Has www.alternatehistory.com lost its oldest messages?

Discussion in 'Help and Rules' started by Anthony Appleyard, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Anthony Appleyard Member

See the first and last messages in the thread "Europeanized middle east" at https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/europeanized-middle-east.266/#post-1882

I remember that that thread's first (oldest) message (by Straha, on Jan 13, 2004. starting "A sort of timetable for this might be"), was cut-and-pasted from an older message that I typed in. But I cannot find that older message of mine by searching. Have www.alternatehistory.com's oldest archived messages been lost in some mishap? Or what happened?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  2. January First-of-May Well-Known Member

If that older message was made before January 2004, it would have been on the Old Board, whose archives were closed down in 2013.

I think there are a few other reasons for AH.com comments to have disappeared (the big one is the Maverick Mutiny, but it shouldn't be applicable to anything pre-2006), but I'm not aware of any specific ones that would apply to January 2004, so if the post was made then, I have no idea why it might not be around any more.

(For what it's worth, I checked some rare words from Straha's post and there were no earlier results for them.)