Have significant areas first seen by Satellite.

In Civilization III, the discovery of the technological advance Satellites reveals the entire world to the player, however in pretty much any game I've ever played, World and territory maps are cheap (if you aren't at war with a civ, you can trade for them for less money than building most military units). So as a result of this, the occasional sea square bordered by the ice at the top and bottom of the map may be revealed but rarely anything else.

How do we get the discovery of Satellites in our world to actually reveal areas?

This would involve a civilization that is so insular that information as to where mountain ranges and rivers within their territory exist is something that they could manage to keep from foreigners for hundreds of years. Pre-Peary Japan would seem like an open civilization...

Ideas? (Antarctica doesn't count, unless it is Green Antarctica.)

This would require a geological thing best suited for the ASB form. best i can do would be a lake in the middle sahara big enough for satelite but small enough it didn't have a major civilization crop up

Unlike some Civ games (Civ 5 on a huge map can easily have satellites revealing big chunks of the world), Civ 3 is realistic here since OTL satellites revealed little but new features in the Arctic and Antarctic (i.e. Landsat Island).

However, there's something to be said for how spy satellites routinely unveil top-secret places and are the world's best look into forbidden places like North Korea.

The world has some very remote islands. Maybe they could be first discovered by satellite?
It's doubtful you'd find any islands of significance that way, barring a massive reduction in the amount of whaling and interest in the High Arctic/Antarctic before the Space Age.

How do we get the discovery of Satellites in our world to actually reveal areas?

This would involve a civilization that is so insular that information as to where mountain ranges and rivers within their territory exist is something that they could manage to keep from foreigners for hundreds of years. Pre-Peary Japan would seem like an open civilization...

This effectively boils down to "how fast can we go from the start of the age of discovery up to the first satellite". Delay the former and accelerate the latter as much as possible.

Or it might be used to look into deep deserts ("island" oases?) or slightly submerged formations like Sheriff's Rock et al

Black Death kills far more of Europe. With China looking inwards, and everyone in the West dead or busy colonizing Europe, no-one will discover the Americas. Han keep china die to butterflies and ME innovates as well, with resources from colonized Europe. Eventually satellites are made, and they are unaware that the Americas exist until then, but maybe Australia was found.

ASB tho, veeeryy ASB.

That's OTL. To simply "know" that something exists doesn't necessarily mean anything - is Google maps useful for agriculture, weather, etc.? Governments today do share satellite data to "know" the world, just like in the game.

I remember when I was little, I thought Newfoundland was discovered by satellites, and named such because it was the world's only newly found land.