Have 'Conan' be a highly successful movie franchise

60ff40bcbe86e19b06e503cdb60dc004.jpg

Apart from 'Conan the Barbarian' & 'Conan the Destroyer' there was no more interest in making any more movies (apart from the 2011 remake)

With a post 1980's POD have 'Conan' be a highly successful movie franchise. This means having a film released around every two years in the same way as the 'James Bond' franchise released their movies. You can have different directors, actors etc.

Much obliged!

marathag

Banned
Have Arnold not successful with other films, so is hungrier, and he's typecast as Conan, rather than '80s Action Hero.

other option, Arnold is under contract to do three films, with a 4th optional

Next, keep the stakes small, rather than taking down an entire continent wide Cult, keep him as a Brigand, a Thief at first, and meets interesting people on his journey, and kills most of them, while befriending others

Make Conan the Destroyer an R rated film instead of going for PG. Because as literally anyone with a functioning brain, that is to say anyone who isn’t a film executive, could have told you that was a HORRIBLE idea.

I really liked the original movie and with that in mind have John Milius return as a Director along with the film maintaining an R rating.

Make Conan the Destroyer an R rated film instead of going for PG. Because as literally anyone with a functioning brain, that is to say anyone who isn’t a film executive, could have told you that was a HORRIBLE idea.
My thoughts about current Hollywood.

The original Howard Conan stories are basically too short to function as movie-length plots. Turning Conan into a TV series, using Howard's material as a base, might have been more viable in the long term.

Note that there were any number of attempts (in the form of cheesy 1980s sword and sorcery movies) to rediscover the magic of the 1982 movie... and all failed.

The original Howard Conan stories are basically too short to function as movie-length plots. Turning Conan into a TV series, using Howard's material as a base, might have been more viable in the long term.

Note that there were any number of attempts (in the form of cheesy 1980s sword and sorcery movies) to rediscover the magic of the 1982 movie... and all failed.

While I like your TV series idea, and I did enjoy the TV series with Ralf Moeller, I would suggest using some of the Conan novels of the time ]Conan and the Spider God[/url] from L.Sprague DeCamp and Conan and the Road of Kings from Karl Edward Wagner would have made great movies.

My thoughts,

Last edited:
Next, keep the stakes small, rather than taking down an entire continent wide Cult, keep him as a Brigand, a Thief at first, and meets interesting people on his journey, and kills most of them, while befriending others

2nded

Wasn't the 'Barbar' movie based on 'Kull the Conquerer'?

have the first one be more of a blockbuster. It could have been better... it had some good moments, but it kinda eschewed telling a decent story in favor of going overboard on the 'boobs and blood' aspect. Not to mention the Flower Children of Doom, an incredibly weak scene. Also, the Conan stories are rife with 'Conan vs. horrible eldritch beings', and the only monster Conan fought in the first one was an incredibly slow giant snake. There really should have been a different script/story involved, something about Conan's early years as a thief and a barbarian severely out of place down in civilization....

That was my impression, that the flood of cheesy knockoffs (of a pretty cheap and cheesy movie) basically made the whole genre into a bad joke, to an extent that the flood of Star Wars knockoffs never really did for sci-fi.

I remember seeing The Beastmaster, Red Sonia and the like and thinking they were pretty silly even as a kid. Heck, they were out-serioused by The Dark Cauldron, never mind The Dark Crystal

I dunno, getting a movie in front of more eyes by shooting for a lower rating was a winning strategy again and again at the time. Your movie still has to be worth seeing, is the thing. Clan De Laurentis has always had dramatically hit-and-miss instincts when it comes to production. When a director finds them with a strong vision for a project, results are usually good. When they cobble things together or get bogged down in post-production squabbles, it gets dicey fast.

Honestly, getting them off the project would be my first move.

Arnold Schwarzenegger has always been open to doing more Conan movies. He's not the problem. Directors and studios are.

Easiest way is to simply have John Milius stay on board for Conan the Destroyer, push for another hard R movie, and push forward with the planned trilogy he and Oliver Stone wanted to do.

Have that hard R version of Conan the Destroyer do well, and swap out Red Sonja for another Conan movie and you don't even need to change much of Schwarzenegger's career... hell, post-Terminator his name would be a big draw.

Best thing is, much like with Terminator, you could have Arnie revist the role when he is older and do the King Conan movies he has always wanted to do.

Arnold Schwarzenegger has always been open to doing more Conan movies. He's not the problem. Directors and studios are.

Easiest way is to simply have John Milius stay on board for Conan the Destroyer, push for another hard R movie, and push forward with the planned trilogy he and Oliver Stone wanted to do.

Have that hard R version of Conan the Destroyer do well, and swap out Red Sonja for another Conan movie and you don't even need to change much of Schwarzenegger's career... hell, post-Terminator his name would be a big draw.

Best thing is, much like with Terminator, you could have Arnie revist the role when he is older and do the King Conan movies he has always wanted to do.

I can just imagine Conan: The Hour of the Dragon. A final battle scene as great as the Battle of the Pelennor Fields in Return of the King.

When they couldn't make it they made Kull the Conqueror, the first part of which is essentially the first part of The Hour of the Dragon/Conan the Conqueror.

I’ve wondered for some time now if there is any way the current MCU will do a Conan movie.
don't think the rights work that way... Marvel did do the first Conan comics, but they had to license the rights from REH's estate (I think), so if Disney wanted to do a Conan movie (something I doubt), they'd have to get the rights first..

don't think the rights work that way... Marvel did do the first Conan comics, but they had to license the rights from REH's estate (I think), so if Disney wanted to do a Conan movie (something I doubt), they'd have to get the rights first..
They don't own the rights - the rights belong to Cabinet Entertainment which is run by one of the guys who used to run Paradox Entertainment (which owned Paradox the video game maker until 2004 / CK2).

The good news is that a Netflix Conan series is in development