High in Erin Sang the Sword: An Alternate History of Medieval Ireland

Njal's Saga
Chapter 155
“Of Signs and Wonders”

It so happened one night that a great din passed over Brodir and his men, so that they all woke, and sprang up and put on their clothes.

Along with that came a shower of gold.

Then they held out their helmets, and they were filled with the gold from the sky.

This wonder lasted all till day.

Then they slept during the day, but the second night there was again a din, and again they all sprang up. Then great fish began to leap from the sea, and pile themselves into the ship by the hundreds.

The fish came in such multitudes that they were forced to throw many back into the sea to prevent a sinking.

This wonder lasted all till day.

Then they slept again the day after.

But the third night there was a din of the same kind, and then eagles and ravens landed on board the ship and made loud raucous calls.

The birds called so loud that it seemed at times like the earth itself would soon rent at the noise, and so this went on again till day.

Then they went to sleep first of all, but when Brodir woke up, he drew his breath painfully, and bade them put off the boat. “For,” he said, “I will go to see Ospak.”

Then he got into the boat and some men with him, but when he found Ospak he told him of the wonders which had befallen them, and bade him say what he thought they boded.

Ospak readily opened his mouth and responded to Brodir:

“When gold rained on you, therefore shall the wealth of many men come to your possesion. But when ye heard a great din, then ye must have been shown the crack of doom, and many shall all die speedily. But when fish leaped in the boat, that must preclude the bending knees of many mighty Lords; and when the birds called about you, that marks you as the chosen to become a Great Leader of a large throng.”

Then Brodir was so pleased he could not answer a word, but he at once removed a gold chain he wore on his neck and placed it on Ospak's neck. He then ordered his men to cook the fish that had landed in his boat, and made great promises of wealth and power to Ospak.

And Ospak was pleased, and vowed to follow his brother and the faith of Odin and Thor till his death-day [1].

Then the brothers made plans to sail to Dublin to take battle with King Brian.

Njal's Saga
Chapter 156
"Brian's Battle"

b8e0238415310905e67650f02457e1a1.image.311x400.jpg

Earl Sigurd Hlodver's son busked him from the Orkneys, and Flosi offered to go with him.

The Earl would not have that, since he had his pilgrimage to fulfill.

Flosi offered fifteen men of his band to go on the voyage, and the Earl accepted them, but Flosi fared with Earl Gilli to the Southern Isles.

Thorstein, the Son of Hall of the Side, went along with Earl Sigurd, and Hrafn the Red, and Erling of Straumey.

He would not that Hareck should go, but said he would be sure to be the first to tell him the tidings of his voyage.

The Earl came with all his host on Palm Sunday to Dublin, and there too was come Brodir and Ospak with all their host.

Brodir tried by sorcery how the fight would go, but the answer ran thus, that if the fight were on Good Friday, King Brian would fall and Brodir would win the day; but if they fought before, they would all fall who were against him.

Then Brodir said they must not fight before Friday.

On the fifth day of the week a man rode up to Kormlada and her company on an apple-grey horse, and in his hand he held a halberd; he talked long with them.

King Brian came with all his host to the Burg, and on the Friday the host fared out of the Burg, and both armies were drawn up in array.

Brodir and Ospak were on one wing of the battle, and King Sigtrygg on the other.

Earl Sigurd was in the mid battle.

Now it must be told of King Brian that he would not fight on the fast-day, and so a earthen wall was thrown round him, and his host was drawn up in array in front of it.

Ulf the Quarrelsome was on that wing of the battle against with Brodir and Ospak stood; but on the other wing, where Sigtrygg stood against them, was Cuduilgh, brother of King Brian.

But in the mid battle was Kerthialfad, foster-son of King Brian, and before him the banners were borne.

Now the wings fell on one another, and there was a very hard fight, Brodir went through the host of the foe, and felled all the foremost that stood there, but no steel would bite on his mail.

Ulf the Quarrelsome turned then to meet him, and thrust so hard that Brodir fell before him at each thrust, and was well-nigh not getting on his feet again; but then Ospak swung his ax through the leg of Ulf, cutting it at the knee, and then Brodir, finding his feet, hit Ulf in the shoulder with his sword, and thus died Ulf the Quarrelsome.

Earl Sigurd had a hard battle against Kerthialfad, and Kerthialfad came on so fast that he laid low all who were in the front rank, and he broke the array of Earl Sigurd right up to his banner, and slew the banner-bearer.

Then he got another man to bear the banner, and there was again a hard fight.

Kerthialfad smote this man too his death blow at once, and son one after the other all who stood near him.

Then Earl Sigurd called on Thorstein, the son of Hall the Side, to bear the banner, and Thorstein was just about to lift the banner, but then Asmund the White said-

“Don't bear the banner! For all they who bear it get their death.”

At that moment, Kerthialfad, seeking to spur his men on, grabbed the banner to insult the Earl; but Sigurd smote him with his spear, and thus fell Kerthialfad. [2]

A little while after Asmund the white was slain, and the Earl fell before the sword.

Cuduilgh had gone through all the battle on his wings, he had been sore wounded, and lost his son, before being forced back by King Sigtrygg.

Then flight broke out throughout all the Irish host.

Now Brodir saw that King Brian's men were fleeing away, and that there were few men by the earthworks.

Then he rushed out of the wood, and broke through the earthen wall, and hewed at the king.

The lad Takt threw his arm in the way, and the stroke took it off and the King's head too, but the King's blood came on the lad's stump, and the stump was healed by it on the spot.

Then Brodir called out with a loud voice-

“Now let man tell man that Brodir felled Brian!” And straightway, Brodir picked up the crown of King Brian off his head and placed it on his own.

At that moment in Swinefell, in Iceland, blood came on the priest's stole on Good Friday so that he had to put it off.

At Thvattwater the priest thought he saw on Good Friday a long deep of the sea hard by the altar, and there he saw many awful sights, and it was long ere he could sing the prayers.

Earl Gilli in the Southern Isles dreamed that a man came to him and said his name was Hostfinn, and told him he was come from Ireland.

The Earl thought he asked him for tidings thence, and he sang this song-

“I have been where warriors wrestled,
High in Erin sang the sword,
Boss to boss met many bucklers.
Steel rung sharp on rattling helm;
I can tell of all their struggle;
Sigurd fell in flight of swords;
Brian fell, and lost his kingdom
Ere he lost one drop of blood.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
[1]- Here is the P.O.D.; in OTL the omens were bad, and Ospak, being an interpreter of omens, got scared and ran with his men to fight for King Brian.
[2]- In OTL, Earl Sigurd said "It goes to the beggar to bear the bag" and picks up the banner, only to be killed by Kerthialfad. I reversed that here.

Last edited:

Delvestius

Banned
"Don't bear the banner!" If I could write music, I'd totally make a metal song of that. Righteous work my man, I hope they get the Hebrides, Orkney and Shetland too :D

"Don't bear the banner!" If I could write music, I'd totally make a metal song of that. Rightoeous work my man, I hope they get the Hebrides, Orkney and Shetland too :D

Don't Sagas just lend themselves to raucous guitars and screaming lyrics? And thanks; you'll have to see on those other three lands...

The Annals of Loch Cé
1014, Entry 3

The supreme king, son of Cenneidigh, and
Conaing, son of Donncuan, were behind the battalions,
pleading with the Lord to change the battle's course , when
vehement,boastful, Brodir charged from the battle,
sowing death, until he came to the place where the king
was. As soon as Brodir perceived the king
unguarded, he unsheathed his sword, and beheaded
the supreme king of Erinn, and he beheaded Conaing likewise;
and he took the crown and garments of Brian as spoil of the
fight.

Maelmuire, son of Eochaidh, the comarb of Patrick,
came, truly, with seniors and relics to Sord-Choluim-Chille,
and bore from thence the bodies of Brian and his
son Murchadh, and the head of Conaing, and the head of
Mothla, which he buried at Ard-Macha, in a new grave.
Two nights, moreover, was he, with the congregation of Patrick,
waking the boides, propter honorem regis positi.

The Annals of Loch Cé
1014, Entry 6

Cathal, son of Domhnall, King of Uí-Echach, was slain by
Donnchad, son of Brian.

The Annals of Ulster
1014, Entry 7

A defeat was inflicted by Donnchad son of Brian on
Tadc son of Brian. [1]

The Annals of Ulster
1014, Entry 8

Ua Mail Doraid and Ua Ruairc led an army into Mag Ai,
and were defeated by Donnchad son of Brian and Domnall
son of Cathal.

The Annals of Ulster
1015, Entry 1

Donnchad son of Brian defeated a
raid of foreigners on the coast and slew many.

The Annals of Ulster
1015, Entry 3

The foreigner Brodir defeated the Kings of Leinster,
and made them bend the knee to Dublin.

The Annals of Ulster
1015, Entry 4

The actions of the foreigner Brodir alarmed the
Kings, and they desired to declare a new High King.
But, two men were determined to have equal claim-
Donnchad son of Brian, supported by the Southern
Kings, and Mael Sechnail mac Domnail, the son of
Domnall Donn mac Donnchada, who was once High King,
supported by Flaithbertach Ua Neill and the Kings in the
North.

The Annals of Ulster
1015, Entry 5

The Kings were divided, and could not make a decision, and thus
did Donnchad son of Brian declare himself to be High King,
as did Mael Sechnail mac Domnail. Their supporters readied
for war with each other and with the foreigner Brodir. Thus began
the War of the Three Kings.

[1]- Tadc and Donnchad had a fight to see who would be Brian's successor; in OTL, Tadc won a similar fight, but here Donnchad is victorious

Last edited:
The Saga of Brodir
Chapter 15
“The Battle of Drumconra”

Then High King Brodir did sally forth from Dublin, with a troop of men at his side, and did meet with the King of Leinster, Mael Morda, his vassal. And Mael Morda didst arrive at the meeting with his men, and there they discussed their strategy to win the island for Brodir.

As the discussed, a rider came from Hylmrekr [1], requesting aid, for Donnchad, son of dead Brian, was besieging the city to further his unrighteous claim to the throne. Brodir had made up his mind to sally forth and drive the Irish of Donnchad from the walls of Hylmrekr when another rider rode up, and told Brodir that more enemies were coming, with King Mael of the North [2] at their head, marching towards Dublin town.

Brodir talked with Ospak, his brother, at length of what their next action should be, and which one was the greater threat to their power. Ospak thought for a moment, and then responded;

“Donnchad is but a boy, and will not take Hylmrekr as long as Sigmund Iron-Breaker remains in the city. King Mael of the North is a man, and will bring his hammer to the center of Dublin unless he is stopped.” This seemed like good advice to Brodir, so the mighty host marched North to set themselves against King Mael.

They engaged King Mael of the North in Meath, near the town of Drumconra. The lines were arranged in this manner; Brodir commanded the center of the line, Ospak on his right, and Mael Morda, King of Leinster, on his left. The line of Brodir was so long that it overlapped King Mael of the North's by a league [3] on either side.

Seeing this, the Irish of the North did quake and almost fled; but King Mael of the North marched to their head, and he led the advance against the shield wall of Brodir. The battle was joined, and many mighty men of both sides were hewn down.

Brodir found himself facing King Mael of the North, and smote him on the face; but King Mael did not fall, and swung his hammer into Brodir's armor, knocking him down. The Irish King would have finished off Brodir then and there but had the flow of battle pushed him back.

As the battle went on, King Mael of the North's wounds became worse, and he realized he would not be able to triumph against Brodir. He ordered his men to fall back, and the men of Brodir pursued them until night came.

King Mael of the North lost his eye due to Brodir's slashing blow, and from then on was referred to by his foes as King Mael One-Eye. Brodir spent two days recovering from the swing of King Mael's hammer, allowing the Irish King time to escape back to his strongholds.

The Saga of Brodir
Chapter 16
“The Fall of Hylmrekr”

In the West at this same time, Donnchad arrived with a mighty host of men to besiege the Hylmrekr. His men swarmed against the walls of the city every day; and each day, Sigmund Iron-Breaker, a mighty man, killed fifty of the Irish host.

Donnchad, fearing Sigmund, changed his tactics; he ordered a mighty ram to be made, which was brought up against the gate of the town. The commander of the town, Hroki Thorvaldsson, feared this ram, for it was as long as a ship and capped with fine steel.

Hroki Thorvaldsson, the night before the ram was to approach the gate, ordered Sigmund Iron-Breaker to sally forth into the enemy camp under cover of darkness and destroy the ram. Sigmund agreed, and approached the camp as silently as he could, both of them not knowing the prophecy of Ospak.

While he neared the ram, he saw a beautiful young woman saying her prayers before a small shrine. She was the sister of Donnchad, a God-fearing girl named Aofie. He was so awestruck by this creature that when he was still sitting there when she stood up and turned around.

Aofie at was frightened by the sight of Sigmund, and she screamed. Immediately, Donnchad came from his tent and, spying Sigmund, threw his javelin through the warrior's neck, killing him.

The next day, the ram was brought up against the gate, and with three mighty swings, the town was open to the Irish. Hroki Thorvaldsson organized a desperate defense, long enough for many men, women, and children to escape the Irish by sea, before he fell before the sword of Donnchad.

Thus it was that Ospak's words were fulfilled, and Donnchad, son of dead Brian, took control of Hylmrekr. When Brodir heard of this, he was angered greatly.

[1]- Hylmrekr is the Viking term for the town of Limerick.
[2]- Due to much of King Mael's support coming from the Northern Part of the Island, in the first weeks of the war he was referred to by all sides as King Mael of the North.
[3]- Probably an exaggeration on the part of the author; it is true, though that Brodir's forces outnumbered King Mael at Drumconra.

Last edited:

Faeelin

Banned
I wouldn't be afraid if I was Donnchad; he is in a pretty good position. Mael One-Eyed is the one who is most threatened by Brodir.

What do you think of the TL so far?

This is really great, both historically and narratively. I've been reading some Icelandic sagas lately, and this has the definite feel of them.

The Annals of Ulster
1015, Entry 9

King Flaithbertach marched south into territory
loyal to Donnchad, son of Brian, and burned
northern Connacht. Donnchad moved north to face
Flaithbertach.

The Annals of Ulster
1015, Entry 10

Mael One-Eyed, recovered from his wounds,
Strengthened his hand in the south of his loyal realm
for fear that the foreigners might strike north,
building the hill forts Aleanbh and Isibeal
in Meath.

The Annals of Ulster
1015, Entry 11

The foreigners, angry at their defeat at Limerick,
sent a mighty raid, commanded by Ospak,
brother of Brodir the Pretender [1],
which landed along the coast of Munster,
burning many towns and taking much wealth.

The Annals of Ulster
1015, Entry 12

Domnall, son of Cathal, a noted
supporter of Donnchad, met Ospak the Seer [2]
on the coast near the foreigner stronghold of
Cork, and there they fought a brief skirmish. Ospak,
seeing the day was with Domnall, sounded the horn
and the foreigners retreated to their boats, capturing
no plunder that day.

The Annals of Ulster
1015, Entry 13

Donnchad, son of Brian, met King Flaithbertach
near the banks of Loch Aillionn and there a
great battle was joined. Donnchad was wounded in the
arm by an ax, but King Flaithbertach was forced
to retreat after his son Aed, who was in command
of his center, was stabbed and fell into the Loch.

The Annals of Ulster
1015, Entry 14

Winter descended upon Ireland as
King Mael One-Eyed finished his fortresses,
and as Donnchad crossed the border into
Breifne, a realm loyal to King Mael. Brodir
the Pretender seized several towns in Munster
and Meath before setting up his camp, near the
foreigner town of Waterford. During the winter, many
foreigners, at the request of Brodir, would come
to Erin, landing in the foreigners towns and pledging
themselves to Brodir.

[1]- Irish chronicles tend to refer to Brodir as "the Pretender", while giving the Irish claimants much nicer treatments.
[2]- News of Ospak's apparent ability to see the future has come around by this point.

This is really great, both historically and narratively. I've been reading some Icelandic sagas lately, and this has the definite feel of them.

Ah, thank you! I tried to match their style with the fictional "Brodir's Saga". How do you think the Irish portions are?

Faeelin

Banned
Ah, thank you! I tried to match their style with the fictional "Brodir's Saga". How do you think the Irish portions are?

I don't like the Irish, so I care less :p.

They seem fine, although one question:

"waking the boides, propter honorem regis positi."

Would the amanuscripts have been written in Latin or Gaelic? If the former, why not translate all of it?

Love the feel of this, but I don't know enough of the period to know when the 'alternate' history is happening and when it's OTL. Could you do some footnotes to highlight?

Faeelin

Banned
Love the feel of this, but I don't know enough of the period to know when the 'alternate' history is happening and when it's OTL. Could you do some footnotes to highlight?

If I'm right, in OTL Brian Boru won the battle. Here his ass is grass.

I don't like the Irish, so I care less :p.

They seem fine, although one question:

"waking the boides, propter honorem regis positi."

Would the amanuscripts have been written in Latin or Gaelic? If the former, why not translate all of it?

They were written in Latin and Gaelic. The last bit is more formal, as it mentions the dead king and his honor. I could translate it, but the translated versions usually keep the Latin as Latin.

actaeon said:

Sure, I'll include those in the first posts.

If I'm right, in OTL Brian Boru won the battle. Here his ass is grass.

Correct! And his son did alot better in the year following his death, giving him a stronger claim for the High Kingship. And the omens before the battle were good for the Norsemen, instead of burning blood, phantom swords, and razor-beaked ravens.

Brodir's Saga
Chapter 18
“The Assault of Aleanbh”

When spring came, Brodir had strengthened his mighty host with several bands of worthy warriors, Dane and Icelander and Norwegian. He ordered his brother, Ospak, to take a strong fleet and land North of Dublin, and take the fortresses of King Mael One-Eyed.

Ospak agreed to do this, and set sail with 45 ships to take the hill forts of King Mael. They landed North of Dublin, and marched on the hill fort that the Irish had named “Aleanbh”.

They arrived at Aleanbh when a great celebration was taking place. The daughter of King Mael, whose name was Aleanbh (this fort being her namesake) was visiting the garrison there. The garrison was pleased to have a beautiful and vibrant girl visit them, and did not notice Ospak's men until they were nearly upon the fort.

The call came up that Ospak's men were approaching, and the Irish quickly grabbed their weapons and prepared to fight. With a shout, Ospak and his men rushed the fort as the Irish were closing the gate, and were able to batter their way in, losing many men. Then the battle was joined in the courtyard; men hacked, slashed, and beat with weapons and fists.

The Irish gave no ground, but Ospak's men were stronger and more numerous, and by midnight, the fort belonged to the Norsemen.

A band of warriors brought up Aleanbh and her ladies to Ospak, and asked to know what he wanted to do with them. Ospak considered for a minute.

“Take the women back to Dublin, but leave Aleanbh for me.” The men did so, and Ospak lay with Aleanbh, daughter of King Mael One-Eyed [1].

Brodir's Saga
Chapter 19
“The Battle of Youghal”

Brodir was pleased with the news of his brother's victory, but could not long dwell on this triumph. He had a campaign planned to drive the Irish away, and establish a connection to Cork, the furthest of the Norse lands in Ireland.

Leading the men west, he encountered no Irish resistance until they reached the yew woods near Youghal. There, they met Domnall, a loyal supporter of Donnchad, son of dead Brian. Domnall stood at the head of a great and proud host, all arrayed in battle line, with their banners flying.

Brodir and his troops formed their own battle line and advanced against their Irish foe. The battle was joined as the two lines clashed.

Brodir and Domnall saw each other over the tops of their troops heads, as they were both very tall men, and tried to make their way towards each other, but their men swarmed around them, preventing them from meeting in combat.

Domnall, seeing his men were being pushed back, ordered his troops to retreat across the Blackwater River. The Irish rushed through the woods, with Brodir's men close at their heels, until they managed to get across the river and destroy the bridges behind them.

The Irish proceeded to hail the Norsemen with many rocks, javelins, and other weapons from across the bank. Brodir decided it was best to pull back out of range and gather their own javelins, as the Norse had used their javelins during the battle, and they were now scattered throughout the woods.

By the time the Norse returned to the river, Domnall had retreated away from the banks. It took two days to get bridges built, and another three before the Norse crossed the river and continued their advance.

Before they could reach Cork, they espied a great fleet sailing along the coast, bearing the banners of the Cork Norse. They hailed the fleet, and discovered that days after the Norse drove him away from Youghal, Domnall had assaulted Cork with such a great force that they were forced to flee [2]. Brodir, cursing, ordered the fleet to sail back to Cork with his men and take back the city. The fleet agreed, and allowed Brodir and his troops to board.

But as Brodir and the fleet approached Cork, their way was clouded by a thick fog. They were unable to go any further without risking their lives on the rocks, and so Brodir gave up Cork for the moment and ordered the fleet to pull back to Waterford.

[1]- To the victor go the... well, spoils.
[2]- And here Brodir learns the difference between a tactical victory and a strategic victory.

Last edited: