Horror at the Dawn of the Millenium: An Alternate War on Terror TL

I could imagine, that Castro could somehow survive - maybe he did sneak out of the General Assembly hall (not for smoking, he did quit it 1985), but for giving some good Cuban Cigars as a "gift" for a American comrade in UN staff.

OMG that's totally a brilliant mini-POD that I could through in there:D

September 8, 2015

Tehran, Iran

Hassan Habibi sat alone in his office. He couldn't believe that he was now the President of Iran. During all of his time as the Iranian First Vice-President, he had never imaged that he would ever assume a position of actual power. But now that he was in a position of power, he was terrified. The fate of the Reform movement was now in his hands. As the American superhero, Superman, had once said, "With great power comes great responsibility."

Actually, that's a Spiderman quote.

If anyone at the Summit survives the attack, then the dictator of Togo Gnassingbé Eyadéma definitely should, if only because of his utterly insane personality that was definitely helped along because of this incident here. Imagining how much more crazy he'd get after surviving a terrorist attack on that magnitude is extremely amusing.

Very interesting start to a TL, by the way.

abc123

Banned
So, can we get a definitive list of countries whose heads of state/governmenmt died during this attack?:confused:

They I could help you a bit with some countries...

And BTW, Joschka Fischer would not become the new Chancellor, he was from junior coalition partner, someone from SPD will become the Chancellor, while Fischer could serve as acting Chancellor...

Maybe Franz Munterfering, Bodo Hombach or Oskar Lafontaine...

While John Anderson was the Deputy Prime Minister, it would be Peter Costello who would become Prime Minister. (The PM always comes from the party in the Coalition which holds the most seats.)

While John Anderson was the Deputy Prime Minister, it would be Peter Costello who would become Prime Minister. (The PM always comes from the party in the Coalition which holds the most seats.)

Duely noted and will be taken care of.

So, can we get a definitive list of countries whose heads of state/governmenmt died during this attack?:confused:

They I could help you a bit with some countries...

And BTW, Joschka Fischer would not become the new Chancellor, he was from junior coalition partner, someone from SPD will become the Chancellor, while Fischer could serve as acting Chancellor...

Maybe Franz Munterfering, Bodo Hombach or Oskar Lafontaine...

Joschka Fishcer was the Vice-Chancellor at the time and would take over in the event of the Chancellor dying. However he will likely call early elections and merely serve as a interim leader. Or that's what a German friend of mine told me.

Also every leader present with the exception of Castro and Eyadema was killed. The latter two managed to survive by being in the right place at the right time (i.e. absent.)

September 8, 2000

George Bush Election Headquarters, Austin, TX

Governor Bush sat in his office. He was shocked and saddened by the horror that had been inflicted less than 24 hours prior. The last 24 hours had been terrible. The United States had just lost over 4,000 citizens in a massive terror attack. And the world was in shambles, with over a hundred world leaders dead and the global markets in turmoil. He hadn't slept in over a day and was barely able to stay awake. Just as he was about to finally collapse into a slumber he was awakened by an aid who burst into the room.

"Mr. Bush, I think that we should criticize President Clinton for being responsible for-," started John, one of his aids.

"Goddammit, man! Thousands of people are dead and all you can talk about is how we can exploit this tragedy for the election by damning the now deceased ex-President! Get a grip!" Yelled the Governor.

"But-"

"No buts! I want you to pull all negative ads from the air, and postpone all other adds for the rest of the week. Furthermore, I intend to call President Gore and talk to him and give him my wishes."

Surprised by this outburst, John turned and exited the room in order to fulfill the orders of his boss.

"Mr. President, Governor Bush is on the phone and would like to briefly talk with you."

This is an unexpected surprise, Gore thought to himself. Why would his political arch-rival be calling him at a time like this. But he decided it would be rude to reject him and decided to take the call. So he got up and walked into the next room where a staffer had the Texan on the line.

"Hello?" queried the President.

"Oh hi, Al. I just wanted to talk to you about the election real quick."

"Look I don't really have time to discuss politics with you right now," Gore snapped back.

"It's not like that replied," replied George. President Al Gore heard a heavy sigh on the opposing end. "I was thinking that in the wake of the terrorist attack I think that we should display unity during this time of war. I would like to propose that we halt all attack ads and agree to show restraint and respect towards each other in the coming two months. I think it would be only proper if we did so, if only to keep the American people unified during the coming months as we go to war."

"Ok," Gore replied. "I really appreciate your professionalism George and I hope that this election will be one of national unity, where Americans take advantage of the right to vote, which unfortunately so many people don't enjoy around world. How about this, regardless of who wins this election, let's pledge to be partners in the coming years and work together to alleviate at least of the some of the partisanship that exists here in Washington, ok?"

Before Gore hear Mr. Bush's answer, a staffer walked up beside him and told him, "Mr. Gore, you have a meeting in the Situation Room in five minutes."

"Oh-, look George, I'm sorry but I have to go now for a briefing, I hope we can talk later, ok?"

"Sure thing," Governor Bush replied, his Texan drawl ringing through the phone. As the President hung up, George Bush sat there on the other end of the line.

"I've already lost the election," he lamented to himself. Attempting to console himself, he thought, "at least I can help establish a new kind of politics, based on hope and unity."

September 8, 2000
"I've already lost the election," he lamented to himself. Attempting to console himself, he thought, "at least I can help establish a new kind of politics, based on hope and unity."

Aw, man - you threw your cards on the table way too quickly. LOL

You never know...

Bush could make a miraculous comeback and win against the successor to a popular assassinated President, during the middle of a major war.

I didn't say that might not be an outcome; I meant the irony of W ending up with "hope" as a campaign slogan.

Chapter 6: The United States Response, Part 2

September 8, 2000

New York City, NY, United States

The city of New York is a state of pain. Walking down the street one can see a full panorama of human emotion. Looking around at other humans, one can see collective and personal mourning, with people weeping the loss of fellow New Yorkers, the loss of loved ones, and the loss of innocence. One can sense an invisible aura of anger, as people wish to avenge the fallen and bring the terrorist to justice. Occasionally, one will see euphoria as one witnesses the reunion of people who were separated and presumed lost in the events of yesterday. Today New York is a microcosm of the whole world. A world in mourning; a world recoiling at evil

September 8, 2000

Situation Room, White House, Washington D.C.

"Mr. President, our agents here in the FBI have been looking through the lists of passengers who were aboard the hijacked flights, and I think that we have identified who is responsible," said FBI Director Louis Freeh. " We have identified roughly 20 individuals who we are certain are from the terrorist group Al-Qaeda. This plus previous threats from the organization to initiate a major terrorist attack involving planes appears to make it clear that they were accountable for yesterday's attacks."

"OK," said the President. "General Shelton, what are our options to respond to this, militarily."

Leaning forward in his chair, General Shelton said, "Mr. President, we have drawn up a series of potential military responses. Fundamentally, I believe that we need to eliminate the sanctuaries Al-Qaeda has in Afghanistan if we are to prevent another attack like what happened yesterday. The previous administration, well, they had a weak response Al-Qaeda's previous attacks on us, such as with the Embassy Bombings in 1998."

The President's weak response lead to his own death, Al Gore thought to himself. Gore was still in a state of shock at the very thought that Bill, his mentor for the last eight years, was no longer on the face of this earth. He had talked with Mrs. Clinton earlier today. He had seen the pain on her face and it was just so horrible. He had felt so entirely powerless to help alleviate her pain, despite the fact that he now was the most powerful man on the face of this Earth.

"Basically it comes down to this," continued General Shelton, "we can either,
1. Arm the Northern Alliance and hope that they can defeat the Taliban and drive out Al-Qaeda from Afghanistan.
2. Initiate a bombing campaign and attempt to assist the Northern Alliance through the air, similar to how we assisted the Kosovars last year. or
3. We can send in a large land army to militarily defeat Al-Qaeda and it's Taliban backers and occupy the country while we eliminate the terrorists."

"What do you suggest General?" inquired Gore. He hated to even think of the prospect of being responsible for sending Americans to die in combat. He also realized that as Commander in Chief he had the duty to protect the American people and to defend them against the terrorists. It was a whole different world now.

"Well, in all honesty, Mr. President, the first two options suck and will not accomplish our objectives. The only option that will work is to militarily defeat the Taliban and Al-Qaeda via a land invasion."

"Okay, we will give the Taliban one last chance to hand over Bin Laden, and dismantle the camps and then we will go for the military option."

"Fat chance of that happening," Gore thought to himself. Al Gore slumped back in his chair. He would almost certainly have the gut wrenching the task of sending Americans to die in war.

September 9, 2000

CNN Headquarters, Atlanta

CNN Anchor: In the wake of the tragedy at the Millennium Summit, only two world leaders who were present survived, Fidel Castro of Cuba and President Gnassingbe Eyadema of Togo.

Fidel Castro was participating in an interview with ABC when the terror attacks started to occur. He has returned back to Cuba, and was greeted by exuberant crowds after his landing in Havana, with one Cuban being quoted as saying "thank God, our comrade has been spared!"

The other head of state, Gnassingbe Eyadema, is the President of Togo. He has been renowned for his eccentricity, and had cultivated a personality cult around himself. Having previously survived several assassination attempts and a plane crash in 1974, he claims to have superhuman abilities and to possess invincibility. He was quoted, "I miraculously detected the foul neo-colonialist plot that was directed at me from the French imperialists and was, thanks to the grace of God able to once again avoid calamity." Clearly convinced that the terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center and the UN Headquarters that killed ~4,000+ people were solely directed at having him eliminated, he has returned to Togo, where he claims that he will be protected by his people who "are infatuated with a burning love for me."

To this outlandish claim, New York Mayor Giuliani replied, "This egomaniac is clearly out of touch with reality. To think that this tragedy is all about him (Eyadama), is not just out of touch, it's insulting. We're glad that he's gone home to Togo. Perhaps his people will get some sense and elect someone else."

220px-Gnassingbe_Eyadema_detail1_DF-SC-84-10025.jpg
220px-Cuba.FidelCastro.02.jpg

Mr. Edadema (left) and Fidel Castro (right) are the only heads of state who were present at the Millennium Summit who survived. The former has stirred controversy by asserting that the Millennium Attacks was a French assassination attempt against him.

September 8, 2000

New York City, NY, United States

The city of New York is a state of pain. Walking down the street one can see a full panorama of human emotion. Looking around at other humans, one can see collective and personal mourning, with people weeping the loss of fellow New Yorkers, the loss of loved ones, and the loss of innocence. One can sense an invisible aura of anger, as people wish to avenge the fallen and bring the terrorist to justice. Occasionally, one will see euphoria as one witnesses the reunion of people who were separated and presumed lost in the events of yesterday. Today New York is a microcosm of the whole world. A world in mourning; a world recoiling at evil

September 8, 2000

Situation Room, White House, Washington D.C.

"Mr. President, our agents here in the FBI have been looking through the lists of passengers who were aboard the hijacked flights, and I think that we have identified who is responsible," said FBI Director Louis Freeh. " We have identified roughly 20 individuals who we are certain are from the terrorist group Al-Qaeda. This plus previous threats from the organization to initiate a major terrorist attack involving planes appears to make it clear that they were accountable for yesterday's attacks."

"OK," said the President. "General Shelton, what are our options to respond to this, militarily."

Leaning forward in his chair, General Shelton said, "Mr. President, we have drawn up a series of potential military responses. Fundamentally, I believe that we need to eliminate the sanctuaries Al-Qaeda has in Afghanistan if we are to prevent another attack like what happened yesterday. The previous administration, well, they had a weak response Al-Qaeda's previous attacks on us, such as with the Embassy Bombings in 1998."

The President's weak response lead to his own death, Al Gore thought to himself. Gore was still in a state of shock at the very thought that Bill, his mentor for the last eight years, was no longer on the face of this earth. He had talked with Mrs. Clinton earlier today. He had seen the pain on her face and it was just so horrible. He had felt so entirely powerless to help alleviate her pain, despite the fact that he now was the most powerful man on the face of this Earth.

"Basically it comes down to this," continued General Shelton, "we can either,
1. Arm the Northern Alliance and hope that they can defeat the Taliban and drive out Al-Qaeda from Afghanistan.
2. Initiate a bombing campaign and attempt to assist the Northern Alliance through the air, similar to how we assisted the Kosovars last year. or
3. We can send in a large land army to militarily defeat Al-Qaeda and it's Taliban backers and occupy the country while we eliminate the terrorists."

"What do you suggest General?" inquired Gore. He hated to even think of the prospect of being responsible for sending Americans to die in combat. He also realized that as Commander in Chief he had the duty to protect the American people and to defend them against the terrorists. It was a whole different world now.

"Well, in all honesty, Mr. President, the first two options suck and will not accomplish our objectives. The only option that will work is to militarily defeat the Taliban and Al-Qaeda via a land invasion."

"Okay, we will give the Taliban one last chance to hand over Bin Laden, and dismantle the camps and then we will go for the military option."

"Fat chance of that happening," Gore thought to himself. Al Gore slumped back in his chair. He would almost certainly have the gut wrenching the task of sending Americans to die in war.

September 9, 2000

CNN Headquarters, Atlanta

CNN Anchor: In the wake of the tragedy at the Millennium Summit, only two world leaders who were present survived, Fidel Castro of Cuba and President Gnassingbe Eyadema of Togo.

Fidel Castro was participating in an interview with ABC when the terror attacks started to occur. He has returned back to Cuba, and was greeted by exuberant crowds after his landing in Havana, with one Cuban being quoted as saying "thank God, our comrade has been spared!"

The other head of state, Gnassingbe Eyadema, is the President of Togo. He has been renowned for his eccentricity, and had cultivated a personality cult around himself. Having previously survived several assassination attempts and a plane crash in 1974, he claims to have superhuman abilities and to possess invincibility. He was quoted, "I miraculously detected the foul neo-colonialist plot that was directed at me from the French imperialists and was, thanks to the grace of God able to once again avoid calamity." Clearly convinced that the terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center and the UN Headquarters that killed ~4,000+ people were solely directed at having him eliminated, he has returned to Togo, where he claims that he will be protected by his people who "are infatuated with a burning love for me."

To this outlandish claim, New York Mayor Giuliani replied, "This egomaniac is clearly out of touch with reality. To think that this tragedy is all about him (Eyadama), is not just out of touch, it's insulting. We're glad that he's gone home to Togo. Perhaps his people will get some sense and elect someone else."

220px-Gnassingbe_Eyadema_detail1_DF-SC-84-10025.jpg
220px-Cuba.FidelCastro.02.jpg

Mr. Edadema (left) and Fidel Castro (right) are the only heads of state who were present at the Millennium Summit who survived. The former has stirred controversy by asserting that the Millennium Attacks was a French assassination attempt against him.

Even in the face of a massive tragedy, Mr. Eyadema is still his loony self.

Chapter 6: The United States Response, Part 3

September 13, 2000

Congress, Washington D.C., USA

Text of President Gore's speech to the Congress

"Ladies and Gentlemen, the President of the United States!"

The crowd erupts into thunderous applause as President Gore walks up to the speaking podium.

"Mr. Speaker, Mr. President Pro Tempore, members of Congress, and fellow Americans, in the normal course of events, presidents come to this chamber to report on the state of the union. I can confidently tell you that the state of the union is strong.

Over the past week we have seen the best in humanity contrast itself against the very worst of humanity.

Nations all around the world have come forth in this universal hour of tragedy with a resolve to defeat the forces of darkness.

The United States and all the nations of the world have been altered to the danger of terrorism and religious hatred. Together the world will face and overcome terrorism and build a world free from fear.

(Applause)

All across our great nation, and this beautiful Earth, aid has come in to help those in need. Let us never forget the generosity of strangers who helped in this hour of need. On behalf of the American people, I say thank you and God bless you.

(Applause)

Today, our true and great friend Britain has shown her solidarity with us, by sending her Prime Minister across the ocean. Thank you for coming across the pond, Mr. Prescott.

(Applause)

On September 7th, a day which will live in infamy for all mankind, the enemies of all free men assaulted the Twin Towers, two symbols of American prosperity, as well as the Millennium Summit, a meeting of heads of states who were nobly committed to peace and to the alleviation of poverty. All this occurred in one day, one day that will permanently alter the world.

"Many people here in the United States and around the world are wondering to themselves, 'who launched this attack?' Tonight we have answers to those questions. The great men in the American Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) have been thoroughly investigating the attacks, and have found evidence, which will be published tomorrow, that indicates that the September 7 attacks were a conspiracy by Al-Qaeda.

These are the same terrorists who launched the 1998 Embassy Bombings and the attack on the USS Cole. This is an organization that practices an extreme form of Islam, which is rejected by the overwhelming majority of Islamic clerics and Muslims everywhere.

This organization has vowed to kill people of all faiths who stand in their way, including women and children.

This organization has the support and is given sanctuary by the Taliban regime that rules over Afghanistan. In that Central Asian country, Al-Qaeda trains thousands of people a year in the methods of terrorism.

Al-Qaeda is allied with the Taliban government that gives it sanctuary, and assists them in oppressing the Afghan people. It is in Afghanistan that we see the manifestation of Al-Qaeda's twisted vision for the whole world. Women aren't allowed to go to school or to leave the home. Religion is only permitted to be practiced in the fashion that the Taliban leadership dictates.

America's problem isn't with the Afghan people. We stand in solidarity with them and are in fact the largest contributor of humanitarian aid to Afghanistan. Rather our problem is with the Al-Qaeda, which exploits Afghanistan as a training camp for terror and the Taliban regime which supports them. By assisting in terrorism, the Taliban are committing murder.

(Applause)

The Taliban regime's support for terror poises a threat to global security.

Therefore, the United States of America and the whole world makes the following demands

1.) Deliver to the United States all the leaders of Al-Qaeda who are in Afghanistan to the United States.

2.) Release all foreigners in your country you have injustly imprisoned. Respect the rights of journalists, diplomats, and aid workers in Afghanistan.

3.) Dismantle all the terror camps in Afghanistan. Allow US and UN inspectors into your country to verify that every terror camp is permanently and entirely closed town. And surrender every terrorist and their support structure to the appropriate authorities.

These are non-negotiable points. The Taliban must act swiftly to comply with these demands. They will abandon terrorism or suffer in the same fate as the terrorists.

Furthermore, from this day forward, the world will not tolerate any nation that sponsors terror. Any nation that associates itself with terrorism will be held accountable for the actions of the terrorists it supports.

(Applause)

I would like to take a moment to speak to Muslim communities all around the world. The United States is not and will never be in a war against Islam. We are in a state of war with terrorist who corrupt the teachings of your religion and seek to conquer the Islamic world.

(Applause)

Last but not least, I would finally like to address the members of our armed services. The hour is approaching when you will be called into combat against the enemy. God is with you and we wish to thank you for your heroism.

So let the word go out to friend and foe alike, the United States and the whole free world will fight anyone, anywhere who dare to harm innocent life or liberty. During this hour of grief, let us summon the resolve to fight back and to prevail. And let us never lose sight of our goal: a world free from terror and fear, where all nations stand tall and unafraid, free to develop their societies and bring about liberty and prosperity.

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/Zh_EhGG5LWs/hqdefault.jpg
Gore addressed Congress nearly a week after the September 7 attacks. During his speech he laid out the US response to the attacks.