Henry 6th killed at Towton

• Thread starter Deleted member 143920
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 143920

I don't think this is particularly likely tbh, though that may just be my bias as extremely pro-Yorkist and pro-Edward IV.

Although you did say that you were baised towards the Yorkists so...

So are you suggesting that after the birth of henry in 1471, Warwick would remove Edward 5th and put little henry of the throne with himself as regent?

I personally don't like this idea, as you can probably tell by now... but it is plausible...
Yeah, that's what I was referring to. He's already killed one King, why not another? And the first one was his protege and cousin. He owes nothing to Edward of Westminster.
Although you did say that you were baised towards the Yorkists so...
Yeah, that was just a disclaimer that I may see things in a particular way that make me think of certain outcomes.

As I said in my 2nd post, though, I see Warwick supporting Clarence as much more likely, though (no bias here cos I do not like Clarence).

Deleted member 143920

Yeah, that's what I was referring to. He's already killed one King, why not another? And the first one was his protege and cousin. He owes nothing to Edward of Westminster.

Yeah, that was just a disclaimer that I may see things in a particular way that make me think of certain outcomes.

As I said in my 2nd post, though, I see Warwick supporting Clarence as much more likely, though (no bias here cos I do not like Clarence).

Issue is however, Westminster was the son and heir of a previous king and would be in this ATL, much more popular with the Lancastrians than what Clarence was with the Yorkists in OTL.
Not to mention that while Westminster replacing Edward 4th would be seen as a legitimate comeback by the lancastrians, as the Yorkists had done the same in 1461, Warwick removing Westminster and replacing him with little Henry wouldn't be seen more than just a power grab... you get what I mean?

And anyway, both Clarence and Gloucester would be dead...

Issue is however, Westminster was the son and heir of a previous king and would be in this ATL, much more popular with the Lancastrians than what Clarence was with the Yorkists in OTL.
Not to mention that while Westminster replacing Edward 4th would be seen as a legitimate comeback by the lancastrians, as the Yorkists had done the same in 1461, Warwick removing Westminster and replacing him with little Henry wouldn't be seen more than just a power grab... you get what I mean?

And anyway, both Clarence and Gloucester would be dead...
Well.... Was he? The Yorkist propaganda machine had been suggesting Westminster was a bastard virtually since he was born. The mere suggestion of that may well turn people off. Even if he's definitely Henry's son, legally Richard of York and his heirs (Edward IV, Clarence, Gloucester) are the heirs of Henry VI after the Act of Accord.

Add onto that that he fled the country and spent half his life in France and that much of the Lancastrian support had fallen apart and it was only the specific events of otl 1469-71 that gave them a shot.

In 1469 Clarence was very popular with the Yorkists. It was only the events of 1470-1 that ruined his reputation.

I don't really get the point about a "legitimate comeback", though. And Warwick killing him to put what would be Henry VII as King is definitely a power grab, but so would killing Edward IV.

How are Clarence and Gloucester both dead in 1469 as well? Or was there some miscommunication as to when I was referring to? If it's post-alt-1470, why would they execute them, though? Gloucester perhaps makes sense but not Clarence. Otl he was named 3rd in succession after Henry and Edward Westminster, why are they killing him?

Deleted member 143920

Well.... Was he? The Yorkist propaganda machine had been suggesting Westminster was a bastard virtually since he was born. The mere suggestion of that may well turn people off. Even if he's definitely Henry's son, legally Richard of York and his heirs (Edward IV, Clarence, Gloucester) are the heirs of Henry VI after the Act of Accord.

Add onto that that he fled the country and spent half his life in France and that much of the Lancastrian support had fallen apart and it was only the specific events of otl 1469-71 that gave them a shot.

In 1469 Clarence was very popular with the Yorkists. It was only the events of 1470-1 that ruined his reputation.

I don't really get the point about a "legitimate comeback", though. And Warwick killing him to put what would be Henry VII as King is definitely a power grab, but so would killing Edward IV.

How are Clarence and Gloucester both dead in 1469 as well? Or was there some miscommunication as to when I was referring to? If it's post-alt-1470, why would they execute them, though? Gloucester perhaps makes sense but not Clarence. Otl he was named 3rd in succession after Henry and Edward Westminster, why are they killing him?

Um alternate history... you really should read back through all the posts...

Deleted member 143920

I have read all the posts, I don't get what you mean.

If you read my post from here you would get a better idea of what I'm talking about.
here is all the knowledge and theories from this thread plus a few extras that I've added which basically sum up everything that has been said

Henry 6th fights at the battle of Towton where he is defeated and then killed by the new king, Edward 4th. His wife Margaret of Anjou and their son Edward of Westminster, prince of Wales flee to France where they would remain in exile.

The reign of Edward 4th occurs exactly the same as in OTL.

In the Robin of Redesdale rebellion that started in 1469, Edward 4th is captured as in OTL , except he is killed while in captivity by Warwick instead. He then arranges a deal with Margaret of Anjou (the wife of the previous king) that he is willing to make her son Edward of Westminster king if he marries his younger daughter Anne. Margaret reluctantly agrees knowing it would put her and her son back in Power,

Edward and Anne marry a year later in 1470, and their first born son named Henry is born a year later. from the moment of his birth, Edward, Warwick and Margaret all agree that the infant Henry must marry the eldest daughter (Elizabeth of York) of the previous king to ensure that the wars of the roses end and the Plantagenet dynasty is once again united. During this time, the brothers of Edward 4th, George duke of Clarence and Richard duke of Gloucester are executed for treason.

The reign of Edward 5th is influenced by his mother Margaret of Anjou while Warwick is Edward's right hand man...

Note: the son of Edward 4th is never born as he never has time to reproduce with his wife, Elizabeth Woodville has he his killed in 1469 while in captivity.

Basically, Warwick kills Edward 4th while he is in captivity in 1469 and puts Westminster on the throne in exchange for his daughter's marriage to him.
Westminster then declares that Clarence and Gloucester have committed treason and therefore must be executed.
Anne gives birth to Henry who then marries Elizabeth of York to secure their claim to the throne and end the rivalry.

If you read my post from here you would get a better idea of what I'm talking about.

Basically, Warwick kills Edward 4th while he is in captivity in 1469 and puts Westminster on the throne in exchange for his daughter's marriage to him.
Westminster then declares that Clarence and Gloucester have committed treason and therefore must be executed.
Anne gives birth to Henry who then marries Elizabeth of York to secure their claim to the throne and end the rivalry.
I knew what you were talking about and what you detailed below, but I'm trying to say that is completely unlikely.

What I take issue with is that Warwick would turn to Margaret to put her son on the throne when they're still sworn enemies in return for his daughter marrying him, when his other daughter is already married to Clarence, his own cousin. If Warwick kills Edward IV and gets away with it, he holds all the cards. And there isn't a doubt in my mind that he would pick his own cousin/son-in-law over the son of his sworn enemy who he had helped disinherit a decade prior. Plus George is already in England and is popular with the courtists there, as well as Warwick being the only possible "power behind the throne" rather than having to grapple with Margaret and potentially having himself offed.

Just going with you for a moment, no way would Warwick let Westminster do that to, again, his own cousins. One of whom is also his son-in-law.

Deleted member 143920

I knew what you were talking about and what you detailed below, but I'm trying to say that is completely unlikely.

What I take issue with is that Warwick would turn to Margaret to put her son on the throne when they're still sworn enemies in return for his daughter marrying him, when his other daughter is already married to Clarence, his own cousin. If Warwick kills Edward IV and gets away with it, he holds all the cards. And there isn't a doubt in my mind that he would pick his own cousin/son-in-law over the son of his sworn enemy who he had helped disinherit a decade prior. Plus George is already in England and is popular with the courtists there, as well as Warwick being the only possible "power behind the throne" rather than having to grapple with Margaret and potentially having himself offed.

Just going with you for a moment, no way would Warwick let Westminster do that to, again, his own cousins. One of whom is also his son-in-law.

First: Warwick had 2 daughters, the elder daughter - Isabel was married to Clarence in 1469. The younger daughter, Anne (the mentioned in this thread) was already married to Westminster in OTL. The difference being that they are married because of different circumstances.

Second: I suppose your right in that Warwick would have to 'grapple with Margaret' should Westminster be put on the throne. However, he went with Henry 6th in OTL, so why couldn't he do the same for his son who would be supported by all factions of the lancastrians? (That's ATL btw)

Thirdly, he could just have Isabel's marriage to Clarence annulled as I don't think they had any children in 1469...

First: Warwick had 2 daughters, the elder daughter - Isabel was married to Clarence in 1469. The younger daughter, Anne (the mentioned in this thread) was already married to Westminster in OTL. The difference being that they are married because of different circumstances.

Second: I suppose your right in that Warwick would have to 'grapple with Margaret' should Westminster be put on the throne. However, he went with Henry 6th in OTL, so why couldn't he do the same for his son who would be supported by all factions of the lancastrians? (That's ATL btw)

Thirdly, he could just have Isabel's marriage to Clarence annulled as I don't think they had any children in 1469...
My guy, I know he had 2 daughters, that was basically my whole point. And in 1469 George was married to Isabel but Edward was NOT married to Anne Neville - that didn't happen until mid-late 1470. And there's no reason why that would change.

Well if Edward is supported by ALL Lancastrians, what is the point of Warwick being there? He's a Yorkist who helped get the last Lancastrian King killed. Why would they trust him? They'd want him out of the way asap. Warwick went with it otl because he could control Henry VI very easily and it was the only way of him keeping power. As said before, here Warwick holds all the cards. He's in control of the government, his daughter is already married to the guy who'd be King after Edward IV and his allies are in government.

And on the way to France in 1470 (so before the proposition of Anne marrying Edward was even being considered) Isabel gave birth to a child, so an argument of non-consumation is trumped. But with this timing Isabel must've been pregnant by the last few months of 1469. And they've also already got a papal dispensation saying they can marry. And pope trumps all.

Deleted member 143920

My guy, I know he had 2 daughters, that was basically my whole point. And in 1469 George was married to Isabel but Edward was NOT married to Anne Neville - that didn't happen until mid-late 1470. And there's no reason why that would change.

Well if Edward is supported by ALL Lancastrians, what is the point of Warwick being there? He's a Yorkist who helped get the last Lancastrian King killed. Why would they trust him? They'd want him out of the way asap. Warwick went with it otl because he could control Henry VI very easily and it was the only way of him keeping power. As said before, here Warwick holds all the cards. He's in control of the government, his daughter is already married to the guy who'd be King after Edward IV and his allies are in government.

And on the way to France in 1470 (so before the proposition of Anne marrying Edward was even being considered) Isabel gave birth to a child, so an argument of non-consumation is trumped. But with this timing Isabel must've been pregnant by the last few months of 1469. And they've also already got a papal dispensation saying they can marry. And pope trumps all.

I knew this period was complicated, but not that complicated.
Anyway, im going to ask the mods to close/lock this thread as i realized it isn't the most plausible thread/timeline

Status
Not open for further replies.