Hail, Britannia

Provinces of Columbia

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
rd293tC.png

Columbia is a federal dominion of nine provinces, all of which are self-governing and share sovereignty with the federal government. Linguistically diverse, what is now Columbia was home to some of the earliest European colonies in the Americas, dating back to the early 17th century, alongside several Native American tribes. The modern dominion was formed in 1856 upon the enactment of the Commonwealth of Columbia Act, that united the colonial provinces of New York, New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, Allegheny and Pennsylvania into a single federal state. In 1862, further negotiations led to the incorporation of Genesee Iroquoia, more commonly known as Genesee, as the country's seventh province. In 1866, New York was partitioned into the modern provinces of Adirondack, Nassouwen and New York City and Long Island, bringing the total number of Columbian provinces to nine.

Under the Commonwealth of Columbia Act, and the later codified Constitution of Columbia, the provinces have plenary legislative power except on matters reserved for the federal or imperial parliaments. Similar to neighbouring Canada, whose constitution is modelled on Columbia's, any change to the division of powers between the federal government and the provinces requires a constitutional amendment, and the provinces have a great deal of power relative to the federal government, with jurisdiction over many public goods such as health care, education, welfare, and intra-provincial transportation. Like subdivisions in other federal dominions, they receive "transfer payments" from the federal government to pay for these, as well as exacting their own taxes.

Columbia is one of the most linguistically diverse dominions, with English and Dutch having official status at the federal level, while French, German, Swedish and the Iroquoian languages are recognised minority languages. The province of Nassouwen is one of two majority Dutch-speaking parts of North America, while Swedish is spoken in small populations throughout New Jersey and Delaware, and Pennsylvania is home to populations of Welsh and Palatine German speakers. Adirondack in the north of the country, is the most linguistically divided province, with an equal three-way split between English, French and Dutch speakers. About a third of the population of Genesee Iroquoia speak one of the Iroquoian languages fluently, and the demographics, politics and culture of the province are heavily influenced by Native American history, making it distinct amongst the varied regions of Britain-in-America. Two of Columbia's provinces, Pennsylvania and Maryland, are viceregal palatinates with hereditary viceroys, styled as "Duke and Lord Governor" in Pennsylvania and "Earl and Palatine" in Maryland. Unlike other large dominions, Columbia is home to no major secessionist movements although there is a movement in Bermuda for the territory to be integrated into Columbia as a province.

5I1R86X.png

TXt3FsG.png

mMo0Gy9.png

Last edited:
Lovely! Wonderful to see the dominion I live in finally in color! (You are missing Adirondack on the flag graphic though)

Interesting, is there any tensions in the state due more than half the population being concentrated in the top 3 Provinces or that some of the provinces voices are not being hear due to them having tiny populations compared to the rest of dominion.

Also I answered your flag questions but post your response to the first couple of responsers a few minutes before so you many miss it, Post #2240.

Oh definitely :)

With Colorado and Wyoming, they both have very nice OTL flags. But I sort of feel that it is cheating to use them without modification.

For Colorado, some thoughts:
OStqipL.png
I'm quite partial to design #3, but it is maybe too cluterred, while I think #2 has a certain stylistic simplicity to it.

For Wyoming:
4B0rLRz.png
I don't like the ensign, and the different colours were me trying to incorporate the OTL state colours. I feel top left is too complicated. So it's between the two re-proportioned buffalo flags, just deciding on colours...

As much as I love seeing the Union Jack splashed in cantons everywhere... I actually prefer option 2 for Colorado, but option 1 is nice as well.

And the one closest to the original Wyoming flag (don't know why OTL Wyoming decided to add the state seal to the flag, it didn't exactly need it to stand out! Haha)

Great work as always though lei

rd293tC.png

Columbia is a federal dominion of nine provinces, all of which are self-governing and share sovereignty with the federal government. Linguistically diverse, what is now Columbia was home to some of the earliest European colonies in the Americas, dating back to the early 17th century, alongside several Native American tribes. The modern dominion was formed in 1856 upon the enactment of the Commonwealth of Columbia Act, the united the colonial provinces of New York, New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, Allegheny and Pennsylvania into a single federal state. In 1862, further negotiations led to the incorporation of Genesee Iroquoia, more commonly known as Genesee, as the country's seventh province. In 1866, New York was partitioned into the modern provinces of Adirondack, Nassouwen and New York City and Long Island, bringing the total number of Columbian provinces to nine.

Under the Commonwealth of Columbia Act, and the later codified Constitution of Columbia, the provinces have plenary legislative power except on matters reserved for the federal or imperial parliaments. Similar to neighbouring Canada, whose constitution is modelled on Columbia's, any change to the division of powers between the federal government and the provinces requires a constitutional amendment, and the provinces have a great deal of power relative to the federal government, with jurisdiction over many public goods such as health care, education, welfare, and intra-provincial transportation. Like subdivisions in other federal dominions, they receive "transfer payments" from the federal government to pay for these, as well as exacting their own taxes.

Columbia is one of the most linguistically diverse dominions, with English and Dutch having official status at the federal level, while French, German, Swedish and the Iroquoian languages are recognised minority languages. The province of Nassouwen is one of two majority Dutch-speaking parts of North America, while Swedish is spoken in small populations throughout New Jersey and Delaware, and Pennsylvania is home to populations of Welsh and Palatine German speakers. Adirondack in the north of the country, is the most linguistically divided province, with an equal three-way split between English, French and Dutch speakers. About a third of the population Genesee Iroquoia speak one of the Iroquoian languages fluently, and the demographics, politics and culture of the province are heavily influenced by Native American history, making it distinct amongst the varied regions of Britain-in-America. Two of Columbia's provinces, Pennsylvania and Maryland, are viceregal palatinates with hereditary viceroys, styled as "Duke and Lord Governor" in Pennsylvania and "Earl and Palatine" in Maryland. Unlike other large dominions, Columbia is home to no major secessionist movements although there is a movement in Bermuda for the territory to be integrated into Columbia as a province.

5I1R86X.png

zzw4iYe.png

I9O7JR3.png
Forgive me if this has been explained already, but what caused the splitting up of provinces like New York and Pennsylvania?

With Colorado and Wyoming, they both have very nice OTL flags. But I sort of feel that it is cheating to use them without modification.

OStqipL.png
I'm quite partial to design #3, but it is maybe too cluterred, while I think #2 has a certain stylistic simplicity to it.

For Wyoming:
4B0rLRz.png
I don't like the ensign, and the different colours were me trying to incorporate the OTL state colours. I feel top left is too complicated. So it's between the two re-proportioned buffalo flags, just deciding on colours...
I like the middle flag for Colorado, and the gold and brown buffalo flag for Wyoming. Very unique and fitting color combination IMO, red and blue is overdone.

Who are the hereditary viceroys of Pennsylvania and Maryland and who do they descend from? What powers and political affiliations (if any) do they have?

Who are the hereditary viceroys of Pennsylvania and Maryland and who do they descend from? What powers and political affiliations (if any) do they have?
The ones of Pennsylvania are probably descended from William Penn (who founded the colony)

OStqipL.png

For Wyoming:
4B0rLRz.png
Try #4 of Wyoming, but replace the red border with the Union Jack in the background. Should look like a Union Jack, with the blue-and-white buffalo rectangle layered over it.

OStqipL.png

For Wyoming:
4B0rLRz.png
I like Colorado #3 is best.
As for Wyoming I am partial to either the lower gold and brown one OR a standard blue or red ensign with a big white-colored buffalo in the style of #3.

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
Awesome update Leinad and awesome flags much better then OTL.
Lovely! Wonderful to see the dominion I live in finally in color! (You are missing Adirondack on the flag graphic though)
Your flags are always awesome!

Thanks :) and thanks to Tyche for catching that! Blame my non-existent sleep schedule!

As much as I love seeing the Union Jack splashed in cantons everywhere...

Isn't every flag improved with a Union Jack in the canton :p

I actually prefer option 2 for Colorado, but option 1 is nice as well.

And the one closest to the original Wyoming flag (don't know why OTL Wyoming decided to add the state seal to the flag, it didn't exactly need it to stand out! Haha)

Great work as always though lei
With just the buffalo. The Union Flag in the canton just isn't as appealing IMO.
Colorado 1#

Wyoming 2#/Middle Flag but put the white section at the bottom or change it to vertical and have the flag half and half with the Union Jack on the red side and the Buffalo in the blue square on the white side.
I like the middle flag for Colorado, and the gold and brown buffalo flag for Wyoming. Very unique and fitting color combination IMO, red and blue is overdone.
Try #4 of Wyoming, but replace the red border with the Union Jack in the background. Should look like a Union Jack, with the blue-and-white buffalo rectangle layered over it.
I like Colorado #3 is best.
As for Wyoming I am partial to either the lower gold and brown one OR a standard blue or red ensign with a big white-colored buffalo in the style of #3.

All good feedback everyone :) I appreciate it!

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
Interesting, is there any tensions in the state due more than half the population being concentrated in the top 3 Provinces or that some of the provinces voices are not being hear due to them having tiny populations compared to the rest of dominion.

Not particularly,

Forgive me if this has been explained already, but what caused the splitting up of provinces like New York and Pennsylvania?

Pennsylvania was split in the late 1780s due to disputes between the Penn government and western settlers. New York dissolved in 1866 into the three provinces largely due to the lingustic distinctions of the regions.

What's the story behind the Welsh speakers in Pennsylvania?
I assume it's similar to OTL.

Yep, the Welsh Tract is a bit more successful and some Welsh speakers survive to the present day.

The ones of Pennsylvania are probably descended from William Penn (who founded the colony)
As @Peppe, the Penns would be Dukes of Pennsylvania. Meanwhile, the Calverts would (I presume) be Earls of Maryland, since the colony was established by the 2nd Baron Baltimore.
I wonder who was the 7th Baron considering the inheritance problems with the 6th will

Pennsylvania's is indeed descended from the Penn family, with a fictional lineage after they ended in OTL. The Calverts continue to reign in Maryland, with a semi-fictional semi-illegitimate line of descent after the 6th Baron. I don't have the line of succession in front of me, but I think it went through Charles Benedict Calvert's descendants.