos quickly marshalled a part of his fleet and sailed for Egypt, at Pelusium he accepted the surrender of its garrison and not long afterwards Antigonos reached Memphis in July 267. Egypt quickly changed sides, it was home to many veterans who served under either Antigonos or his father and for the country’s administration little changed except the recipient of Egypt’s taxes.

However while gaining Egypt Antigonos was at risk of losing Syria. Two inconclusive battles, one near Edessa and another near Zeugma, were fought between Diomedes and Amyntor. Antigonos once again rushed north, but in September 267 Diomedes was swept of the field by Amyntor not far from Nikatoris. Amyntor entered Antigonos’ erstwhile capital in triumph and celebrated his victory in Antigonos’ lavishly decorated palace. Three weeks later the two faced off against each other at the plains near Emesa. Both sides deployed around 50000 troops, Antigonos led his hetairoi forward and managed to best Amyntor’s Persian cavalry but when he reformed his cavalry to strike Amyntor’s rear positions he was confronted by war elephants who kept his cavalry at bay. In the meantime the Argyraspidai bested Antigonos’ veterans and drove them back. Antigonos did manage to return to his lines in the end and managed a retreat, but his army was badly mauled. He fell back on the cities of Phoenicia , from where he ferried most of his army to Egypt, which was to function as his new base of operations. Antigonos had suffered a grievous blow, but he was certainly not about to give up.

Amyntor quickly regained most of the Levant, entering Damascus in October 267 and Jerusalem a month later. He negotiated with the Nabataeans for their support for a campaign in Egypt, and with their support he crossed the Sinai in December 267 but he was bogged down at Pelusium, which once again performed its role as bulwark of Egypt against Asian invaders. An outbreak of disease forced his retreat in March 266, after which Amyntor returned to Asia to oversee the siege of Tyre. Using his large fleet, constructed for Philip III’s envisioned campaign against Carthage, Antigonos supplied and supported various coastal strongholds in Phoenicia and Syria, making sure to keep pressure on Amyntor. A campaign was also launched against Cyprus, where the vassal king of Cypriot Salamis chose the side of Antigonos and was duly rewarded with 5000 troops to subjugate the rest of the island. Antigonos thus changed his strategy, now he would use his naval forces to strike at his enemies.

In Egypt he regrouped his forces, hiring mercenaries and recalling veterans. His warchest was depleted, but his men’s loyalty to him was still high. Of course he also employed many mercenaries, to whom personal loyalty often meant nothing, and in order to pay them Antigonos heightened taxes and confiscated gold and silver from temples. He also send Diomedes upstream, to gather gold, silver and other valuables in Upper Egypt and perhaps launch a campaign against Kush to gain that land’s famed goldmines. In the meantime Antigonos embarked upon his most ambitious venture in April 266, taking 200 ships he sailed first to Rhodes, which quickly chose his side, and afterwards he sailed into the Aegean. Halikarnassos fell to a quick naval assault, Ephesos evicted its pro-Karanos garrison after a short blockade and near Naxos a fleet send by the Macedonian regent Patroklos was defeated decisively. In August 266 Antigonos landed at Piraios with his army, and there he declared that the Greek cities would be autonomous and ungarrisoned, hoping to win them over to his side.

Footnotes

1. That might not sound much like an insult, but treasurers in this era were often eunuchs.
  2. More on that in the next update.

Last edited:
So far I side with Karanos in the civil war, as he is far more level headed and does have the support of the Royal Family. Arsinoe could very well be right that Antigonos could be a huge threat to the entire Argead dynasty given his ego and entitlement to his position as the regent. Still, Antigonos is definitely not going down without a fight, as he still possesses Egypt, Syria, and Macedonia, with Greece possibly following. I'll be at the edge of my seat when the next civil war update drops!