Hensonverse Speculation and Commentary

Since @Geekhis Khan’s A Hippie in the House of Mouse and Book II, When You wish upon a Frog, plus the Guest Post thread came out us fans have speculated and commented on the Hensonverse story to the point where it slightly details the thread(s), thus encouraged by the author themselves to prevent such problems, I am declaring this Hensonverse Speculation and Commentary thread open!

Statler+and+Waldorf+Web.jpg

Last edited:
While I appreciate the Haunted Pirate Ship being included in DisneySea that wasn’t my original idea. My original idea was an attraction based around a haunted ocean liner, playing off of the Queen Mary’s reputation as being haunted. I’m thinking that when the Oriental Land Company request their own DisneySea my original concept could be included as a ride.

While I appreciate the Haunted Pirate Ship being included in DisneySea that wasn’t my original idea. My original idea was an attraction based around a haunted ocean liner, playing off of the Queen Mary’s reputation as being haunted. I’m thinking that when the Oriental Land Company request their own DisneySea my original concept could be included as a ride.
Is that the company who made the semi-replica Queen Mary in Japan?

So that was Geekhis's idea, then? I thought that you were the one that made up the idea for the haunted pirate ship lol.
Oh well, at least it's a thing (and it does serve as an amusing homage to Captain Hook's ship which served as a restaurant in Anaheim).

Personally, I don't see Tokyo DisneySea receiving a ride like that since the concepts for the lands are diverging heavily from its OTL counterpart, moving toward properties that are more relevant to Japanese audiences. We might not even receive an American land for Tokyo since the American Boardwalk and Pier Revue are a thing.

However, it is not the end for the haunted ocean liner concept, rest assured. The Imagineers have other plans for that idea, lol.

Is that the company who made the semi-replica Queen Mary in Japan?
They're the ones who funded and own Tokyo Disneyland. The reason why Tokyo DisneySea was so lavish while Disney built budget parks was because the OLC foot the bill.

What I'm saying is that if DisneySea is as successful as it's shaping up to be the Japanese are going to be eagerly wanting their own version of it.

So that was Geekhis's idea, then? I thought that you were the one that made up the idea for the haunted pirate ship lol.
Oh well, at least it's a thing (and it does serve as an amusing homage to Captain Hook's ship which served as a restaurant in Anaheim).

Personally, I don't see Tokyo DisneySea receiving a ride like that since the concepts for the lands are diverging heavily from its OTL counterpart, moving toward properties that are more relevant to Japanese audiences. We might not even receive an American land for Tokyo since the American Boardwalk and Pier Revue are a thing.

However, it is not the end for the haunted ocean liner concept, rest assured. The Imagineers have other plans for that idea, lol.

Don't get me wrong. I like the idea. It's just that every single time I mentioned my idea it was centered around a Haunted Mansion-style ride in an abandoned ocean liner. It was inspired by a combination of the Queen Mary's reputation and the OTL movie Ghost Ship. I even admit that doing such a ride is tricky, if impossible, with a boat actually in the water. So I had the idea of either the boat being a false structure concealing at least part of the ride building or the boat being "in drydock" to justify not having the boat at a dock.

I just thought that a nautical version of the Haunted Mansion would work well thematically. I even had the idea of including a connection to the classic ride (and to the Imagineers behind said ride) by having the Captain of the ocean liner be a "Captain Y. Gracey".

I always enjoy thinking up scary rides for these sorts of threads. Another idea I had was a ride set in an abandoned mountain lodge/hotel that played with the cold aspect of purported real-world hauntings. Like having a ghost writing a foreboding message in an unnaturally quickly frosting-over window.

What I'm saying is that if DisneySea is as successful as it's shaping up to be the Japanese are going to be eagerly wanting their own version of it.
But the Queen Mary is not part of the park proper. The experience is its own thing at Pier Revue (and serves as a hotel), so the OLC might view it separately from what makes DisneySea so successful.

When Disney could pull extremely popular IPs like Zelda, Ghibli, or the Dark Crystal, the ship suddenly becomes out of place unless Disney or the OLC are completely adamant about having it along with an American-themed land. We'll just have to see whether they'll do that for TDS.

I just thought that a nautical version of the Haunted Mansion would work well thematically. I even had the idea of including a connection to the classic ride (and to the Imagineers behind said ride) by having the Captain of the ocean liner be a "Captain Y. Gracey".
It could even work on a real cruise ship. Just saying. 😉

But the Queen Mary is not part of the park proper. The experience is its own thing at Pier Revue (and serves as a hotel), so the OLC might view it separately from what makes DisneySea so successful.

When Disney could pull extremely popular IPs like Zelda, Ghibli, or the Dark Crystal, the ship suddenly becomes out of place unless Disney or the OLC are completely adamant about having it along with an American-themed land. We'll just have to see whether they'll do that for TDS.

It could even work on a real cruise ship. Just saying. 😉
I just thought that a ride based around the ruined grandeur of an old-fashioned ocean liner would be a suitably nautical spin on the classic Haunted Mansion's aesthetic.

We shouldn't rely too much on IP. There should be some rides not built on pre-existing properties. Imagineers should flex their creative muscles. And relying too much on the audience being drawn in because of a connection to a movie or a game doesn't feel very creative.

Good point. I just like thinking up haunted house attractions.

What did you think about my haunted mountain lodge/hotel concept? If it doesn't work it could always be an attraction at Warner Bros Movie World where they can make the references to The Shining all the more blatant. I freely admit that, despite complaining about over-relying on IP, this concept was basically based on the Kubrick movie. Though the fact that it'd be more of an homage than a blatant adaptation means I'm not a complete hypocrite.

We shouldn't rely too much on IP. There should be some rides not built on pre-existing properties. Imagineers should flex their creative muscles. And relying too much on the audience being drawn in because of a connection to a movie or a game doesn't feel very creative.
For the Japanese, it makes a lot of sense. The OLC plays extremely safe when building anything in the Tokyo Disneyland property, to the point where they just simply copied the Magic Kingdom almost exactly for TDL and copied most of the ideas from OTL DisneySea for TDS.

ITTL Tokyo DisneySea won't have any carryovers nor would have an Oceana counterpart (thus removing a lot of what makes ITTL DisneySea different from other Disney parks), so it's only natural that the OLC would want IPs to fill in most of the park since they know that their popularity will bring in huge crowds for the theme park, whereas doing something completely original carries some risk.

The Imagineers can easily do something detailed and creative with IP, as we have seen in OTL, but they need money and creative freedom, something that the OLC will happily provide.

What did you think about my haunted mountain lodge/hotel concept?
It could pop up at Disney, but it's not a bad idea for WB Movie World either.

Speaking of mountain lodges, a DisneySKI in Colorado might not be a bad idea...
Don't we have a Disneytown in Denver/Colorado Springs? It could happen.

Speaking of mountain lodges, a DisneySKI in Colorado might not be a bad idea...
The last project Walt Disney had a hand in was a massive ski resort in Colorado. It was abandoned due to a combination of Walt's death and the Sierra Club going back on endorsing the project. If Henson approves of a similar project it can't be in the proposed location of Walt's ski resort since that valley was annexed into a national park in the late '70s.

For the Japanese, it makes a lot of sense. The OLC plays extremely safe when building anything in the Tokyo Disneyland property, to the point where they just simply copied the Magic Kingdom almost exactly for TDL and copied most of the ideas from OTL DisneySea for TDS.

ITTL Tokyo DisneySea won't have any carryovers nor would have an Oceana counterpart (thus removing a lot of what makes ITTL DisneySea different from other Disney parks), so it's only natural that the OLC would want IPs to fill in most of the park since they know that their popularity will bring in huge crowds for the theme park, whereas doing something completely original carries some risk.

The Imagineers can easily do something detailed and creative with IP, as we have seen in OTL, but they need money and creative freedom, something that the OLC will happily provide.

It could pop up at Disney, but it's not a bad idea for WB Movie World either.

Don't we have a Disneytown in Denver/Colorado Springs? It could happen.

I didn't say to have something completely original. Just to have a careful balance between rides based on IP, especially outside IP, and rides based on original concepts.

It would be interesting to discuss how to make the inevitable second Japanese theme park distinct from both OTL Tokyo DisneySea and TTL's DisneySea.

You can't deny that while OLC plays it safe their budget for Tokyo DisneySea was generous compared with what Imagineers had to deal with when it came to building California Adventure or Hong Kong Disneyland.

We should really put more attention on the parks built by the competition. How are Universal's parks different from OTL? How are the Warner Bros parks different from OTL? We've explored Columbia's theme park venture, so we should look into the rest of the competition.

The best part of having the haunted mountain lodge ride be merely "inspired by" The Shining is that you don't have to directly get permission from King himself. Though that'd be moot when we're talking about a ride based on a movie Warner Bros made.

I didn't say to have something completely original. Just to have a careful balance between rides based on IP, especially outside IP, and rides based on original concepts.
Tokyo DisneySea will have some originals (IPs can't fill all of the lands), but it's clear that the OLC would likely use IP to provide the lion's share of the profits for the park.

You can't deny that while OLC plays it safe their budget for Tokyo DisneySea was generous compared with what Imagineers had to deal with when it came to building California Adventure or Hong Kong Disneyland.
Well yeah, that's the point. The Imagineers made the best park in the world because they provided them with the budget to do it, despite most of the lands being carryovers from the original concept.

Ironically the OLC might cheapen out on TDS because $5 billion for a theme park is just simply absurd. It's telling for this timeline that a possible budget of $2-3 billion for ITTL TDS is considered to be "shortchanging" on a cutting-edge theme park while that amount led to OTL TDS.

OK. So I've laid out my musical and Directorial hopes for Ted Turner's Hobbit and LoTR movies, and I suspect the former will be the first to be adapted. Does anyone else have any suggestions or ideas?

The last project Walt Disney had a hand in was a massive ski resort in Colorado. It was abandoned due to a combination of Walt's death and the Sierra Club going back on endorsing the project. If Henson approves of a similar project it can't be in the proposed location of Walt's ski resort since that valley was annexed into a national park in the late '70s.
it could maybe go somewhere in Utah or Vermont instead

Might I speculate that toots and the upside down house would be a beloved hit in the skellington productions filmography