Henry VIII has a twin brother

VVD0D95

Banned
Well, let's say like this. Henry VII dies as otl in 1509. New and shiny Henry VIII prepares to marry Catherine and the date is set to 11 june as otl, but Henry has a riding accident in may and dies. Thus Edward is a bit paranoid of the woman who has been married/about to marry his two dead brothers. So he instead returns Catherine home to Spain to search for a new queen.

Hmm I can see that, where might Catherine marry from there? Would she or might she join a convent?

I don't think Catherine will marry again. I can see her serving as regent for Castile from 1510 and forward. Like a spanish Margaret of Austria. If Catherine is in charge she might even prevent the communeros revolt. Or she joins their side, overthrows Charles and declares infante Ferdinand king and marries him asp to Isabella of Portugal :cool: but even better if Charles drowns on the route from Flanders!

VVD0D95

Banned
I don't think Catherine will marry again. I can see her serving as regent for Castile from 1510 and forward. Like a spanish Margaret of Austria. If Catherine is in charge she might even prevent the communeros revolt. Or she joins their side, overthrows Charles and declares infante Ferdinand king and marries him asp to Isabella of Portugal :cool: but even better if Charles drowns on the route from Flanders!

Okay now that could be quite interesting. Hmm, I'm unsure if I should have Philip die or not, though the pod is early enough that even old Juan might himself not die.

As regards England, would you rather see Henry married to Catherine, or for old Henry die, and for Edward to become King before his brother has married Catherine?

If Catherine is unavailable the answer is likely Eleanor of Austria. She likely returns to Spain, but I could see Charles having her be Manuel's third wife, and actually being happy in that role serving a stepmother to Maria's children, and in the case of the younger kids (Henrique & Duarte) being their defacto mom.

As for Edward, let's give him the following kids

Edward VI (1491 - 1562) m. a) Eleanor of Austria (1498 - 1524) b) Renee of France (1510 - 1574)
  1. a) Mary (1517 - 1525)
  2. a) Edward, Prince of Wales (1519 - 1536)
  3. a) Henry IX (1520 - 1576)
  4. a) Eleanor (1524 - 1559) (*Eleanor dies in childbirth*)
  5. b) Edmund, Duke of York (1528 - 1581)
  6. b) Anne (1529 - 1530)
  7. b) Louis, Duke of Richmond (1531 - 1535)
  8. b) John, Duke of Clarence (1533 - 1549)
  9. b) William, Duke of Somerset (1534 - 1590)
  10. b) Edward (1537)
  11. b) Elizabeth (1539 - 1578)
  12. b) Charles, Duke of Richmond (1542 - 1584)

VVD0D95

Banned
If Catherine is unavailable the answer is likely Eleanor of Austria. She likely returns to Spain, but I could see Charles having her be Manuel's third wife, and actually being happy in that role serving a stepmother to Maria's children, and in the case of the younger kids (Henrique & Duarte) being their defacto mom.

As for Edward, let's give him the following kids

Edward VI (1491 - 1562) m. a) Eleanor of Austria (1498 - 1524) b) Renee of France (1510 - 1574)
  1. a) Mary (1517 - 1525)
  2. a) Edward, Prince of Wales (1519 - 1536)
  3. a) Henry IX (1520 - 1576)
  4. a) Eleanor (1524 - 1559) (*Eleanor dies in childbirth*)
  5. b) Edmund, Duke of York (1528 - 1581)
  6. b) Anne (1529 - 1530)
  7. b) Louis, Duke of Richmond (1531 - 1535)
  8. b) John, Duke of Clarence (1533 - 1549)
  9. b) William, Duke of Somerset (1534 - 1590)
  10. b) Edward (1537)
  11. b) Elizabeth (1539 - 1578)
  12. b) Charles, Duke of Richmond (1542 - 1584)

Interesting that will definitely shape some things up. Would Manuel and Catherine try for kids themselves or would Catherine be happy just being step mom?

And interesting, so we've got two children making it to adulthood from Eleanor of Austria, whilst the rest are from Renee, I imagine Renee's influence might potentially poke Edward toward looking into the reformed faith.

Interesting that will definitely shape some things up. Would Manuel and Catherine try for kids themselves or would Catherine be happy just being step mom?

And interesting, so we've got two children making it to adulthood from Eleanor of Austria, whilst the rest are from Renee, I imagine Renee's influence might potentially poke Edward toward looking into the reformed faith.

They might try, but if Catherine has her OTL fertility at least she has the consolation of helping raise her sister's children.

With regards to Renee, she definitely will have an impact on her stepkids lives (I see them marrying in 1527, so the two ultimately surviving kids are 7 and 3 at the time). I could see her casually suggesting reformed readings although that might get snuffed by her "almost a priest" husband, particularly as I could see him being very into his son's education. Nevermind Catherine, who might keep up a correspondence with the Tudors, sending them strongly worded letters on the dangers of heresy and, if Joao & Catherine of Austria has more luck fertility wise, suggesting her step-granddaughters as ideal future queens.

One thing I didn't consider, though it's possible, is depending on when he marries Edward, Prince of Wales could leave surviving issue when he dies. He's 17, so it's not a crazy proposition, and would certainly be interesting to think about.

VVD0D95

Banned
They might try, but if Catherine has her OTL fertility at least she has the consolation of helping raise her sister's children.

With regards to Renee, she definitely will have an impact on her stepkids lives (I see them marrying in 1527, so the two ultimately surviving kids are 7 and 3 at the time). I could see her casually suggesting reformed readings although that might get snuffed by her "almost a priest" husband, particularly as I could see him being very into his son's education. Nevermind Catherine, who might keep up a correspondence with the Tudors, sending them strongly worded letters on the dangers of heresy and, if Joao & Catherine of Austria has more luck fertility wise, suggesting her step-granddaughters as ideal future queens.

One thing I didn't consider, though it's possible, is depending on when he marries Edward, Prince of Wales could leave surviving issue when he dies. He's 17, so it's not a crazy proposition, and would certainly be interesting to think about.

Alright interesting, that's definitely going to have interesting consequences for Portugal for sure.

And definitely agreed there, I take it the marriage would've been arranged as part of a peace between England and France. And definitely, I can see Edward being somewhat horrified at Luther, but whilst also agreeing that some things do need to change. I imagine he'd want to geld any priest he found who'd sired children. And oh now that is a thought.

Remember, if they return Katherine of Aragon to Spain, her dowry goes with her. Which is why she ended up with Henry after Arthur, H7 wanted to keep the $$. Romantic, isn't it? And Katherine had been going to be "Queen of England" almost since birth. She'd be loathe to give that up, even if means wedding Edward.

She was very attractive at that time, do not forget that. That's how E4 ended up with his Woodville bride, she was very attractive and didn't put out - no ringee, no flingee.

VVD0D95

Banned
Remember, if they return Katherine of Aragon to Spain, her dowry goes with her. Which is why she ended up with Henry after Arthur, H7 wanted to keep the $$. Romantic, isn't it? And Katherine had been going to be "Queen of England" almost since birth. She'd be loathe to give that up, even if means wedding Edward.

She was very attractive at that time, do not forget that. That's how E4 ended up with his Woodville bride, she was very attractive and didn't put out - no ringee, no flingee.

This is very true. And I imagine as well that Henry VII is going to be loathe to return her dowry as you say. I imagine any concerns that he might have will pushed away at the thought of that.

Are we talking identical or fraternal, cause that changes things quite a bit. They would still develop different personalities due to growing up differently (one is the heir, the other is either going to be a Bishop or married to the daughter of someone powerful depending on... stuff)

VVD0D95

Banned
Are we talking identical or fraternal, cause that changes things quite a bit. They would still develop different personalities due to growing up differently (one is the heir, the other is either going to be a Bishop or married to the daughter of someone powerful depending on... stuff)

I mean identical would be hilarious, but fraternal seems more likely no?

Desmirelle, Katherine and her dowry stopped to be attractive some time after her mother’s death, plus the whole dowry was never paid and little remained of it at Henry VII’s death...
The only reason for which Henry married Catherine was who he was in love with her (plus she was there and ready for babymaking)... Eleanor of Austria (aka Henry’s official fiancé) is a better prospect under any point excluding age so if Edward (like his father) do not fear so much the risk of the Stewarts inheriting England he will marry Eleanor.

A Katherine sent back in Spain is one of the two biggest candidate for marrying Manuel after Maria’s death and the most logical one (the other would be the more risking Queen Dowager Germaine)

Aha. That might require Philip having a third son, to inherit the Empire.
Well, Maximilian can also have a son by Bianca Maria (who will marry Anne of Bohemia and Hungary)
But with Catherine back in Spain you can have easily a Ferdinand as King of Spain and married soon to Isabella of Portugal (with many kids and a secured succession) with Charles still alive and ruling Flanders and Austria.
I can not see Charles marrying Anne Jagellon so she will likely marry Zapolya after Maximilian’s death (and after Louis’ death I see Hungary to Zapolya and maybe to Polish Jagellons after that and Bohemia to Charles)...

A Spain/Austria split of this kind will strongly influences matches there so Juana’s kids will be married slightly different than OTL...
Charles, HRE, Archduke of Austria and Duke of Burgundy: Mary Tudor the Elder or a French royal princess most likely, Anna Jagellon more unlikely
Eleanor of Austria: Edward VI of England
Isabella of Austria: Christian II of Denmark
Mary of Austria: Louis II of Hungary

Ferdinand VI of Spain: Isabella of Portugal quickly
Catalina of Spain: João III of Portugal

Manuel I of Portugal (as third wife): Catalina of Aragon or Germaine of Foix

Does the brother have a son?

If so and given Henry's obsession with having a male heir, might he name his brother's son(s) as next in line after his own, skipping over the daughters entirely? This could lead to adoption of the Salic Law in England.

I think Catherine of Aragon will marry into Savoy if she is returned..
For what reason Ferdinand would marry his daughter there? Charles II of Savoy right now is allied with France and likely not interested in an old Infanta of Aragon.

Last edited:
Catherine might not even want to marry. I think Ferdinand would find her more useful as regent in Castile and the guardian of Infante Ferdinand.