Help me create an interesting Axis victory Balkanized Russia

Hi! Me and my mod team are creating a mod for Heart's of Iron IV named The New Order: Last Days of Europe.

In the backstory, Bukharin managed to get control of Russia from 21 to 41. His failed free market reforms neutered Soviet industrialization and a much more competent German military managed to crush the Soviet's during Barbarossa, the war ending earlier than iotl.

Now, after Sea Lion shenanigans (I know) and the US backing out of the war, the world is locked in a three way Cold War between the USA, Germany and Japan. The mod begins in 1962.

The idea initially for the story was that the backstory is a Nazi wank gone realistically after. Germany collapsed in the 50s and while still alive and powerful, lost effective control of the Reichskommisars who are now subject to the Reich in name only. Russia is a series of petty warlords, much like China, following a variety of different ideologies including fascists, surviving Whites and loyalists to the Soviet Union.

Here is the current map (ignore some blank names, bit of an error in game):

https://imgur.com/a/cAT0T

My focus isn't an exceptionally accurate alternate history but an interesting gameplay situation, which is why I'm not asking for a critique of the backstory but for a critique of the setup of the Russias. I would like to make an interesting Balkanized Russia, namely, and figured y'all would be a great source of knowledge on the area and some interesting things that might come of it.

Thank you all for the help! I appreciate it.

If you're curious about the mod at all, the first dev diary just got released here: https://www.reddit.com/r/TNOmod/comments/7c7cie/dev_diary_ii_the_matter_of_britain/

Last edited:

Zagan

Donor
Sorry to bump, but I've gotten knocked back a few pages. Anyone?
And exactly that is the idea. If a topic does not generate interest, it gets "knocked down" quickly. Surely, more interesting topics ought to be nearer the top. That is why you are forbidden (see the rules) to bump threads without adding significant content to them. If nobody answers your thread, you will learn to write a better one for next time. Simply let the uninteresting one die.

Hm.

First off, Russia is fuck. You would have several different factions of every color, and idea all vying for power and control of the land.

There won't be very many Russians, or Slaves left in German control Eastern Europe. The Nazis would have wiped out countless millions - if not tens of millions - of Slavs and all other "inferior" races during the years it has dominated Europe.

And exactly that is the idea. If a topic does not generate interest, it gets "knocked down" quickly. Surely, more interesting topics ought to be nearer the top. That is why you are forbidden (see the rules) to bump threads without adding significant content to them. If nobody answers your thread, you will learn to write a better one for next time. Simply let the uninteresting one die.
Apologies, it's a very active board and an odd question, didn't mean to offend.

Hm.

First off, Russia is fuck. You would have several different factions of every color, and idea all vying for power and control of the land.

There won't be very many Russians, or Slaves left in German control Eastern Europe. The Nazis would have wiped out countless millions - if not tens of millions - of Slavs and all other "inferior" races during the years it has dominated Europe.
Yeah, the idea is Russia p similar to warlord era China with its variety of competing powers of different ideologies, many of them trying to restore the dead Empire or claiming to represent it.

Perhaps each of the nations is backed by another nation so there's a Japanese backed one, USA backed one, ETC.
The idea is that as the game goes on, the various powers can try courting various states and play them against each other, and if Germany/Japan fail to put down one of the states that starts reuniting a significant part, the other nations will of course scramble to get it on their side.

Perhaps numerous radical ideologies (syndicalism, anarchism, communism, etc) all have their own states?
Yep, so far we got a bit of everything in there, my only fear is the map right now isn't particularly interesting/well researched and doesn't have all the cool states and areas that Russia potentially has in this situation.

Yep, so far we got a bit of everything in there, my only fear is the map right now isn't particularly interesting/well researched and doesn't have all the cool states and areas that Russia potentially has in this situation.
I suggest a Yakutian nation. Maybe a Jewish state of some kind or a nation for exiled Ukrainians. Ukrainian one is a bi unrealistic, though.

for central Asia , You could add Karakalpakstan , Gorno-Badakhshan and a russian state in northern Kazakhstan along with some communist factions

for central Asia , You could add Karakalpakstan , Gorno-Badakhshan and a russian state in northern Kazakhstan along with some communist factions
Karakalpakstan is currently in, I'll look into Gorno-Badakhstan, and yeah I was thinking of having the steppe's of Kazakhstan having been settled by several Russian states, possibly. Maybe some Cossack's can pop up somewhere. And don't worry, we got Commies abound.

I suggest a Yakutian nation. Maybe a Jewish state of some kind or a nation for exiled Ukrainians. Ukrainian one is a bi unrealistic, though.
Isn't Sakha a Yakutian nation? Sorry if I'm wrong. I like the idea of exiled Ukrainians, would be an interesting state that doesn't have to conform to modern borders.

Karakalpakstan is currently in, I'll look into Gorno-Badakhstan, and yeah I was thinking of having the steppe's of Kazakhstan having been settled by several Russian states, possibly. Maybe some Cossack's can pop up somewhere. And don't worry, we got Commies abound.

Isn't Sakha a Yakutian nation? Sorry if I'm wrong. I like the idea of exiled Ukrainians, would be an interesting state that doesn't have to conform to modern borders.
That Sakha is not where OTL Sakha is at all.