Hail, Britannia

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
I made a highway map :p (I tried)

PM me.

I'd be interested to know what the different colours are meant to represent...

Actually, This could work as a tunnel, which would be similar to the Chunnel under the English Channel.

The issues with a Strait of Gibraltar tunnel are well documented. However it is an idea I am willing to consider.

Personally I think one or two fixed crossings across the Irish sea are more feasible, one along the Galloway route, and the other along the Turkar route.

This would link into a general improvement in high speed rail across the Empire.

Judging by the highway going off into the Arctic Archipelago, I'm guessing that global warming is considerably muted compared to OTL.
That dark highway is a planned highway, which isn't built yet.
That is even more concerning than a mere cartographical error.

Look, just for the sake of comparison:

The bridge you've drawn for Gibraltar over the Mediterranean is a fuckhuge megaproject that would be bigger than anything built by mankind.

Short answer: No.
Fine, I'll delete something that I put a bit of effort in and redraw it.

I'm going to put this here for you:

I think now might be the most appropriate time to post some Ground Rules For Contributing:

2) Don't post anything (infoboxes, news bulletins, lists etc.) withought running your ideas past me first. There may be elements of established canon that you don't know about (mainy because I haven't posted it yet!)

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
Hey @LeinadB93, longtime onlooker here! Just want to know how's the Kennedy family doing in TTL?

Just fine actually. I've got infoboxes for the three Kennedy brothers in various stages of completion, but I can go into some detail:

John F. Kennedy Sr., 3rd Duke of Barnstable
Liberal member of the New England House of Commons and the Imperial Parliament. Also Deputy Leader of the Imperial Liberals. His father's death in 1969 means he inherits the title "Duke of Barnstable" and has to sit in the Imperial Council. Becomes government leader in the Council under Trudeau and Carter, and remains as an hereditary peer after the 1970s Lords Reform. Later serves as UN Ambassador under Thatcher and Bush.
Robert F. Kennedy, 1st Viscount Kennedy
The least fleshed out, but serves in the New England House of Commons, then leader of the New England Liberals and First Minister from 1968 to 1981. Created Viscount Kennedy in the 1980s and appointed to the Imperial Council as a life peer.
Edward M. Kennedy
The black sheep of the family, he aligns with the New England and Imperial Social Democrats and serves as leader for a time in the New England House of Commons. Elected on a list seat to the Imperial Parliament in 1981 he serves as Infrastructure Secretary in the Carter Government. Later serves as a member of the New England Senate until 2007.​

Hopefully I can get the infoboxes done soon :)

I can't believe I didn't even think of this, but @LeinadB93 surely has a general "United Empire" wikibox in the works. Perhaps even an entire Wikipedia article! That would be amazing.

;) now that would be telling wouldn't it...

Last edited:

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
This week's news bulletin. Difficult times ahead for the British governing coalition :confused:

I hope @wolfram doesn't mind the bit about Texas.

90oPyaR.png

xeVEnn6.png

Leaked Report Describes "Financial Irregularities" at the WPA

LONDON - A leaked report from the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister has highlighted serious concerns over the awarding of contracts to private companies under the umbrella of the Work Projects Agency. The leaked document highlights several instances in the last five years of funding being provided to private contractors to invest in jobs and infrastructure in deprived areas across the Empire, but that no construction work ever took place, with no follow up inspections occurring either.

The Work Projects Agency was originally established in Columbia by First Minister Al Smith, although it was in fact the brainchild of Franklin D. Roosevelt, before being adopted as an imperial agency by the Henderson Government and further expanded under Truman and Attlee. The WPA employs millions of people to carry out public works projects across the Empire, including the construction of public buildings, roads, bridges, tunnels, railroads, schools, housing, hospitals, airports and much. Although historically a Social Democratic and Liberal policy, it is now seen as an integral part of the British welfare state, providing paid jobs for millions of unemployed Brits across the Empire, and although the Conservatives seek to reduce funding, they have stopped calling for the dissolution of the agency.

Deputy Prime Minister Michael Bennet (Liberal) has issued a statement confirming his knowledge of the internal report and that "the matter has been referred for external review and investigation". However, in a controversial and provocative move, he has placed the blame for the emerging scandal firmly at the feet of Prime Minister Sylvia Lim (Social Democrat), as he pointed out that "many of the companies who benefited from this abuse of public funds have close ties to the SDP". The Prime Minister has yet to respond, but the public comments from Bennet and other high ranking Liberals are putting serious strain on the already fragile coalition.

In Other News

- Devastating wildfires have continued to ravage southern California, having first erupted on Monday night and across much of the region north of Los Angeles, with some having spread as far as the Pacific coast. About 5,700 firefighters have been brought in from across California to battle the brushfires, with some volunteers travelling across the border from neighbouring Texas to help. Californian Prime Minister Jon Huntsman (PNL) has declared a state of emergency across the region, where hundreds of buildings have been destroyed and vast areas of land have been burnt. So far there have been few injuries and only one fatality, but nearly 200,000 people have been evacuated from their homes in what are some of the worst bushfires to strike the region in years. The strong winds have subsided in recent days, and firefighters have finally made some progress in containing the fires.

- Trent Franks, leader of the National Renewal Party and former Deputy Prime Minister of Texas, has issued a statement confirming his immediate resignation from both the party leadership and his district of Phoenix Northwest-Maricopa. This announcement comes amid an ethics investigation into the congressman over comments he repeatedly made to female staff asking them to be surrogate mothers. The harassment allegedly took place over a period of time when Franks and his wife were facing infertility. Mr Franks has become the first member of the Texas Congress to quit over allegations of sexual harassment, and his resignation follows that of Jacques Conyers (Social Democrat), member of the Imperial Parliament for Ville de Détroit. The by-election for Conyers' constituency is scheduled to take place on 1 February next year.

Last edited:
Something just seems so wrong about seeing a non-Social Democratic Party holding a plurality in a Nordic election infobox. :p

Interesting to see how this will develop :)

Excellent work as always :) It's always good to have some local knowledge to help develop this world. Keep it up!!E]

Really good but just one point. The result in an STV election is as determined by how transfer friendly a party is not just the vote share. The Nordic Democrats are going to be very transfer unfriendly and with only a small number of constituencies are going to need a very relative high vote for a far right party to win outright, which they would probably have to do. Overall the result should be different than mirroring the result of a National List ballot, how exactly as I say would depend on transfers, and can be thrown by strong individual candidates, but it is unlikely that there would be a simple relationship between percentages and outcome as there is an a list system (see various Irish and Northern Irish results)

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
Taken note. Maybe you can fix it? I know it's bad, so maybe you can fix?

I can have a look at it. As I've said thiugh, I'd like to know what your thoughts were behind the different colours.

Something just seems so wrong about seeing a non-Social Democratic Party holding a plurality in a Nordic election infobox. :p
Would you say it's... not a model Nordic Model? :p

Haha :p who says it's going to last!

Whoops! Thanks for catching that :)

Really good but just one point. The result in an STV election is as determined by how transfer friendly a party is not just the vote share. The Nordic Democrats are going to be very transfer unfriendly and with only a small number of constituencies are going to need a very relative high vote for a far right party to win outright, which they would probably have to do. Overall the result should be different than mirroring the result of a National List ballot, how exactly as I say would depend on transfers, and can be thrown by strong individual candidates, but it is unlikely that there would be a simple relationship between percentages and outcome as there is an a list system (see various Irish and Northern Irish results)

All good points, what I meant with that comment was that, in general, the results in the Council generally reflect those of the Assembly in regards to the big two. Although you are right about the Nordic Democrats being unfriendly to transfer votes, compared to the two alliances and potentially the Pirate Party, I based them gaining a seat in Denmark on the recent Danish general election of OTL where the right-wing party came second. My thinking is that this would give them enough first preference votes to win a seat.

I deliberately excluded the percentages from the Council election because they are the results of preference votes, which is also why the results don't exactly line up to yhe Assembly percentages and results.

Last edited:
Index of Imperial Constituencies & MIPs

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
Last edited:

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
A little something I worked up over the weekend. Credit to @Wayside for the work on the constituency, the write up and the recent election details.

90oPyaR.png

Lehigh Valley is a county constituency of the British Imperial Parliament, that elects one Member of the Imperial Parliament (MIP) by the first past the post system of election. The constituency is located in the province of Pennsylvania, part of the Commonwealth of Columbia. It was created for the 1973 imperial election, and was consolidated from the two Pennsylvania constituencies of Allentown-Lehigh and Bethlehem-Easton, as a result of demographic and economic changes as well as the switch to the mixed member proportional system. The largest settlement in the constituency is Allentown, followed by Bethlehem (formerly home to some of the largest steel manufacturing facilities in Britain-in-America) and Easton.

Politically, Lehigh Valley (much like the constituencies that preceded it) is considered to be a safe Social Democratic seat. Its first MIP was Fred B. Rooney (former MIP for Bethlehem-Easton), a WWII paratrooper who saw combat in Spain and Singapore. He was defeated in an upset in the 1981 election by Conservative Donald L. Ritter, a metallurgist and scientist from Lehigh University. Ritter was re-elected in 1984 as part of the Conservative surge, but was defeated by Paul McHale in 1988. McHale, a former Army colonel, held the seat until 2001, and he briefly served as Chair of the Defence Select Committee during the Gephardt Government, but was defeated in 2001 by Pat Toomey, a banker and local businessman, who was swept into office as part of the Conservatives led by George W. Bush (ironically, Bush relied upon the Social Democrats for support during much of his government). Toomey's tenure was short-lived, as in 2005 the Social Democrat candidate Daniel McNeill retook the seat. McNeill, a labour organiser with a reputation for straight talk and a genial attitude, continued to serve as MIP until his death in 2017. In the by-election that followed, his widow, Jeanne McNeill, was elected in a landslide.

BwTLjbh.png

Last edited:

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
Can you do one for my constituency (presumably Georgetown, MD)

Sure thing :) OTL Washington D.C. is called Fredericksburg, MD over here. At the moment it is held by the Social Democrats, but in my head it's probably a Liberal-SDP swing seat, with a strong Progressive Conservative showing.

Any thoughts on which party the constituency might have gone for in the past? Any potential MIPs you have in mind?

Same goes for anyone else, I'd be happy to do requests for any constituency. Background info would be appreciated but not essential :)

@LeinadB93 I just love immersive infoboxes such as the constituency one that you've crafted there. Seeing as it covers parts of upstate New York if you don't mind me asking what happened to Daniel Patrick Moynihan and the Buckley brothers - Bill and James ITTL?

My district is the one in eastern inland South Florida, represented by an Alliance of Regions MIP. I'm wondering why that is, either the high Hispanic population, or perhaps even the native Seminole Indians?