Hair Metal: Did Nirvana really kill it in 1991?

On a site called The Roosevelts, they have an article about the 13 most "90's" songs of the 90's, and Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit was mentioned:

http://www.rsvlts.com/2016/01/21/90s-songs-of-the-1990s/

In this article, the writer mentions something Pauly Shore said about how this song instantly killed Hair Metal. However, is that really true? It seems to me that Hair Metal was dying by 1991 anyway. When I think of that year in music, Hair Metal isn't one of the first things that comes to mind.

If it killed anything, then I think it was other alternative rock that didn't break through, while hair metal was already dying on its own.

I always thought that Weird Al's Smells Like Nirvana was kind of lame, since Smells Like Teen Spirit was already a satire of the same kind of music that Weird Al was spoofing.

Like who? Other Seattle bands?

Todd's One Hit Wonderland has a running gag where he talks about a 90's alternative band and says, "Clearly, X represented the face of alternative music in 1991!" *Cue Smells Like Teen Spirit*. Seattle did alright, but we never got much from Madchester, or The Smiths, or the Pixies (ironic, considering Cobain was trying to be like the Pixies with Teen Spirit), or any of the other DIY alt-rock bands that were precursors to modern indie rock.

Did Nirvana really kill it in

1kdDpjx.jpg

Yeah, the impression I got of 1991 was that the old 80s genres were shambling zombies, sticking around largely because nothing had gotten the traction to replace them. As such, while Nirvana did kill Hair Metal, it was an "Old Yeller" type of killing.

I was a freshman in college when Smells Like Teen Spirit came out. And while you could kind of see the writing on the wall for hair metal, my memory is that Nirvana did exactly that - killed it instantly.

It depends upon your classification. I think the only sub-genre of metal that was permenently affected was cock-rock / glammies - the only real revival came with The Darkness and I always felt that was somewhat arch and it didn't spawn too many imitators. Pretty much everything else (NWOBHM, Thrash, doom, black, power etc) that could fall into a 'hair metal' classification is still going strong both live and in sales.

It depends upon your classification. I think the only sub-genre of metal that was permenently affected was cock-rock / glammies - the only real revival came with The Darkness and I always felt that was somewhat arch and it didn't spawn too many imitators. Pretty much everything else (NWOBHM, Thrash, doom, black, power etc) that could fall into a 'hair metal' classification is still going strong both live and in sales.

Well, everything's relative. Still, in 1990 a band as lame as Nelson could get a number one hit. By the time they recorded their next album, the whole scene was off the pop charts, and the only metal to come close to that level of success again was Evanescence, if they even count. Otherwise, no crossover pop hits from pretty much anyone metal.

Well, everything's relative. Still, in 1990 a band as lame as Nelson could get a number one hit. By the time they recorded their next album, the whole scene was off the pop charts, and the only metal to come close to that level of success again was Evanescence, if they even count. Otherwise, no crossover pop hits from pretty much anyone metal.

whats a crossover pop hit - a metal song that does well in the standard charts??, and what would you call a hit??, and where??

cos off the top of my head -

RHCP's still charted pretty well in the UK - 10 top 20's since 1991

Metallica are the same

granted no number 1's from either, but then i'm struggling to think of any metal/rock band since Iron Maiden that have had a genuine number 1 in the UK (genuine in that it was'nt a gimmick track, or a fad, or a cheesey rock soundtrack song, or a publicity stunt)

whats a crossover pop hit - a metal song that does well in the standard charts??, and what would you call a hit??, and where??

cos off the top of my head -

RHCP's still charted pretty well in the UK - 10 top 20's since 1991

Metallica are the same

granted no number 1's from either, but then i'm struggling to think of any metal/rock band since Iron Maiden that have had a genuine number 1 in the UK (genuine in that it was'nt a gimmick track, or a fad, or a cheesey rock soundtrack song, or a publicity stunt)

It certainly isn't as high profile as in the 80s (and especially not in the US) but rumours of metals death are exaggerated.

I also don't get the split between grunge and metal that this question supposes - they're on the same continuum as can be seen by the regular appearance of AiC at a variety of rock festivals a,ongst other things.

Agreed, though as a gigging guitar player at the time, we never classified NWOBHM, Thrash Metal, Doom Metal, Black Metal, Power Metal, etc. as being a part of the whole hair band thing. Hair metal bands, were bands like Poison, Motley Crue, Dokken, etc. As a rough rule of thumb, if a metal band didn't do power ballads, or (worse yet, IMO) "unplugged" (acoustic guitar only) versions of their songs (the only exception to this would be Staind's acoustic version of "Outside" in the early 2000s - nobody would ever call them a hair band). As a guitar player, who played in a band at the time, that performed a fair amount of hard driving alternative rock, some punk rock, and even some Metallica, I couldn't stand hair metal. Like a lot of music fans at the time, I was sick of Hair Metal's "let's party/get high/get drunk"; "hey babe, you're really hot/sexy and I wanna jump your bones"; and (prevalent in power ballads) "babe, I'm hurting for you so bad" lyrics. It's incredibly lame sounding guitar (all buzzy upper mid range, and no low end wallop), with boring drummers, who sounded like metronomes (all they seemed to play was "dah donk, dah donk, dah donk, dah donk" ad nauseum), didn't help things either. Throw in a bunch of "send in the clones" bands, due to record companies wanting to cash in on the hair metal craze of the mid and late 80s, and the genre ended up becoming saturated/overexposed (this same thing happened to grunge a few years later). It seemed like the last hurrah at the time (1990-91) for hair-type metal, was GnR, which wasn't really 100% hair metal, due to the sleaze factor the band incorporated lyrically, and the not so hair metal sounding guitar. So yes, by the time "Nevermind" came out, hair band music was definitely on the way out.

F.Y.I. - grunge was around years before Nirvana (one of its earliest bands, the U-Men, was around in the early 80s, and I'd been listening to Soundgarden since 1990), and some grunge bands (like Gruntruck), sounded nothing like Nirvana. Due to grunge, and Nirvana both being from the Seattle area, grunge became associated with Nirvana. Throw in the fact the band's record label (Geffen) really pushed "Smells Like Teen Spirit" for radio play (for a goodly chunk of 1991 & 1992, you heard the song umpteen times a day on the radio), and it became a huge hit, during a time, when the listening public was already starting to ignore Hair Metal, and the not so true correlation was made (there was a fair amount of coincidence), that "Smells Like Teen Spirit" killed Hair Metal.

Last edited:

I think that cock rock and glam is what's meant by "hair metal" that was killed by Nirvana. There's never been any real sense of hostility between grunge or any other type of metal- in fact there's been a fair bit of cross-fertilisation.

But then again it was pretty much glam and hair metal that was popular in the '80s charts anyway. Everything else was and is some degree of underground, barring the odd band like Metallica, popular both before and after Nevermind.

Actually, with very few exceptions, most everything that was popular in the 80s was pretty much being trashed by the 90s. Not just hair metal, but even stuff like Billy Idol, ZZ Top, heck, I even remember kids at my High School making fun of Prince. However, i would argue that traditional metal did suffer kind of a setback in the 90s. By 1996, the "big 3" of traditional metal, Dio, Priest, and Maiden, were on the small label CMC, as opposed to the 80s when they were on Warner Bros, CBS/Columbia, and Capitol respectively.

Pure pop also went fallow in the mid-90's because damn near everything was hip-hop or R&B. The early 90's were a transitional period across music and we haven't seen any comparable shift since, I think. In addition to rock, you also saw big shifts in pop, rap, R&B, even country music.

Of course, it feels like it's 1990 all over again in music right now, so we might be headed for more turbulence once the neo-crunk bubble bursts.

No.

I have three theses.

1. In part, hair metal never died until the mid 90s - 2000s.

This is a radical thesis, but arena rock bands continued churning out multi-platinum albums.

-Guns and Roses were huge, and sure they were wearing flannel shirts in 91-92 but it was still glam rock. Most of their 90s stuff was written in the 80s anyway.
-Van Halen went three times platinum in 91, and then again in 95, and they were still doing rockers to open their albums and power ballads.
-Aerosmith's Get a Grip was another hair album which was wildly successful in 93. They pretty much released the same crap in 97 and 02 and went multiple platinum. The sappy ballad "I don't want to miss a thing" was huge.
-Mr. Big and Firehouse still had top 40 hits in 1995. This proves that people were still into the sound--however, they released sucky albums and otherwise made no sales.
-Kiss kept selling albums other than the trend jumping carnival of souls--in the 2000s, the obvious glam rock song "live to win" did very well.
-def leppard did well in the early 90s, but i must admit their 97 album was pretty solid but didn't sell. by then, the genre was starting to peter out.
-Damn Yankees did great in 92, but then broke up. However, this shows the strength of the genre at this point.

2. Top acts trend-jumped when they probably did not have to in order to remain commercially viable.

The above shows that name-brand acts still garnered mainstream radio play, mtv waterchers, and record sales. Yet, they all still made hair rock. However, the following acts trend jumped when they could have easily towed the line and made money--

-Alice in Chains went from metal to grunge. Their first album was headbangers ball stuff, and even the B-side "Fear the Voices" made in 1992 shows they were still making hair rock--but dumped it for marketing reasons and Cantrell's own eccentric (and excellent) taste. However, being that "Face Lift" towed the line between arena rock and the seattle sound, they could have easily continued to do so as the audience was there.
-Metallica went from the pinnacle of success arena rock with the black album to still very successful Grungtallica (and then Nutallica.) If they released material like the black album, it would have easily still went multiple times platinum.
-Ditto for Megadeth, though I would miss the song Trust
-Bon Jovi went from hair to adult contemporary (keep the faith) to listless-youth oriented rock (their unknown 1995 album) back to hair rock (it's my life, have a nice day). Ironically, they were still getting mainstream play in the 2000s. The local high school in my town had a have a nice day bumper sticker on the stop sign. these 40 somethings still had teen accessibility. Bon Jovi might have been bigger if they just kept up doing arena rock albums, as that's what they ultimately reverted to for their singles.

3. Really crap luck with the next generation.

Hair rock died because some bands got way too old (Aerosmith), broke up (Van Halen, Damn Yankees), and trend jumped. However, how about those that didn't?

-Guns n roses simply stopped making albums after they churned out arena rock covers like live and let die in 93.
-Skid Row simply did not have creative talent to continue...a bon jovi reject was simply not enough of a creative force.
-young bands like faster pussycat, white lion, cinderella, warrant, slaughter, and winger made bad follow up albums after 92, which ensured that there exists no vibrant core of bands to keep the genre viable and thereby encourage other bands to follow suit.

In the end, arena rock outlived grunge.

^
Actually, I thought Winger's 1993 album "Pull" was a very good album, and if hair metal went in that direction it could have survived. Of course, "Pull" didnt do well on the charts, so you'd need a new band who was influenced by that sound to get that direction going.

Mr. Big and Firehouse still had top 40 hits in 1995. This proves that people were still into the sound--however, they released sucky albums and otherwise made no sales.

Mr. Big had a hit in 1995? interesting. I heard their 1993 album (Colorado Bulldog, I think. Me and my co-worker would listen to different albums in the truck on the way to jobs) a few times, and didn't think it was that great. As for Firehouse, I think that song from 95 was a ballad, more than likely.

-def leppard did well in the early 90s, but i must admit their 97 album was pretty solid but didn't sell. by then, the genre was starting to peter out.

Don't remember their 1997 album, but I did hear their 1999 album, Euphoria. It wasn't too bad.

Top acts trend-jumped when they probably did not have to in order to remain commercially viable.

That link that I posted said that Pantera also changed overnight after SLTS.

Last edited: