Historical GIS Resources Thread

England and Wales 1961
England and Wales 1961
Administrative Counties 1961 Resized.jpg

I haven't had the motivation to continue with Albania, but in the meantime, here's a blank map of administrative counties and other subunits in England and Wales, December 1961. I was looking for ages for a freely available historic administrative shapefile for Great Britain, until recently. The source download is available at the link in my GitHub.
(P.S. I have a shapefile of ancient parishes of England and Wales in 1851.)

Otherwise, peace out!

Last edited:
Russian Central Asia uyezds, 1914, updated
Russian Central Asia uyezds, 1914, updated
P98ZoMi.png

(Административно-территориальное деление среднеазиатских областей Российской империи). Now including the four oblasts which comprise modern Kazakhstan, with some minor fixes for Turkestan gubernia proper. My earlier file can be considered obsolete. Note that the level of uncertainty on these borders is much higher than even the Turkestan gubernia ones, ESPECIALLY in Ural Oblast, which is the bane of my existence. Use accordingly.

Anhalt Gemeindegrenzen 1900 WIP
Anhalt WIP.png

A WIP of all municipalities and equivalents within the counties of Zerbst and Dessau of the Duchy of Anhalt as of January, 1st, 1900; Borders digitized from TK25 map sheets provided by GenWiki.(Outdated; Now use Kartenforum.) This is part of a much larger project, HGemeindeIS, to map out every municipality in the German Empire as of that time.
Will reupload when Anhalt is finished. (Currently have Ballenstedt, Bernburg, and Köthen left.)

Last edited:
Hamburg 1900
Hamburg.png
Hamburg1.png

Part of my HGemeindeIS project; Municipalities digitized from the Meßtischblatt 1:25000 sheets.
These maps represent the Landherrenschaften (Landlordships) of the Hanseatic City of Hamburg at the turn of the century.
(The bottom represents the Lanherrenschaft of Ritzebüttel, an exclave of Hamburg consisting of Cuxhaven and outlying suburbs.)

RISTAT - https://datasets.iisg.amsterdam/file.xhtml?fileId=10335&version=3.0
Russian empire provinces and districts, 1897
Hi sorry to bother you, but do you happen to know a mirror download for this dataset or could you or someone who has downloaded it share the file somewhere as the website seems to be down and I cannot access it at all. I've checked the internet archive/wayback machine if the download link was saved there, but it seems like no one has archived it.

Hi sorry to bother you, but do you happen to know a mirror download for this dataset or could you or someone who has downloaded it share the file somewhere as the website seems to be down and I cannot access it at all. I've checked the internet archive/wayback machine if the download link was saved there, but it seems like no one has archived it.
The website as of now is up again.

Tilsit Population
TilsitTestResized.png

This map depicts the populations of all municipalities in the rural and urban counties (Landkreis/Stadtkreis) of Tilsit as of the 1890's-1900's. Red=High population.
Do let me know of any mistakes in the map.

Sources:
Population: Gemeindeverzeichnis 1900 (Note: Population Statistics are mostly from 1910, some from 1905, 1900 for Tilsit.)
Admin Boundaries: Meßtischblatt TK25 map sheets from here.

Counties of Natal

Natal.png

Base geojson of Natal provided by Adrian Frith from here. Boundaries created from cadastral farmland shapefiles from PlanetGIS with additional ones digitized from CDNGI 1:50000 topographic maps.
These counties were the primary divisions of Natal during the nineteenth century, until their roles were succeeded by magisterial districts by the time the South Africa Act of 1909 went into effect.

Last edited:
British Raj, atemporal

3ZOB7TN.png

British India historical administrative divisions shapefiles

Provinces, princely states, and frontier regions of the British Raj. Areas within India are from 1948, while the Persian Gulf Residency as well as Burma I have tried to reconstruct as of the point they were detached from the Raj. This was an enormous undertaking so I may well have made errors, please let me know if you spot one.

Last edited: