Help with Deputies/Representatives and Excel Seats

Discussion in 'Help and Rules' started by AltHispano, May 11, 2019.

1. AltHispano It's worth dreaming / Vale la pena soñar

Good morning, I'm sorry to do it here but I don't know what other website to do it on. In an alternative story that I'm working on, in Congress I have very little information on how many legislators there were between 1800 and 1910 in Mexico. I also don't know the exact amount that each state had. Mexico has organized itself as 1 district, 1 deputy (1 for every 40,000 inhabitants).

In the alternative history that I'm working on, the country had a new constitution that will come into effect in 1900, reorganizing everything.

In Excel I have some formulas to give seats to the existing entities in 1900 and their respective populations. Only when I make the formula, very different amounts appear to OTL. While OTL gives Zacatecas 20 deputies, in Excel it only gives 12 deputies.

There seems to be a margin of error. How can I solve it? the formula I use is: =ROUND(E6/40000,0)

* Round = Redondear

2. Jasen777 AOC Twitter Repost Bot Donor

So the issue is your formula isn't producing the results that match OTL? Are you sure of the formula they were using OTL? Where they doing proportional seats then also? I probably don't have the history knowledge or data to help you. Maybe they used different population data than you have?

Your formula looks like it would work, assuming you are referencing the correct cell. (I don't know if ROUND rounds it up or down but that shouldn't turn 20 into 12)

AltHispano likes this.
  3. FriendlyGhost Haunting history for 45+ yrs

If you think it's a problem with your data, then I suggest posting a few examples of the data you have, here.
    If you think it's something wrong with your calculations in Excel, then this probably isn't the forum to post in - try an Excel forum (like this one: https://www.excelforum.com) where you can ask for help with the formulae. As Jasen777 says, your Round formula looks like it should work (Round rounds down for less than 0.5 and up for 0.5 or above).

AltHispano likes this.
  4. AltHispano It's worth dreaming / Vale la pena soñar

This is a sample, the seats are in bold.
    * Column "1896" shows OTL data with margin of error for 20 seats
    * The "Rep" column shows the seats with the formula Total Population / 40,000 inhabitants.
    * The last column shows the seats in the penultimate column Voting Population / 40,000
    If you have any doubts, tell me to do in the excel forum.

Anyway, in my alternative history there will be a new constitution (1900-1915). Could I use my own formula or should I avoid the margins of error?

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 12, 2019
  5. Jasen777 AOC Twitter Repost Bot Donor

Well it doesn't look like the 1896 seats were strictly based on those population numbers. Might it have been a "we'll just go with this until we figure it out" thing, like happens sometimes?

AltHispano likes this.
  6. FriendlyGhost Haunting history for 45+ yrs

I think Jasen's right - the number of seats was probably 'about 1/40 000' and probably also 'adjusted' to try to get the 'right' number representing the various provinces (based on what the person/people making the decision thought was 'right'). I don't know what the constitution says but maybe there was also something like 'no more than 20 and no fewer than 4 representatives per area' going on, which would have resulted in the figures having to be 'manipulated' to match.

For your own TL, I think you have three options:
    1. Go with roughly the same numbers as OTL, make up some reasons for why the figures are different from what the calculations would be.
    2. Go with your figures and just gloss over the change.
    3. Go with your figures and use this to introduce some tension in the country as a result of the new constitution ("why have we got fewer representatives now?!" for example) - this might lead to some politicians standing on platforms of pledging to 'fix' the new constitution to curry favour with particular areas.

Zagan, Jasen777, Ferd42 and 1 other person like this.
  7. Brady Kj Well-Known Member

Maybe Mexico didn't have great censuses, or the census results weren't in until after they apportioned the deputies? Or more likely it had a rule where they don't lose seats until the current representatives' terms are over?

I'm just grasping at straws. Governments are weird and unpredictable.