Hearts of Iron IV Thread

Could someone explain to me what the hell "toozer" means, please?
It’s a term for “teaser”. Basically means a showcase of content, whether that be descriptions, focus trees, or portraits. Some mods are called Toozer mods because they exclusively post Teasers and said teasers often show off content that either was only implemented for the teaser or doesn’t even work in game.

It’s a term for “teaser”. Basically means a showcase of content, whether that be descriptions, focus trees, or portraits. Some mods are called Toozer mods because they exclusively post Teasers and said teasers often show off content that either was only implemented for the teaser or doesn’t even work in game.
I see, thank you.

Something I really dislike about "continuation mods", that usually takes a 1936 mod and add a cold war scenario or a cold war mod and makes a modern day scenario is that they tend to take routes that makes no sense at all following the normal mod timeline.

Like, let's supose that there is an mod that allows you to get Wang Jingwei as the leader of China in 1938 and he remains until the end of the mod timeline in 1948. Then someone makes a sequel and makes a scenario that he takes power, is killed by someone a year in and then Chiang Kai Check (who is not a political character, just a general in the original mod) take over and leads china until the start of the cold war mod. I find that so frustrating.

Something I really dislike about "continuation mods", that usually takes a 1936 mod and add a cold war scenario or a cold war mod and makes a modern day scenario is that they tend to take routes that makes no sense at all following the normal mod timeline.

Like, let's supose that there is an mod that allows you to get Wang Jingwei as the leader of China in 1938 and he remains until the end of the mod timeline in 1948. Then someone makes a sequel and makes a scenario that he takes power, is killed by someone a year in and then Chiang Kai Check (who is not a political character, just a general in the original mod) take over and leads china until the start of the cold war mod. I find that so frustrating.
Are you thinking of specific mods and routes in particular?

Would you mind giving some examples? I'm curious.
I got permission so here is it. I'm a dev of TNO and I'm speaking on behalf of myself, not the team.

A New Millenium Brazil

When I saw that my heart broke. TNO Brazil opens many routes that are intuitive, as you can get OTL Brazil, keep Brazil as a democracy, you can make a longer or shorther dictatorship, you can get the integralists, you can get a Red Brazil, etc. In general Brazil ends better than OTL and OTL Brazil is considered by a considerable part of the team the worst possible path, since even Red Brazil might end better than OTL.

The route shown above is nothing of that. It is counter intuitive, I couldn't guess in a hundred years that a communist Haddad would lead a Brazil that is poor and crippled like that following the TNO timeline, it came from nothing and thankfully it got corrected and now Brazil starts as a democracy with a radical elected, something that makes sense and it follows what you could expect from TNO Brazil.

I have a question for modders or “armchair modders” like me - how would you handle a total conversion for an interstellar map, like Palpatine’s Gamble? I like their idea of having to build landing zones quickly before you can really access any supplies, but the problem there is that it doesn’t realistically depict that a planetary incasion coild theoretically happen anywhere on the surface.

Decided to make an alternate version of Paradox Interactive, HOI4 and the Red World mod for my Power Without Knowledge TL!

Originally released in 2002 by Antinomy Interactive*, Blood and Iron is a grand strategy game series revolving around steering a nation through the Second World War. Though the original game in the series received average reviews, Antinomy has received praise for several of the sequels and has actively cultivated an engaged community of fan-created mods, the most notable of which is The End of History, a uchronic full conversion mod for Blood and Iron IV. Taking place in the modern day, TEH takes as its point of divergence the failure of the the Soviet Restoration and stillbirth of the tide of changes most commonly referred to in the West as "the Calamity".

In a world... where the USS is only a bitter remnant confined to Central Asia, South Africa remains an apartheid state, and Communism is finally in terminal decline around the globe, your task is to take control of a nation at the turn of the new millennium and guide it through the tumultuous early decades of the second American Century. Are you up to the challenge?

At the start of the game there are three major powers, each with the greatest potential to reshape the broader balance of power that shape the end of history:
  • Verging on a hyperpower, the United States of America has grown arrogant swollen with victory even as political extremism and soaring inequality begin to erode the foundations of the city on a hill. The Republicans have grown large enough to practically absorb the core of the Democratic Party in the long overdue fulfillment of the Reagan Revolution, with the hawkish and interventionist National Union squaring off in the court of public opinion against a Reform Party even more fractious than the real one**. An unavoidable early event in the American tree plunges the nation into what is billed as a quick and easy war to topple Castro that quickly devolves into a quagmire threatening to sink the superpower's grand ambitions like the USS Maine.
  • The Paneuropean Community has expanded recklessly since the fall of the Soviet Union, absorbing the entirety of the former Warsaw Pact (plus Turkey) while a revanchist Russia fumes. While Russian rearmament is perhaps the most obvious danger in the long run, the majority of the early tree is spent dealing with a now united Germany that still retains Austria and is loudly complaining about the balance of power within the PEC, creating historical echoes that have everyone in the bloc's leadership sweating bullets even as they try and force through a new common currency.
  • In Asia, the Republic of China is racing to supercharge its economy to catch up to the Americans and the Europeans, the better for them to finally reap the whirlwind of the century of humiliation. The Chinese tree allows for the suborning of Japan and the newly reunified Korea right under Washington's nose, though attempts to enforce a zone of control in the South China Sea can quickly escalate into conflict with Australia and Vietnam and a focus on militarism has the chance to trigger an invasion of Tibet sure to bring in the US and the PEC with anything from harsh sanctions to illicit arms supplied to the Tibetans.
Although many players choose to start as one of the "big three", TEH offers a wide range of choices for unconventional play styles even outside of the smaller countries forced to act around the bellicosity of the superpowers, with the Union of Sovereign States tree culminating in an attempted coup in Russia to bring it back to the fold, American distraction offering the potential of a Regressive United Arab States spreading from a minor insurgency to an entrenched regional power, and a particularly challenging playthrough as Cuba facing down the beast of America. For those who like to play long odds, The End of History also offers an extremely difficult joke country, Virgin Bellinsgauzenia***, where players are tasked with uniting an unlikely alliance of Regressives and Soviet and South African exiles into a force to be reckoned with in the harshest environment on Earth.

*Their logo is a black swan.

**Basically the Republican-Democratic/NPP divide from TNO.

***Kaiserredux's Antarctic Commune lives, only with no Trotsky and only a slim chance of a penguin army!

bellinsgauzenia-png.765497

Have the eye-searing flag of Virgin Bellinsgauzenia from The End of History! Have some lore:

"Unfairly regarded as a pariah state, Virgin Bellinsgauzenia has been able to carve out a hard but stable existence in Antarctica, transforming a ragtag bunch of political exiles into a united collective determined to preserve their freedom in the face of repression in their home countries and rapacious corporations out to plunder the southern continent. With a founding population of radical American environmentalists, Russians fleeing the post-Soviet scramble for power, and black South Africans practically driven into the sea by the apartheid government, the new "nation"* has made itself busy accepting refugees of all stripes in its quest to build a sustainable monument to human freedom. Using the Antarctic flag as a base, the flag of Virgin Bellinsgauzenia incorporates green to represent its environmentalism, the literary symbol of Zoran's Equation to represent knowledge, and the stylized skull as a memento mori in the face of the unforgiving ice and the polar night."

*Such as it is.

Congrats, I like it!
Thanks! There's also a smaller mod equivalent to Kaiserreich called Edelweiss, it shifts the action to a World War One analogue in a world where the 1848 Revolutions succeeded 🤔 Probably won't get its own update but I might change my mind. I'm kicking around an idea where an authoritarian America and Russia anchor a reactionary alliance, most of the liberal revolutions have evolved in a Georgist direction (including a Confederacy that won the Civil War but fell to a revolution in the 1890s!) and the revolutionary role filled in the original mod by Syndicalism is instead taken up by Nihilist Anarchism.

Last edited:
Considered something of a meme mod among "serious" uchronians, Edelweiss, like The End of History, is a total conversion mod for 2016's Blood and Iron IV, though the former takes a far more sweeping approach to its core concept than the latter does. With a POD centered on the failure to pass the 1832 Reform Act, the acceleration of the Chartist movement in Britain bolsters the success of the Revolutions of 1848, in turn depriving the United States of a massive wave of pro-Union immigrants during the Civil War. The main focus of the mod is on the aftermath of this chain of events, with the game beginning in 1910 and rapidly building to an exotic Great War. Broadly speaking, the playable countries in Edelweiss can be divided into three factions:
  1. The Grand Alliance serves as a bastion of reactionary conservatism, bringing together the United States, the Russian Empire, the British Empire* and the Great Qing along with a smattering of vassals and lesser empires. Without the influx of immigrants to inflame the Know-Nothings and ultimately tip the balance of the Southern Rebellion, America remains divided between the overwhelmingly dominant and business-minded Whigs and the fringe Liberty Party, a single-issue number focused on abolition in the border states. Russia and the Qing have their own problems, with the former under siege from a recurring bout of Nihilist insurgencies and the latter still bitter about the loss of its own civil war, all the while Britain fumes about "reclaiming the birthright", whatever that means.
  2. The Second International is the leading light of popular government, with leadership in the organization fiercely contested between the Republican Federation** and the Volksrepublic, though membership ranges from semi-constitutional monarchies like the Taiping Heavenly Kingdom all the way to Communard experiments like the French Republic. The People's Confederacy gets a lot of side eye for the whole "used-to own people" thing, but the Populists and Readjusters are united on pushing back on that hopelessly outdated stereotype. The dominant position in the Second International is a Georgist strain of social democracy by the start of the mod, though Communards are still adamant their breakthrough will come any day now.
  3. Less an alliance than an endemic social disease, Nihilist Anarchism rages throughout the underbelly of the Russian Empire and is particularly common in an India chafing under the Russo-American yoke and in the parts of Africa squeezed between American West Africa and the Dominion of South Africa. At the start of the game the only Nihilist power is the Commoner's Shogunate, with the entire Pacific Rim living in terror of the black flags of the veritable pirate armada that calls itself the Commoner's Free Navy.
Although the outbreak of the Great War is inevitable, the mod has a list of instigating incidents from conflict in the Caribbean to a Russian crackdown on Hungary to infighting in the Second International, one of which will trigger automatically regardless of player action. Edelweiss also contains a joke country, Neutral Moresnet, with the incredibly difficult task of realigning the International around a strain of militant esperantism called Finvenkismo. Although the mod has a relatively small fan base it has proven unusually influential in modern American politics, with many young Citizens, Subversives and America Firsters citing the portrayals of Georgism, Nihilism and American conservatism, respectively.

*Centered on Canada but retaining New Zealand, South Africa and possessions in the Caribbean. They're in pretty dire straights and there's an opinion in the halls of power that the US and Russia basically strongarmed them into selling India well below market price.

**An alliance of equals between the British, Irish, and Australian republics. The shared tendency of annual elections makes predicting the actions of the Federation as a whole somewhat difficult to anticipate.

Last edited: