Henry VIII dies in 1527

VVD0D95

Banned
The year is 1527, Henry VIII has convinced himself that his marriage to Catherine was blighted in the eyes of God, due to Catherine being his brother's widow. He has started considering his options of freeing himself of Catherine. However, Henry's view that this should be relatively easy is challenged by the Sack of Rome and the Pope becoming the Emperor's hostage. Catherine remains insistent that she is Henry's rightful wife and that her marriage to Arthur was unconsummated. The Pope is not willing to budge on the matter, fearing what might occur if he does grant Henry his desire. Everything looks set for a dramatic showdown, when on the morning of 4th August, 1527, servants enter King Henry's bedchamber to find the King unresponsive. Doctors are summoned and they rule that the King is dead. Nobody is sure how he died, but there it is.

What happens next?

My thinking is that Mary is proclaimed Queen, under a regency, whilst people try and figure out who killed Henry. Some might point the finger at Catherine, or at the Catholics at court such as Wolsey or Moore. Others might point the finger at the Protestants.

@FalconHonour @Kellan Sullivan @isabella @The_Most_Happy @The Professor @Jonathan @ordinarylittleme @Tudorfan @Tyler96 @HortenseMancini

Last edited:
Mary would become Queen and would marry James V of Scotland, as Charles V would push for that match, being already married to Isabella of Portugal and quite unwilling to gift England to one of his brothers-in-law, specially when a wedding between Mary and James V would firmly distance the Scottish King from France

VVD0D95

Banned
Mary would become Queen and would marry James V of Scotland, as Charles V would push for that match, being already married to Isabella of Portugal and quite unwilling to gift England to one of his brothers-in-law, specially when a wedding between Mary and James V would firmly distance the Scottish King from France
Agreed, I imagine James and mary would marry when mary turns fourteen and this is of age?

also imagine Anne Boleyn gets married to her butler cousin perhaps?

Katherine could be accused, but if no proof is there, she can fall back on her reputation as his loyal and devoted wife, now widow. She's also beloved by her people which will help. Mary is obviously becoming queen. She could perhaps marry the dauphin of France, since her OTL husband would only be born in 1527, or John III of Portugal, perhaps Duarte the son of her aunt Maria of Aragon, Frederick III Elector Palatinate...Anne Boleyn gets to become Mrs Henry Percy

Agreed, I imagine James and mary would marry when mary turns fourteen and this is of age?

also imagine Anne Boleyn gets married to her butler cousin perhaps?
The Butler match was already long failed, more likely she would be able to marry Percy (his wedding to Mary Talbot was already failing and a pre-contract between her husband and Anne would be a good way for Mary to get an annulment) or someone else

The Butler match was already long failed, more likely she would be able to marry Percy (his wedding to Mary Talbot was already failing and a pre-contract between her husband and Anne would be a good way for Mary to get an annulment) or someone else
That. Henry Percy would likely be much happier, he now gets to be with the woman he truly loved, Anne would keep her head on her neck at least.

Katherine could be accused, but if no proof is there, she can fall back on her reputation as his loyal and devoted wife, now widow. She's also beloved by her people which will help. Mary is obviously becoming queen. She could perhaps marry the dauphin of France, since her OTL husband would only be born in 1527, or John III of Portugal, perhaps Duarte the son of her aunt Maria of Aragon, Frederick III Elector Palatinate...Anne Boleyn gets to become Mrs Henry Percy
Excluding the fact who none of the candidates you suggest would be well seen by the English as they were all rulers (excluding Duarte, but Portugal would offer more likely Beja) Catherine would NEVER accept a French husband (either the Dauphin or the Duke d’Orleans) for her daughter. Beja is a candidate but Charles V would favor a match with James V and is likely who also the English would like that option more than anyone else

VVD0D95

Banned
Hmm agreed, I think initial suspicion might be on Katherine (led by Wolsey perhaps?) but eventually, that'll fall by the wayside, and she'd be able to move out. I think Duarte might be the more likely choice, France will be a no-no, whilst John I think is perhaps a bit too old for her. There's also James V of Scotland as well, which would tie up the Union nicely.

Percy could work, especially if as you say the pre-contract issue comes out.
Yep, Mary as Queen.
A betrothal to James seems reasonable. France is now a nono and noone imperial seems likely.
Quality.

Hmm agreed, I think initial suspicion might be on Katherine (led by Wolsey perhaps?) but eventually, that'll fall by the wayside, and she'd be able to move out. I think Duarte might be the more likely choice, France will be a no-no, whilst John I think is perhaps a bit too old for her. There's also James V of Scotland as well, which would tie up the Union nicely.
John III is married by the way

Mary Talbot was already close at the point of wanting break free from her wedding and the pre-contract would become usable once Henry VIII died so she can be easily tempted to go for that road and Anne would be glad to such outcome

Quality.
James V of Scotland works if he's single

VVD0D95

Banned

Mary Talbot was already close at the point of wanting break free from her wedding and the pre-contract would become usable once Henry VIII died so she can be easily tempted to go for that road
Indeed he was, just double checked that.
and interesting, no doubt the regency would jump at that chance. Who’d be on it? Norfolk, Wolsey, more, tunstall, lyster, maybe Charles Brandon?

Indeed he was, just double checked that.
and interesting, no doubt the regency would jump at that chance. Who’d be on it? Norfolk, Wolsey, more, tunstall, lyster, maybe Charles Brandon?
Pretty likely all of them with Brandon as most likely Lord Protector and main regent

Mary Talbot was already close at the point of wanting break free from her wedding and the pre-contract would become usable once Henry VIII died so she can be easily tempted to go for that road and Anne would be glad to such outcome
John III is married but his wife could always die before her time due to butterflies

Indeed, well their eldest son would naturally inherit both kingdoms. Other sons could get lands and estates etc
Agreed
agreed, being uncle of the new queen and all
Considering who the Dukes in England are two and the other is uncle to the intended replacement of Catherine you can be sure who she would throw her full support behind her brother-in-law, likely pointing to the fact who Suffolk is not only a Duke but also her daughter’s closest, English, male adult relative, true only for marriage but still he is the most suitable man for the job as husband of a royal princess