Hitler captured alive well before end of ww2

There was a novel called the Trial of Adolf Hitler. It took place iirc in the 1960's and Hitler revels himself and goes on Trial to serve as the lunching of a new 4th Reich.
The Young Lawyer who defend Hitler end up becoming the Leader of the new 4th Reich.

Its hard to say how Hitler would react to torture...

By April 1945, Adolf was so far gone physically that any torture would likely prove fatal. In fact, had he been captured by the Wallies, his serious health issues, including parkinson's disease, and delusional state may have rendered him unfit to stand trial.

There was a novel called the Trial of Adolf Hitler. It took place iirc in the 1960's

IIRC in 1970. That's highly unrealistic, because a doctor who saw Adolf in April 1945 said that "there would be no St Helena" for Adolf Hitler, since his very poor health meant "he had one, two, at most three years left to live."

In fact, had he been captured by the Wallies, his serious health issues, including parkinson's disease, and delusional state may have rendered him unfit to stand trial.

So, what would they have done with him in that case? Just toss him into a sanatorium ala Man in the High Castle?

So, what would they have done with him in that case? Just toss him into a sanatorium ala Man in the High Castle?

Probably depends on who captures him. Some Jewish-American boy from the Bronx who's unit has seen the Camps? Hitler and anyone near him gets 30 rounds of .45 before the rest of the squad wrestles the Thompson out of the lad's hands.

Probably depends on who captures him. Some Jewish-American boy from the Bronx who's unit has seen the Camps? Hitler and anyone near him gets 30 rounds of .45 before the rest of the squad wrestles the Thompson out of the lad's hands.
As a High School History Teacher, I would bring in World War Two Veterans to talk to my students.
One of the Story that one of the Veterans told was about the time , they captured some guards who had work at one of the Camps.
One of the Sergeants volunteered to take the guards back to command. The Sergeant came back to report that all of the guards had attempted to escape and he had to shoot and killed all of them.
When the unit commander repeated what had happen latter that day to another officer, the second officer ask, "Why did you let the Sergeant take them? You knew he was Jewish right?"

Perhaps he just happens to be near one of the paradrop sites for Market Garden and gets captured by the Airbourne forces? Unlike Stalingrad, at least that is far enough from the front line to not seem totally stupid or out of character. AFAIK Hitler didn't visit the line much, if at all.

- BNC

There were a few trips, a believable POD could be made here.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskHistorians/comments/9zgvia/did_adolf_hitler_ever_visit_the_front_lines/

By April 1945, Adolf was so far gone physically that any torture would likely prove fatal. In fact, had he been captured by the Wallies, his serious health issues, including parkinson's disease, and delusional state may have rendered him unfit to stand trial.

IIRC in 1970. That's highly unrealistic, because a doctor who saw Adolf in April 1945 said that "there would be no St Helena" for Adolf Hitler, since his very poor health meant "he had one, two, at most three years left to live."

Göring was a real mess when captured but the Allies patched him together. Much of Hitler's problems were self-induced by his demands on his doctors.

Göring was a real mess when captured but the Allies patched him together. Much of Hitler's problems were self-induced by his demands on his doctors.

Goering was pretty obese but not as bad off as Adolf. Besides Parkinson's disease, he had "rapidly advancing arterioschlerosis" and was prematurely aged.

If the Soviets capture him, he won't remain alive and well for long. If we capture him, he either hangs a few weeks after trial, or dies twenty years later in Spandau Prison.

Actually I think he will live longer with the Soviets. He will wish he was dead but the NKVD will do anything it can to make sure it takes him a long time to die. I see them torturing him for days and then allowing him to heal up so they can torture him longer. Before long he will be begging for death.

If the Wallies capture him he is hanged shortly thereafter . There is NO scenario in which Hitler will survive this.

That wouldn't be the problem - a hysterical ranting madman would serve excellently as Exhibit A for Western Capitalist Decadence. More problematic is Hitler potentially using Molotov-Ribbentrop to embarrass Stalin in public.

(I think the safest way of conducting the trial is to claim that Hitler needs to be kept confined for his own safety, and have his edited statements read out by the court. If Hitler needs to be displayed in public, drug him into a stupor).

After the NKVD is done with him he will confess everything and acknowledge the true righteousness of Bolshevism! Unless Stalin feels lunatic rants serve his propagandize purposes better. In which case they will just allow him to rant.

More generally, the Fuhrer in the Dock scenario often ends up giving a new lease on life to Nazism if he becomes more of a martyr to the far right.

Doubtful, the Nazi Party was losing legitimacy fast by late 1944-early 1945. There were too many defeats, too much deprivation , too much corruption and too many high Nazi officials fleeing to the hills the moment the Allies showed up.

As a High School History Teacher, I would bring in World War Two Veterans to talk to my students.
One of the Story that one of the Veterans told was about the time , they captured some guards who had work at one of the Camps.
One of the Sergeants volunteered to take the guards back to command. The Sergeant came back to report that all of the guards had attempted to escape and he had to shoot and killed all of them.
When the unit commander repeated what had happen latter that day to another officer, the second officer ask, "Why did you let the Sergeant take them? You knew he was Jewish right?"

I remember once reading* that in a # of
concentration camps which American forces had liberated our troops became so enraged @ what they found that they took out all the
guards & shot them. Not a single soldier was
ever prosecuted.

*- I think it was in US NEWS & WORLD RE-
PORT way back in 1985.

Last edited:
Somehow get him captured by the Chinese communists and 're-educated' al la the last Emperor.....

Totally ASB but.........

Perhaps he believes that the Chinese will protect him b/c Germany helped them with military aid, flees to China by uboat, and wanders through China until he's captured by a Communist column?

A secret espionage/commando unit set up in the Nazi government. The unit captures Hitler, along with the conspirators and flees to the Netherlands. This occurs before WW2 and before Hitler went around the Maginot. Hitler is captured but Himmler or somebody else succeeds him and the war still happens but this time it’s to recover Hitler who is constantly being shifted back and forth between the allies.