Help me relabel precolonial with classical names

updated
Just a bit of historical fun - I need help relabeling precolonial countries with the classical names of their regions. I've done a few already - please tell me if I screwed up!

Mexico - Aztec
Peru - Inca
Colombia - Muisca (Chibcha)
Guatemala - Maya
Chile - Mapuche
Brazil - Tupia
Paraguay - Guarania
Uruguay - Charrua
Argentina - Querandia
Israel or Palestine - Canaan
Somaliland or Djibouti - Ancient Israel
Eritrea - Punt
Greenland - Inuitia
Bolivia - Tiwanaku Empire
Iran - Persia
Iraq - Babylonia
Syria - Ancient Syria
Egypt - Ancient Egypt
Libya - Ancient Libya
Morocco - Maureatania
Algeria - Numidia
Sudan - Nubia
New Zealand - Maoria
The Philippines - Tagalogia
Tunisia - Carthaginia
Cyprus - Ancient Cyprus
Jordan - Nabatea
Lebanon - Phoeniceia
Yemen - Himyar
Montenegro - Proto-Albania
Kosovo - Dardania
Albania - Illyria
North Korea - Goguryeo
Indonesia - Old Java
Malaysia - Old Malay
France - Gallia
Austria - Norigia
Switzerland - Helvetia
United Kingdom - Britannia
Ukraine - Sarmatia
Belarus - Venedia
United States - Cherokee
Canada - Iroquois

Anyone know anything else?

Last edited:
Paraguay was poetically called Guarania back in the first half of the 20th century.

Inca is the title of the ruler. The empire proper was the Tawantinsuyo.

Doesn't really make sense to say that the classic name of Greenland is Inuit since A) the Inuit are a very wide-ranging people and B) the Norse got there before the Inuit

Ecuador -?
Venezuela - ?
United States - ?
Canada - ?
Nicaragua - ?
Belize - ?
Suriname - ?
Cuba - ?
Honduras - ?
Guyana - ?
French Guiana - ?

Anyone know anything else?

By classical names, do you mean the names of pre-Colombian polities that existed in roughly the same geographical area? And are you looking for the names that the people called themselves, the names they gave to their polities, the names that Europeans called their polities, or something else?

The US is a modern political construction. Pre-Colombian it was a huge sprawling land with numerous tribes. So it's unlikely there'd be a single uniform name.

You could go with some of the names the Revolutionaries were thinking of.

Columbia, Libertalia, Freedonia...

If by classical names you mean native or non Spanish or English ones here are some for Chile, which by its long geography can be divided as follows:
Arika
Antofagasta
Atakama or Copiapo (Qupayapu)
Diaguita or Coquimpu
The above were part of Tawantinsuyo (Inca Empire)
Wallmapu, broadly between the Linari River and Chiloe Archipelago)

Further South kind of difficult being very harsh the climate with few resources for agriculture, husbandry, hunting and fishing

Wouldn't Pindorama be a better name for Brazil than Tupia? It is name of the country in Guarani, an indigenous language present in our(i am brazillian) country.

Saint John, NB could be called Wolastoq, which is what the indigenous inhabitants called it. It was also at one point two towns, Parrtown and Carleton, so a fun alternate name could Parrtown-Carleton.

Canada itself was almost known by a number of other names. These include New Albion, Ursalia, and Cabotia.

More specifically, Montreal can alternatively be known as Hochelaga.

Crazy Boris

Banned
since Canada's largest tribe is the Cree, maybe it could take on a Cree-based name, like "Néhinawia" or something

Puerto Rico's an easy one: Boriken/Boriquen, the Taino name for the island that's been used poetically and unofficially by Puerto Ricans for a long time

For Greenland you could combine Norse and Inuit names into "Grœnnunaat" (literally Greenland, Grœn from Norse, Nunaat from Kalaallit)

Ecuador - Quichua
Venezuela - Arawak
United States - Turtle Island
Canada - Kanata
Nicaragua - Miskito
Belize - Lamanai
Suriname - Akuria
Cuba - Guanahatabey
Honduras - Lenca
Guyana - Kaponia
French Guiana - Amazonia
Brazil - Pindorama

Wouldn't Pindorama be a better name for Brazil than Tupia? It is name of the country in Guarani, an indigenous language present in our(i am brazillian) country.
Yeah, but wasn't the vast majority of Brazil's territory originally inhabited by Tupian tribes, not the Guarani? Seems to me that'd be like the Spaniards naming Mexico after the Zapotecs instead of the (Valley of) Mexica; sure they're there, but that's not who the colonizers would run into, or deal the most with, first. Same with the Guarani, who seem to have only inhabited the far south of Brazil (which wasn't where the Portuguese originally landed or settled all that much at first).

Yeah, but wasn't the vast majority of Brazil's territory originally inhabited by Tupian tribes, not the Guarani? Seems to me that'd be like the Spaniards naming Mexico after the Zapotecs instead of the (Valley of) Mexica; sure they're there, but that's not who the colonizers would run into, or deal the most with, first. Same with the Guarani, who seem to have only inhabited the far south of Brazil (which wasn't where the Portuguese originally landed or settled all that much at first).
I tried finding the Tupi word for sandalwood (since it's where the word Brazil comes from) but I couldn't find it. Maybe someone better at this than me could find it ...

Edit: I'm actually stupid. I was looking for paubrasil and mistook it for sandalwood. So I would suggest Ibirapitanga, which is the Tupi word for Paubrasil.

Last edited:
Indigenous people living in the United States and Canada what is the name before the British colonisation?

Last edited: