Hensonverse Speculation and Commentary

I may have just come up with a new type of entertainment...
I call it: Handimation!

Inspirations:
Not quite as original as you think:

Not quite as original as you think:
My Handimation would technically be more than just a version of Oobi. More like "Vaudeville with fingers". It could be able to do family and mature, comedy and action, all sorts of genres (not just preschool) and it would look more like this, with the whole hand functioning as the character's "body":

1663473775713.png
I also have an idea for some interesting (and comedic) origins.

Essentially a Muppet performer and an animator (who just so happen to be old friends) (both potentially TL-exclusive) meet each other in the hall, and perform a secret handshake of sorts (like the ones you see in movies and TV), one of them pulls off a "walking hands" trick, and then they think "You know, there just might be a market for this..." One thing leads to another, and Bob's your uncle, you got Handimation.

Initially, the pair's new style is used in some TV commercials, small comedy/parody sketches on TV and a few self-contained short films and music videos (perhaps inspiring the "variation" used in The Cheapest Muppet Movie Ever Made (maybe after Jim or someone else finds out about the duo's creation)), but eventually gets picked up by other studios. Sometime during all of this, the performer-animator duo could start up their own studio tailored to their new medium of entertainment, likely under the name Handimation Incorporated (thus coining the term "Handimation").

Handimation Incorporated logo.png

(in the animated logo, the hand animates like the one in the Chantier Films logo)

My idea came from not only the sources I listed (Oobi!, Thumbs, the new BBC3 idents), but also my own life. Ya see, when I'm by myself, I sometimes like to play with my own hands (not in that way, get your head outta the gutter) and act out little stories with them and my overactive imagination. :)

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Hello? Anyone out there?

My Handimation would technically be more than just a version of Oobi. More like "Vaudeville with fingers". It could be able to do family and mature, comedy and action, all sorts of genres (not just preschool) and it would look more like this, with the whole hand functioning as the character's "body":

I also have an idea for some interesting (and comedic) origins.

Essentially a Muppet performer and an animator (who just so happen to be old friends) (both potentially TL-exclusive) meet each other in the hall, and perform a secret handshake of sorts (like the ones you see in movies and TV), one of them pulls off a "walking hands" trick, and then they think "You know, there just might be a market for this..." One thing leads to another, and Bob's your uncle, you got Handimation.

Initially, the pair's new style is used in some TV commercials, small comedy/parody sketches on TV and a few self-contained short films and music videos (perhaps inspiring the "variation" used in The Cheapest Muppet Movie Ever Made (maybe after Jim or someone else finds out about the duo's creation)), but eventually gets picked up by other studios. Sometime during all of this, the performer-animator duo could start up their own studio tailored to their new medium of entertainment, likely under the name Handimation Incorporated (thus coining the term "Handimation").

View attachment 775135
(in the animated logo, the hand animates like the one in the Chantier Films logo)

My idea came from not only the sources I listed (Oobi!, Thumbs, the new BBC3 idents), but also my own life. Ya see, when I'm by myself, I sometimes like to play with my own hands (not in that way, get your head outta the gutter) and act out little stories with them and my overactive imagination. :)

Any thoughts?

Handimation sounds charming.
I know, I think it's a pretty coolbeanz idea.
Maybe more complex examples use prosthetic makeup?
I was maybe having the hand-actors have animated faces (made after filming), so the characters can be more expressive.
I also have the idea of using the Handimation medium be used for parody purposes (not unlike the Muppets, or OTL's Thumbs movies by Steve Oedekerk).
Thanks!
And of course, who can easily ignore your amazing logos?

They are THAT good!
Aw shucks...

I even made a backstory to the Handimation medium (in case you haven't read it). Check it out!
The (Rather Comedic and) Interesting Backstory of Handimation (in 3½D)

1663644097520.png

Fig 1: the basis for Handimation

Handimation Incorporated logo.png

Fig 2: the Handimation Incorporated logo

Initially, the pair's new style is used in some TV commercials, small comedy/parody sketches on TV and a few self-contained short films and music videos (perhaps inspiring the "variation" used in The Cheapest Muppet Movie Ever Made (maybe after Jim or someone else finds out about the duo's creation)), but eventually gets picked up by other studios. Sometime during all of this, the performer-animator duo could start up their own studio tailored to their new medium of entertainment, likely under the name Handimation Incorporated (thus coining the term "Handimation").​

Fig 3: Cyriak's Walks of Life, a video using a VERY loose definition of Handimation

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
I know, I think it's a pretty coolbeanz idea.

I was maybe having the hand-actors have animated faces (made after filming), so the characters can be more expressive.
I also have the idea of using the Handimation medium be used for parody purposes (not unlike the Muppets, or OTL's Thumbs movies by Steve Oedekerk).

Thanks!

Aw shucks...

I even made a backstory to the Handimation medium (in case you haven't read it). Check it out!

Any thoughts?
Yes!!

I think I have another unique animation style idea spoonimation
I wanna hear this concept!

I posted this elsewhere, but one of the other two big networks (Cartoon City most likely) adapts Legend of Galactic Heroes in order to compete with Gundam, bringing it to Western Shores

So with Jeri Ellsworth an even bigger deal ITTL I wonder someone would create a MacGyver reboot/spinoff with a female MacGyver inspired by Jeri and including Richard Dean Anderson as her father.