Harold loses but not killed at battle of Stamford Bridge

So this is an idea I've been having for a while, basically if Harold godwinson loses but manages to retreat with or without his best troops, realising he will be defeated at some point during the battle what would be the likely consequences? Assuming this has no butterfly effects on the in weather English Channel. Or would he simply be chased down by the vikings and die in another battle?

So this is an idea I've been having for a while, basically if Harold godwinson loses but manages to retreat with or without his best troops, realising he will be defeated at some point during the battle what would be the likely consequences? Assuming this has no butterfly effects on the in weather English Channel. Or would he simply be chased down by the vikings and die in another battle?
well, hes either gonna die or go into exile;
but i must admit this is kind of a hard question

Hadrada may try to pursue. Whether or not he can do so successfully is another story - it's certainly not down to "die or exile" for Harold no matter what.

That would be interesting, supposing the two are still facing off against one another when the Normans arrive. That could lead to some interesting alliance possibilities supposing the Harolds have stength enough left to face William.

Harol Godwinson is now in seriously trouble. Both the Vikings in the north and the Normans in the south are after his kingdom. His best bet is to take ship out of the country and join the Varangians in Miklegard. Work as a mercenary but be come down for a former king. Better that though than death.

More interesting, with Hardrada (assuming he is still alive) William both claiming England as theirs (a bit like most games of Britannia) what happens next? Any previous threads on the PoD?

His best bet after one defeat is to give up?

Wow. Pessimistic, aren't we?

I mean, I can certainly imagine scenarios at Stamford Bridge which would warrent that - but "Harold loses, now what?" being automatically "the game is up" feels very weird to me.

Perhaps, if he's not careful enough, one of Edwin or Morcar's supporters slips a knife into his back -- or posion into his drink -- so that those lords can make a deal with Harald and/or William.

His best bet after one defeat is to give up?

Wow. Pessimistic, aren't we?

I mean, I can certainly imagine scenarios at Stamford Bridge which would warrent that - but "Harold loses, now what?" being automatically "the game is up" feels very weird to me.
It is not a case of one deafeat so give up. It is a case of the Norwegians controlling the north of England and the Normans the south. Moreover, as the strongest English leader, neither Harald nor William will want him alive flaming the fires of rebellion/liberatiing the kingdom from foreign conquest. As long as he is in England they are going to do their level best to finish the job.

Not withstanding Robert the Bruce and Alfred the Great, when your army has been whipped and your country conquered, the game usually up. Ask the various James's of Scotland after II and VIII got run out of his throne for being a Catholic.

It is not a case of one deafeat so give up. It is a case of the Norwegians controlling the north of England and the Normans the south. Moreover, as the strongest English leader, neither Harald nor William will want him alive flaming the fires of rebellion/liberatiing the kingdom from foreign conquest. As long as he is in England they are going to do their level best to finish the job.

Not withstanding Robert the Bruce and Alfred the Great, when your army has been whipped and your country conquered, the game usually up. Ask the various James's of Scotland after II and VIII got run out of his throne for being a Catholic.

Despite that the OP simply says at some point he realizes he's going to lose and withdraws, "with or without his best troops", your assumption is that what it really says is "What if Harold's army is annihilated but he survives?".

I'm not saying that can't happen - but saying that "Harold loses at Stamford Bridge" is comparable to the situation of Robert the Bruce or Alfred the Great by definition is something that needs some serious examination and not just references to the Stuarts.

Tostig was the driving force behind Hardrada's expedition (Hardrada himself wasn't really keen on it at all but since peace with Denmark his nobles were probably spoiling for somewhere else to go), and Tostig was a big star of Edward's court. He wasn't all that popular in England after Edward died, but if Harold loses...

I think it's probably easiest to look for answers there.