Hijo Catolico - A Spanish TL

Points of Divergences
Hijo Catolico

Points of Divergences

“On Palencia on October 2, 1470, Isabella of Castile would give birth to a son, she would name as Alfonso, she would name after her own dead brother, the birth of a son would mean that Isabella of Castile would have a male heir on her own claims to Castile, a betrothal would be considered for his cousin, the future Juana I of Castile who is already betrothed to Charles, duke of Guiene.”

Isabel by Inaki Rodriguez c. 2000 AD

“On December 10, 1470, Margaret of York has finally given birth to a son named Philip, named after the father of Charles the Bold, the father in law of Margaret of York, Mary of Burgundy is married off to Nicholas, duke of Anjou and Claimant to the throne of Aragon and Naples, this marriage would later produce two surviving children, Margaret of Anjou (1473) and Rene II of Anjou(1480).

The birth of a son to Charles the Bold would mean a marriage alliance to end the problems between the French and the Burgundians should happen and a betrothal between Anne of France and Philip, Duke of Charolais would happen despite of their long age gap.”

Philip IV of Burgundy by Marie Jenner c. 2005 AD

Last edited:
The Betrothal
The Betrothal

“A betrothal between the healthy son of Isabella of Castile, Alfonso and Infanta Juana, his cousin is made nullifying an earlier betrothal, Isabella would be happy in the betrothal and a reunification of the two crowns the majority Catalan Crown of Aragon and Crown of Castile uniting the old Visigothic Iberia or the whole Iberian peninsula, this would give Juana’s father son peace of mind and would focus on the governship of the country improving how the country is ruled by Henry IV, another was a peace between Aragon and Portugal via a marriage between the future Alfonso VI and Isabella of Aragon.

Infanta Juana would have a better reputation as Henry IV of Castile would improve the order in the country by betrothing her to the son of his sister, Isabella and would lengthen his life to 1480, when Joanna I would take over as Queen.”

Juana I by Germaine Gregory c. 2000 AD

Last edited:
Children of John II of Castile
Henry IV of Castile
-Juana I of Castile b. 1462 m. Alfonso, duke of Girona

Alfonso
Isabella, Princess Consort of Aragon
-Alfonso, duke of Girona b. 1470 d. 1498
-Isabella of Aragon b. 1478
-Juana of Aragon b. 1479
-Maria b. 1482
-Beatriz b. 1482
-Catalina b. 1485

Ascenscion of Joanna I of Castile and marriage
Ascenscion of Joanna I of Castile and marriage

“Infanta Juana when she ascended as the Queen of Castile as Joanna I on 1480, she would be to enforce the laws of Castile and fix her father’s problem in his rule that he has not fixed when he was the King, since she is betrothed to her cousin, Alfonso, she asked her future mother in law and aunt help in reforming the Kingdom in which new policy would lean more into justice rather than the lax policies of her own father, Joanna of Castile would have time to fix her father’s issue as her future husband would be yet to arrive until he was ready to marry her in 1483, when he turned thirteen years old.

She would be known to be kind and also just like her husband, Alfonso, when she married Alfonso, duke of Girona, her husband would affect the policies of Joanna as her husband is like his mother who is also strict in laws and promoting justice in the Kingdom of Aragon, he would closely follow his mother’s ideals which would cause some fights between the couple in the beginning of their marriage.

Joanna I of Castile would give birth to following children, Maria (June 29, 1484), Catalina(December 10, 1486) , Juan (June 30, 1490), Juana (November 6, 1494), sired by her husband, Alfonso, duke of Girona.”

Last edited:
A broken betrothal shifts everything
A broken betrothal shifts everything

“In order to gain an alliance with Austria and a guarantee of a crown, Charles the Bold would abandon his alliance with Louis XII and betroth his son with Kunigunde of Austria in 1478, ending the betrothal with Anne of France who would now be married off to the Duke of Savoy, Philibert II, granting him a strong alliance that would be broken off and another was betrothing his son Charles to Elizabeth of York, a betrothal that would be broken later on.”

Louis XI by Adolphe Loret c. 1980 AD

“Due to the betrothal of Kunigunde and her marriage to the heir and ruler of the Burgundian which result the break of her betrothal to the future heir of Polish throne to the Austrians, they needed to look for a new bride in Bianca Maria Sforza as suggested by his brother, Vladislaus, who is now married to Beatrice of Naples and the Habsburgs, Bianca Maria Sforza is married of to Jan I Olbracht on 1488 after his brother who supposed to marry her retired to a monastery and died, although the alliance would still be granted as Sophia Jagiellon would marry the then Archduke Maximilian.

Bianca Maria Sforza was useful in the Polish affairs to Silesia as they were able to gain more alliance with the Silesian dukes and she is a great factor in the reason why the duchy of Opole would be sold to Poland in 1515 by Jan II of Opole and Glogow would end up being a permanent part of Poland since her term as queen and why the Duchy of Cieszyn would fall to Poland in 1600 long after her death, she would give birth to three surviving children, Elizabeth of Poland b. 1492, Wladyslaw b. 1500 and Olbracht b. 1506.“

Jan I Olbracht by Bernard Matejko c. 1999 AD

Last edited:
The two Queens with hardships
The two Queens with hardships

“On the King learning that neither a Spanish or French marriage would happen to his daughter Elizabeth, he would begin negotiating a betrothal between Alfonso, Prince of Naples and Mary of York and Mary embarked on 1482, by 1483, Mary of York would come to Naples taking the italian name of Maria di York, the beloved queen of Naples, she would arrive before her brothers would die in a tower and Henry VII took the throne on 1485 and married Elizabeth of York, she would give birth to three children, Ferdinand, duke of Calabria b. 1488, Julia of Aragon b. 1492 and Elizabeth of Aragon b. 1500.”
Maria di York by Aimone di Tedesco c. 2000 AD

”The wedding of Catherine of Navarre to John Albret took place at the Notre Dâme Cathedral of Lescar in 1486, but the coronation of the young couple in Pamplona was deferred until 1494, after a fleeting peace treaty with Louis of Beaumont, Count of Lerín, and Catherine's granduncle, King Ferdinand II of Aragon, was signed. However, the marriage did not garner the sympathy of the Navarrese Beaumont party, Catherine's mother Magdalena died in 1495, who carried her granddaughter Madeleine b. 1494 with her as a hostage and betrothed to John the Grandson of the Catholic monarchs.”
Catalina de Navarra by Adolphe Loret c. 1984 AD

Last edited:
Breton succession
Breton succession

“Margaret of Foix was the daughter of Queen Eleanor of Navarre (1425–1479) and of Gaston IV, Count of Foix (1425–1472).

On 27 June 1474, at the Château de Clisson, she married Francis II, Duke of Brittany (1435–1488), son of Richard of Brittany, Count of Étampes (1395–1438), and Margaret of Orléans, Countess of Vertus (1406–1466). It was Francis's second marriage, his first wife, Margaret of Brittany, having died in 1469, she would provide three children to her husband namely, Anne of Brittany, Princess of Orange b. 1477, Isabeau of Brittany b.d. 1478 and John, duke of Montfort b. 1482.

Margaret of Foix died at the Château de Nantes in Nantes and was buried in the Cathedral of St. Peter and St. Paul (French: Cathédrale Saint-Pierre-et-Saint-Paul) beside her husband and Margaret of Brittany, in a magnificent tomb named the Tomb of Francis II, a tomb constructed in the early French Renaissance style.”

Chronicles of the Dukes of Brittany by Adolphe Loret c. 2000 AD

Last edited:
A treaty of so-called peace

“On 1493, a peace was signed between the Catholic Monarchs and Charles VIII regarding the territory Roussillon taken by his own father Louis XI, Joanna of Aragon would take the counties of Conflent and Rousillon with her and the county of Cerdagne would be returned to Aragon, the marriage would had benefited both the parties as peace would happen to the both countries.

Joanna of Aragon would give birth to three surviving children named Charles Orland b. 1494 ,Anna of France b. 1496 and Louis b. 1505 before her husband, Charles VIII would die on 1506, where in Joanna would descend into madness most of her life with her role reduced by Louis II of Orleans who entered into the regency.”

Louis XI by Adolphe Loret c. 1980 AD

Last edited:
Children of John II of Castile and Children of Louis XI

Henry IV of Castile

-Juana I of Castile b. 1462 m. Alfonso, duke of Girona

Alfonso

Isabella, Princess Consort of Aragon

-Alfonso, duke of Girona b. 1470 d. 1498

-Isabella of Aragon b. 1478 m. Alfonso VI of Portugal

-Juana of Aragon b. 1479 m. Charles VIII

-Maria b. 1482

-Beatriz b. 1482

-Catalina b. 1485

Children of Louis XI

Anne, duchess of Savoy m. Philibert I of Savoy

-Charles III of Savoy b. 1483

-Maria of Savoy b. 1490

Joanna m. div 1500 Louis II, duke of Orleans

Charles VIII m. Juana of Aragon

The Angevin matches
The Angevin matches

“Queen Joanna I of Castile and her father in law King Ferdinand II of Aragon would agree to betroth Duke Rene II of Anjou and her eldest daughter Infanta Maria of Castile in order for peace between the claimants of Aragon, the marriage would happen in 1499 as arranged by them.”

“After the death of Sophia Jagiellonica on 1486 after being pregnant many times and giving birth two surviving children, Eleanor of Austria(1480) and Archduke Frederick(1483), she died due to being worn after giving birth to many children, after Archduke would remarry to Margaret of Anjou, the daughter of Mary of Burgundy and Nicholas of Anjou on 1489, she would give birth to Archduchess Maria(1490) and Archduke Maximilian(1496)”

Philip IV of Burgundy by Marie Jenner c. 2005 AD

Last edited: