Help Making Wikiboxes Without Wikipedia

Discussion in 'Help and Rules' started by Adam The Nerd, Nov 4, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Adam The Nerd A weird nerd

I want to make Wikiboxes, but I'm blocked from editing Wikipedia, and I can't get the ban undone until 23 January 2019. There are several fixes, I know, but none of them would work.

1. Sandbox (Blocked users can't even edit their own sandbox. Yes, blocked users can't even edit their PERSONAL sandbox)
    2. Appeal (I can't do that until 23 January 2019 without it getting laughed out by an admin)
    3. Block Evasion (It's against the rules, and would delay the time it would take for me to appeal)
    4. Having someone else make the wikibox (less fun and requires more trust)

If there is any way to make wikiboxes outside of Wikipedia, please do inform me.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
    King_Arthur and Zagan like this.
  2. Petike Sky Pirate Extraordinaire

Clockpunk Zemplín Kingdom / Franz Josef's Land
    Why are you banned from Wikipedia ? It's never happened to me, even when I used the sandbox.

King_Arthur and Adam The Nerd like this.
  3. Petike Sky Pirate Extraordinaire

If you create an account on Wikipedia, you can use your own sandbox. You don't need to rely on the public one.

Adam The Nerd likes this.
  4. Adam The Nerd A weird nerd

1. I vandalised Wikipedia multiple times in 2015, even after being warned by a moderator to stop.
    2. I know, and blocked users can't even use their own sandbox, let alone the public one.

King_Arthur likes this.
  5. Petike Sky Pirate Extraordinaire

Protip: Stop vandalizing Wikipedia. If you behave like an asshole on various websites, don't be surprised you'll get suspended in particular ways. When you blatantly confess about uncalled for behaviour on Wikipedia, I don't think it adds to our sympathy towards you.

Tough luck, then. You'll just have to perservere until January. If you don't want your sandbox to be inaccessible, don't behave badly.

From my own experience, people on Wikipedia are very helpful, as long as you respect the rules and use common sense. Vandalizing isn't common sense and it's also incredibly rude and against the spirit of an encyclopedia.

6. Gog-Clocthoth Well-Known Member

Though I've made wikiboxes before, I don't understand why you couldn't just go to Wikipedia without logging in and instead of saving your infobox work, just using "show preview" to take the screenshots you needed; saving the code in Notepad on your PC or another location in case you want to make further edits. Or going to your preferred article and using the "DevTools" in Chrome (not sure on other browsers) to edit values on the page to suit your AH scenario. If that's not possible, I assume bans are based on IP or some other system, not that I need to know or really care because I don't intend to vandalize Wikipedia and be in your position.

I spent some time searching around the internet, and for your sake, Wikipedia isn't the only Wikipedia-style website.

There are a large amount of mirrors, clones and copycats. Some of these aren't editable by non-users, they may exist for the purpose of serving ads and profiting on the pre-made content, or for niche issues (tv shows, local communities, fringe political ideologies), or so an individual or group can run an online encyclopedia and play by their own rules. If you go to a potential site and it has a "Random Article" button, click it a few times and look at the pages. If they don't have "view source" or "talk" or "page/article history" options like you see on Wikipedia (something like WikiVisually fits the bill), then the only good you'll get out of them is using the Inspect Element method. If you remember on Wikipedia, there is usually an "edit" option, though I often found the option to be "view source" on these offshoot wikis, meaning a non-user can't edit articles or even get previews. Most of these sites seem to restrict this privilege to registered users, which is understandable (especially when people vandalize things!). I suppose if you wanted to, you could register for one of these sites just to get things done in the Wikipedia format, but I can't say they'll be active, responsive, accepting members or even safe to use. Also, I found that some sites just copy templates from Wikipedia but then don't actually have a usable template to make more complex election boxes, and I don't know the process of adding those to a Wiki in terms of skills and effort required.

If the boxes don't need to look identical to the ones on Wikipedia, try Wikia. One again, many of these articles require an account to edit, but I found it relatively easy to get one and "presidential election" and "politician" infoboxes are easily found on different Wikis (Wikias?) with a little searching. I can't promise they have templates for more complex or obscure Wikiboxes.

Or you could just rig something together in Excel or some other program. If your POD is far enough back, who says Wikipedia will exist or look a certain way? Look through some of the Wikibox threads, the overwhelming majority is standard Wikipedia, but there have been other formats. I've made a Wikibox style "newspaper front page" in Paint.NET for a Shared Worlds game I ran, and posted it to that thread without consequence or complaint; "alternate Wikipedia formats" as a style aren't unheard of.

I mean, how far away are these things from the Wikiboxes you see elsewhere?

[​IMG]

Candidate pictures, maps, vote totals, lists, colors, words, captions, charts, tables, totals. Just takes a little imagination.

7. Petike Sky Pirate Extraordinaire

Gog-cloctoth is right, you know. I virtually always use the preview function, even in my own sanbox, to make the occassional wikibox.

8. TC9078 Empire

It's IP- my proxy is blocked from Wikipedia and I have to turn it off to edit stuff.

9. Zyxoriv Jack of all trades, master of none.

Try just using inspect edit on google, it'll work for any website.

10. Omar04 Well-Known Member

You could make another account using Tor or just ask to be unbanned early. I think you can also change your IP if you login to the router configuration page.

11. CalBear Your Ursus arctos californicus Moderator Moderator Donor

Please refrain from coaching people on how to screw with other web forums.

Thanks.

karatachi and Zagan like this.
  12. karatachi Thanks Moravec

Both Rationalwiki and Conservapedia uses same format as Wilipedia.
    Very unexpected sentence.

13. January First-of-May Well-Known Member

Especially since Wikipedia isn't even a web forum.

karatachi likes this.