HBO miniseries adaptation of Philip Roth's 'Plot Against America' announced

David Simon announces fictional miniseries about the rise of fascism and antisemitism in America

"Philip Roth
died earlier this year, leaving behind a legacy of novels that are likely to be celebrated for generations to come, and a whole bunch of film adaptations that, well, not so much. (Looking at you, The Human Stain.) Now, Deadline reports that HBO and David Simon will be giving one of Roth’s better-known 21st century works the TV miniseries treatment instead, adapting The Plot Against America, a fictional work about the rise of fascist political leaders and antisemitic fervor in the U.S., for no reason, really, why, why do you ask?

Like many of Roth’s book, Plot is both fictional and semi-autobiographical, taking place in a universe where noted Hitler buddy Charles Lindbergh beats FDR for the presidential race in 1940 by running on a platform of non-interference, mixed with a little “Dang those Jews.” Told from the perspective of a young Roth, the book tracks increasing anti-Jewish attitudes in America as the president encourages support for fascist regimes, opposition to the media, and a whole host of other oppressive policies, which, thank god, are safely confined between the covers of a fictional book.

Simon—who’s currently working on the final season of The Deuce—will showrun the six-part miniseries alongside his old The Wire pal, Ed Burns."

William Hughes

A song appropriate with the series. BTW who actor you think is the best choice for the role of Charles Lindbergh?

They could use a cover of the song as the theme song. As for who should play Lindbergh, my top choices are:
Tom Hiddleston, Neil Patrick Harris, Dominic Cooper, and Robert Downey Jr.

I think this alternative story of Charles Lindbergh it will create unavoidably some comparisons with present day Trump

I liked the book but felt the end was such a massive cop out. HBO usually does a good job, Fahrenheit 451 aside.
I mean the ending was fine right up until Japan attacked Pearl almost right after the emergency election in 42 and WW2 proceeded to go seemingly exactly as OTL from that point.

I think this alternative story of Charles Lindbergh it will create unavoidably some comparisons with present day Trump
No, really? I thought it be something about Bernie Sanders, oh of course people will tie this stuff with Trump, because current year politics yo; gotta make s--t about Trump when usually the material in question has little to nothing about the orange chump. People did that with Man in the High Castle, Wolfenstein The New Colossus, It Can't Happen Here, and now this; say what you want about the Cheeto in charge but I find this "comparison" thing to be not very productive considering the circumstances regarding the time periods said works are set in (I mean I wonder where's the part where the POTUS goes off and makes Panzerhounds and utilizes the occult to take over the world and drain the mediterrean lake with his "buddy" Putin and wipes out Africans because white-ethno s--t?).

You have an excellent point. I love the firey debate between the rabbi, and Roth’s father.
Roth’s dystopia, is more subtle than nazism, reminds me of apartheid. An elite of the oppressed group are copted as overseers.

This show has potential. It could go from being really interesting or really not. I could see that with great actors and writing it could get really good.

Last edited:
This show has potential. It could go from being really interesting or really not. I could see that with great actors and writing it could get really good.
I could see more shows featuring Alternate History being green lit if this show is a success. TL 191 Anybody?

I could see more shows featuring Alternate History being green lit if this show is a success. TL 191 Anybody?
ACW AH is poison for any form of mainstream TV. Unless you turn Confederacy into a horrible crapsack immediately you will be open to charges of gaslighting. And while TL 191 boils into a crapsack Confederacy, it needs some wars to get to be truly horrific. The reason the Roth work is getting greenlit is because of the current political situation and because it is depicting something that never did happen in the TL of its time: institutional anti-Semitism and rise of fascism in United States. An ACW AH would have to deal with OTL slavery and racism. I don't think any exec is brave enough for that right now.

The two George’s would be a good idea.
I’d like to come up with a story based on Lin biao overthrowing the great helmsman.