Hannibal the Cannibal

IIRC, Hannibal Monomachus,staff officer and friend of the great Hannibal, during the march from Spain to Italy, proposed cannibalism in order to supply the army, if Polybius is to be believed. Hannibal was unable to follow up on Monomachus' advice. What if Hannibal had adopted the practice large-scale? I apologize if this is probably more suited to the ASB forum, I chose to post it here first to see if this is even remotely plausible, and if it would seriously affect the outcome of the Second Punic War.

I'm honestly surprised Cannibal armies haven't been a thing considering how bad some armies' supply problems could get and some cultures not having much aversion to drinking from skulls and whatnot.

Well the main question here is why should Polybius be believed with regard to whether this actually happened? First it's important to understand what the purpose of this anecdote served for Polybius. So, here's the full passage:

At the time when Hannibal planned to march on Italy from Spain with his army, it was foreseen that he would find it very difficult to feed the troops and keep them constantly provided with supplies. The difficulties of the amrch seemed almost insuperable both owingto the distance and to the numbers and the savagery of the barbarians in the intervening lands. It seems that the problem was more than once discussed in the Council, and that one of Hannibal's friends, Hannibal Monomachos, stated that he foresaw only one way by which it would be possible to reach Italy. When Hannibal asked him for an explanation, he replied that he must teach his troops to eat human flesh and accustom them to this...

Hannibal had nothing to say against the boldness and practicality of this suggestion, but he could persuade neither himself nor his friends actually to adopt it. They say the acts of cruelty in Italy of which Hannibal is accused of were the works of this man, but due no less to those of circumstance.

I bolded the last sentence here, because it is important. Polybius admires Hannibal, and throughout the work spends a lot of time defending Hannibal's character from critics. The purpose of this passage was not to suggest that Hannibal had ever seriously considered cannibalism it is to set up Hannibal's character. Hannibal cannot abide by cruel acts such as cannibalism, but Hannibal's army did commit cruel acts while in Italy. Polybius is saying that the cruel acts, and Hannibal's reputation for them, were not because he was a cruel man, but because he had bad advice from advisors (this is a theme in Polybius, he deploys the same explanation for Hieronymus of Syracuse) such as Monomarchos and was often required to by necessity. Monomarchos, and presumably other advisors, are cruel but Haninbal is not, in contrast to what other Roman historians were saying. Polybius was likely responding to other accusations (that we see later in Varro and Livy but that likely existed in Polybius's time) that Hannibal's army had practiced cannibalism, because Hannibal was an excessively cruel man (as the traditional Roman story told it).

Greeks and Hellenized Phoenicians alike had a strong moral aversion to cannibalism, and Polybius actually relates a real instance of cannibalism by the mercenaries in the Mercenary War when Hamilcar sieged them at Prion. This episode is used to fully convince the Carthaginians of the inhumanity of the rebels, who are now no better than beasts, leading Hamilcar to refuse their eventual surrender and slaughter them all. So with that in mind, I don't think Hannibal would have actually have allowed his army to resort to cannibalism. However in the event that did happen, I'm not sure much would change since plenty of Roman accounts, already were accusing Hannibal's army of cannibalism.

Did that was a modest proposal? if anything romans would fear hannibal name if this now a literal open season on romans...
The cannibalism would presumably be of his own dead troops, in the exceptional circumstances of crossing the Alps. In any case, the Romans were already accusing Hannibal of cannibalism IOTL, which is why Polybius even bothers to relate this anecdote.