Hitler and Stalin become close personal friends in Vienna

In 1913, Hitler and Stalin lived in Vienna. They did not live in the same area, but they were frequent visitors of Cafe Central. In our timeline, language barrier would have been a problem. Stalin did try to learn German in his early life, though, so let's say here that he was particularly fluent.

What if they met and became friends, leaving a lasting good impression on each other?

What would be the aftermath be? Would Stalin and/or Hitler be different to OTL?

It should also be worth noting that Hitler was very poor by this point, and lived on freelance paintings and on essentially a homeless dormitory. Maybe Stalin could help Hitler get a better living space, or even make use of his artistic abilities to give him some income (maybe through drawing propaganda?)?

Last edited:
At work.

Well..... the SA, or 'Brown shirts', might have had a different/more interesting time.......

*Wiggles/waggles eyebrows*

I'll.... see myself out of the thread.....

Yes, and how wonderful they treated their friends. Well, Hitler was rather better about it. When he won an election his roommate from Vienna sent a congratulates letter to him. Hitler had fond memories of him and offered to make him a conductor for one of the larger symphonies. The man declined, though when the war turned for the worse he actually joined the Nazi Party as a bit of symbolic support for his friend. Anyways, could Stalin speak German? He was apparently very selfconcious at the education of many other Soviet leaders. You know, the ones who spent much of their time in France and Switzerland, while he was leading raids and groups on the ground during the Revolution.

It would be very difficult because Hitler ranted in Mein Kampf about all those foreigner, especially Slavs, infesting the city of Vienna. Was one of the reasons he went to Munich.

Hitler couldn't stand marxists. So, meeting is possible, but friendship? Hitler didn't have many friends in general, and Stalin doesn't seem like it either.

“Comrade Stalin, a telegram from Berlin!”

**Stalin opens the telegram**

“Joe,

On June 22, 1941, my forces will invade the Soviet Union. Sorry pal; it’s just business. Don’t worry; you will be the puppet ruler of Russia under the Greater Reich.

Adi

P.S. That was me who clogged the shitter when Eva and I came over last month. Sorry I blamed that one on Ukrainian nationalists.”

“Joe,

On June 22, 1941, my forces will invade the Soviet Union. Sorry pal; it’s just business. Don’t worry; you will be the puppet ruler of Russia under the Greater Reich.

Adi

P.S. That was me who clogged the shitter when Eva and I came over last month. Sorry I blamed that one on Ukrainian nationalists.”
that letter will get stalin removed from power post-barbarossa.

Deleted member 94680

Although @Colonel Zoidberg has already said it in a far funnier way then I was going to, I think the most you’d get is some kind of “Adolf-Joseph telegrams” the way we had the “Willy-Nicky telegrams” OTL in the run up to WWI.

Knowing each other, even if it was well, wouldn’t stop either doing what they did because, you know, they were both colossal psychopathic maniacs that murdered millions.

Hitler couldn't stand marxists. ,

I doubt that ideologically that Hitler would be such an enemy at the time enough at the time to stop such a meeting. Hitler was involved in the Labor movement too. Although not dealing with Marxism here are some interesting comments about Hitler by a Jewish man who could be described as Hitler's friend.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reinhold_Hanisch#Hanisch’s_statements_about_Hitler

This suggests that the later Hitler's ideology was not his earlier views.

So, meeting is possible,

According to several writer Hitler knew no foreign language which is what his translator stated yet we have some footage of Hitler speaking Italian, which means that he knows some words but we have no idea just how much. We do have some evidence that Hitler could understand English and French. None of this would help him with Stalin. But we know that Stalin did know a little German possibly only written but it is probably that he did know a few words if only to get around. So it is possible if they did meet that some communication was possible.

If they did meet and had coffee together it certainly would be memorable to both of them and to us as well.

but friendship? Hitler didn't have many friends in general,

With the possible exception of Speer who may not be a friend as such, I do not see his friends getting much out of Hitler. Ernst Röhm, again he may not be a friend as such, but he did kill Ernst Röhm when he got in Hitler's path.

August Kubizek was a true friend of Hitler but again Kubizek got little.

and Stalin doesn't seem like it either.

Stalin did seem to have a few friends and does appear to be more social but being a friend of Stalin did not help you much when you stood in path. It was said by a historian of Stalin that it was safer to be his ex-jailer then his friend.

Overall I agree with you and am sure it makes little difference if such a meeting took place.

Last edited: