Henry FitzRoy has a son

What if Henry Fitzroy, duke of Richmond and Somerset consummated his marriage to Mary Howard and she bore him posthumous son, named Edward? Could that Edward be made Edward VI's heir given EVI's aversion to female rule?

Possibly, if he and Edward VI get along well, I’d imagine he might be married to Elizabeth or Lady Jane Hrey during Edward VI’s reign so that he will be his real successor.

Deleted member 147978

What if Henry Fitzroy, duke of Richmond and Somerset consummated his marriage to Mary Howard and she bore him posthumous son, named Edward? Could that Edward be made Edward VI's heir given EVI's aversion to female rule?
Assuming that Edward VI did indeed select Edward Fitzroy to succeed him to become Edward VII, I kind of doubt he'll be recognized by some people (especially supporters of Lady Mary Tudor).

Deleted member 147978

Possibly, if he and Edward VI get along well, I’d imagine he might be married to Elizabeth or Lady Jane Hrey during Edward VI’s reign so that he will be his real successor.
Perhaps he'll marry Lady Jane Grey to neutralize the Grey claim descended from Mary Rose Tudor.

Possibly, though I suspect there would have been a move to marry him to someone like Lady Jane Grey.
A lot depends how Edward Seymour, then Earl of Hertford and presumably raised to Duke of Hertford TTL, as Lord Protector handles it. Then how the John Dudley Earl of Warwick later Duke of Northumberland handles it too.

Well, Edward son of Henry FitzRoy would be on par in age with EVI and would probably be raised together with him, so I think EVI could treat his half-nephew as brother.

Assuming that Edward VI did indeed select Edward Fitzroy to succeed him to become Edward VII, I kind of doubt he'll be recognized by some people (especially supporters of Lady Mary Tudor).

Well, yes, but I think male heir would be more popular than Jane Grey so War of The Roses 2.0?

Depends if born in or out of wedlock. If out of wedlock would that make him, maybe Edward, FitzfitzRoy?:p

He's a son of Mary Howard, Fitzroy's lawful wife.

Possibly, though I suspect there would have been a move to marry him to someone like Lady Jane Grey.
A lot depends how Edward Seymour, then Earl of Hertford and presumably raised to Duke of Hertford TTL, as Lord Protector handles it. Then how the John Dudley Earl of Warwick later Duke of Northumberland handles it too.

I think Fitzroy's son is better alternative for both of them than Jane Grey or Elizabeth.

Perhaps he'll marry Lady Jane Grey to neutralize the Grey claim descended from Mary Rose Tudor.

He'll be better off marrying Elizabeth. Edward VI could arrange the marriage before he dies.
And I agree that Edward Fitzroy has high chances of becoming king. Mary had a lot of supporters otl but all of the other candidates to the throne were also women, I don't think that many people would be willing to support her when there's male heir who's of enough to rule on his own.
I wonder what place (if any) Edward would have on Henry VIII's act of succession.

He'll be better off marrying Elizabeth. Edward VI could arrange the marriage before he dies.
And I agree that Edward Fitzroy has high chances of becoming king. Mary had a lot of supporters otl but all of the other candidates to the throne were also women, I don't think that many people would be willing to support her when there's male heir who's of enough to rule on his own.
I wonder what place (if any) Edward would have on Henry VIII's act of succession.
I ruled out marriage to Elisabeth on the grounds that aunt-nephew and uncle-niece marriages were socially frowned on. I can't see a single royal or semi-royal marriage of that kind in English history where they are blood related to that degree. Very few of the inlaw variety too.

I think HVIII would place Edward son of Fitzroy after Edward prince of Wales but ahead of both Mary and Elizabeth.

According to Thomas Fuller: "Well was it for them (Mary and Liz) that Henry Fitzroy his natural son ... was dead, otherwise (some suspect) had he survived King Edward the Sixth, we might presently have heard of a King Henry the Ninth, so great was his father's affection and so unlimited his power to prefer him."

So, it could be that, if the boy is born *before* Henry VIII dies (as is likely) that he becomes King after Edward. It'd certainly butterfly Mary's reign away.

Last edited:
I think HVIII would place Edward son of Fitzroy after Edward prince of Wales but ahead of both Mary and Elizabeth.
According to Thomas Fuller: "Well was it for them (Mary and Liz) that Henry Fitzroy his natural son ... was dead, otherwise (some suspect) had he survived K Edward the Sixth, we might presently have heard of a King Henry the Ninth, so great was his father's affection and so unlimited his power to prefer him."

So, it could be that, if the boy is born *before* Henry VIII dies (as is likely) that he becomes King after Edward. It'd certainly butterfly Mary's reign away.
Pretty much guaranteed who if Henry Fitzroy lived or left a son, Henry VIII would put the line of his illegitimate son ahead of the ones of Mary and Elizabeth, both seen as illegitimate. And I can see Fitzroy’s son being married to either Elizabeth or Jane Grey

Pretty much guaranteed who if Henry Fitzroy lived or left a son, Henry VIII would put the line of his illegitimate son ahead of the ones of Mary and Elizabeth, both seen as illegitimate. And I can see Fitzroy’s son being married to either Elizabeth or Jane Grey

Yeah, that's pretty much what I thought. Elizabeth would give Ed Fitzroy more solid claim, to be honest.

Avunculate marriages weren't a thing in England unlike in the rest of the continent, though, so it's much more likely Fitzroy is married to Jane instead and Mary and Elizabeth are bypassed. Which does give EVI a problem because even if all three of them are technically illegitimate (descended from it in Fitzroy's case), you could have the argument that Mary's and Elizabeth's mothers were once wed in good faith which gives their claim more superiority than Fitzroy's whose grandmother was a mere mistress rather than a set-aside wife.

Avunculate marriages weren't a thing in England unlike in the rest of the continent, though, so it's much more likely Fitzroy is married to Jane instead and Mary and Elizabeth are bypassed. Which does give EVI a problem because even if all three of them are technically illegitimate (descended from it in Fitzroy's case), you could have the argument that Mary's and Elizabeth's mothers were once wed in good faith which gives their claim more superiority than Fitzroy's whose grandmother was a mere mistress rather than a set-aside wife.
Actually, no. The only reason Edward VI had a problem was because Henry VIII's 1543 Act of Succession was passed by Parliament. Edward can only undo that by passing his own act in Parliament (hence why Jane was so easy to overthrow as he died before he could do so). So if Edward dies on schedule, that's it - Henry FitzRoy (or his son) succeeds Edward - Mary's own claim to the throne when she overthrew Jane was because she was next, per the 1543 Act of Succession. So FitzRoy's would be the same; a son/grandson of Henry VIII, placed as first in line if Edward is childless, by the 1543 Act of Succession.

I ruled out marriage to Elisabeth on the grounds that aunt-nephew and uncle-niece marriages were socially frowned on. I can't see a single royal or semi-royal marriage of that kind in English history where they are blood related to that degree. Very few of the inlaw variety too.

Noone told the Habsburgs then....or Valois....or Romans....or anyone really.

I think it might be tolerated if it is seen as preventing civil war.

I think it might be tolerated if it is seen as preventing civil war.
One of the reasons HVII went ahead with Bosworth is because the nobles were up in arms about the possibility of RIII marrying his niece Elizabeth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, so this Elizabeth marrying Fitzroy might cause a worse civil war

Last edited: