Follow up question is britain capable of building a super carrier and if so what would be likr compared to its american cousins.

If britain goes for a super carrier will more nations invest in super carriers?

Follow up question is britain capable of building a super carrier and if so what would be likr compared to its american cousins.

I think building one would be doable, but manning/operating it, while still maintaining a balanced navy is another question. Just one American-style super carrier would require more than double the crew of Eagle. A pair of carriers in the range of Eagle/Ark Royal or CVA01/02 (hopefully with a better deck layout and less complicated electronics) would suit Britain well ITTL.

Define "super carrier". Most probably you'll end up with something about the size of the current Queen Elizabeth class or of the 1952 fleet carrier design - going bigger than this adds a lot of infrastructure costs as what the UK already has can't support anything bigger. There is also the question of what you actually want to do with a carrier - "keeping up with the Joneses" isn't a good reason to spend billions.

No.

The bigger ships may have a Commander as well as the First Lieutenant. XO is an American term, like CIC (Operations Room in RN parlance)

Yep 'The Commander'. Got my last tour of the Ark book on my lap right now and that's what the lower ranks refer to him as.

Nick P

Donor
Excellent update, but what is this "XO" person you mentioned several times? No such person in the RN, the term belongs to the world's second best navy. You may actually be referring to the "1st Lieutenant", usually referred to as "Number One".

The Royal Navy does have Executive Officers or XO on large ships. They are called Number One in practice.
The title is mentioned in Phoenix Squadron by Rowland White so I would assume it was in common use in 1971.

Technically being pedantic, Warships tend not to anchor in the Solent, they anchor off Spithead or use Saint Helens Roads,The latter two are the traditional naval anchorages.

Long time since I read it but didn't they fake a list to make her appear more damaged than she was?
Yeah most of the damage was from a superstructure hit, they managed to repair enough to get flight ops going but:
Hid this until the US Pacific fleet could move through the Panama canal and join Nimitz for the strike to liberate Iceland late in the book.

Yep 'The Commander'. Got my last tour of the Ark book on my lap right now and that's what the lower ranks refer to him as.

The Royal Navy does have Executive Officers or XO on large ships. They are called Number One in practice.
The title is mentioned in Phoenix Squadron by Rowland White so I would assume it was in common use in 1971.

Ah, well, if it's in books it must be true. I only spent the 70s in the Navy, so what would I know?

By the laws of the interwebs a knowledge of pooter games trumps real life knowledge

Obviously, lets dismiss scholarship out of hand.

As for lived experience. @dvyws Age for beauty and all that obviously, I'm happy to bow to you but next time I run into R.Adm Morisetti at the RAC or the In & Out Club would you agree he is an ok source to support/confirm either side (commanding officer HMS Invincible)? He's the only guy I know who ran a big ship. The other top bods I know are all submariners.

This is a conversation I've had before and it ended in stalemate so I would like confirmation one way or another. Because I've seen a number of differing evidence and opinions from primary and secondary sources.

Last edited: