Hail, Britannia

Here's OTL for comparison.
full_map-3-c2c2.jpg
Republic of China?

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
Republic of China?
Pretty sure they quality as "devloped."

More developed than most yes, but there economy is still considerably less developed than Europe or North America. Probably could be classed as "in transition".

Does the United Empire use the Imperial (heh) or metric system of measurement?
Going off the infoboxes, it seems to be metric, with imperial a decidedly second.

A while ago I realised I'd dropped the ball on that one and put metric as the main units with imperial in brackets...

I'm assuming a similar position to the OTL UK - metric has been legally adopted in many aspects, however road signs etc still use imperial, and most people would be more comfortable giving their height/weight in imperial (feet, stone) than metric.

Last edited:
most people would be more comfortable giving their height/weight in metric (feet, stone) than imperial

Aren't feet and stone imperial units?
Feet and Stone are Imperial units, I think what he meant was most people are comfortable giving their weight in Imperial units.

Of course, this is not completely correct as it would be most Older (i.e who grew up or whose parents grew up before the conversion to the metric system) people are comfortable giving their weight in Imperial units, whereas younger people will prefer Metric but might use Imperial due to parental influence or to allow the older generation to understand what they describing easier.

For example I was born in the 90s and mostly use metric, whereas my parents (60s) and grandparents (30s/40s) mostly use Imperial units.

The point is the younger the generation the more likely they are to use the metric system over the Imperial system.

Not as yet, but I do have something in the pipeline...

On an unrelated note, New England held a referendum in June 2018 about changing the voting system. And I want you all to decide the outcome!!

A bit of background first. New England is one of only three dominions int he Empire to still use FPTP, the others being Sierra Leone and Carolina. The vote was a two stage process, much like OTL New Zealand's 2011 referendum:

Question 1: Should New England keep the First Past The Post (FPTP) voting system?

Question 2: If New England were to change to another voting system, which voting system would you choose?
1) Additional Member System (OTL Scotland)
2) Instant Run-Off Voting (OTL Australia)
3) Mixed Member Majoritarian (TTL Virginia & Puerto Rico)
4) Mixed Member Proportional (OTL New Zealand / TTL Britain)
5) Single Transferable Vote (OTL Ireland)​

I'll be tallying up the votes and percentages on Saturday 4 May (i.e. 2 weeks time) and posting the referendum results on the Sunday.

My votes

Q1: no
Q2: option 4, mmp

Edit: whoops, just realised looking at other votes I misread the question. Should be no, get rid of fptp.

Last edited:

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
Aren't feet and stone imperial units?
Feet and Stone are Imperial units, I think what he meant was most people are comfortable giving their weight in Imperial units.

Yes I’d did (whoops)!!

Of course, this is not completely correct as it would be most Older (i.e who grew up or whose parents grew up before the conversion to the metric system) people are comfortable giving their weight in Imperial units, whereas younger people will prefer Metric but might use Imperial due to parental influence or to allow the older generation to understand what they describing easier.

For example I was born in the 90s and mostly use metric, whereas my parents (60s) and grandparents (30s/40s) mostly use Imperial units.

The point is the younger the generation the more likely they are to use the metric system over the Imperial system.

Actually I have to disagree with you here. I grew up in the 90s and I’m more comfortable using imperial. Whenever I teach about metric-imperial conversion in Maths most kids (11-16) can give their height and weight in imperial rather than metric.

So metric is the “official” units, adopted more for expedience/ease in international affairs, whilst imperial are used in most day-to-day situations; road signs, weight etc. But like OTL UK it’s definitely a mixture :)

This is super cool but I do wonder, what's the difference between AMS and MMP ITTL? It's my understanding that these systems are effectively just different names for the same thing.

My understanding of the differences between the two systems involves the list seats: MMP divides the lists seats based on the overall percentage votes for each party, whereas AMS has a regional element with the list seats elected separately in various regions. MMP like the OTL New Zealand electoral system, while AMS is like OTL Scotland and Wales.

My votes

Q2: option 4, mmp

Edit: whoops, just realised looking at other votes I misread the question. Should be no, get rid of fptp.
My Votes

Q1 NO
Q2 5
Q2: option 2 (IRV)

So metric is the “official” units, adopted more for expedience/ease in international affairs, whilst imperial are used in most day-to-day situations; road signs, weight etc. But like OTL UK it’s definitely a mixture
Sounds confusing when "pound" refers to both weight and the official currency of the UK.

I understand your point, however the Metric is gaining more and more traction with more people adopting as time goes on.

Distance, personal height and personal weight will likely be the last uses Imperial units, but the use Imperial system is dying out in most cases.

Metric is currently the international standard and is linked/basis to the newer systems of measurements which are being developed, its matter when not if for the Imperial system.

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
Sounds confusing when "pound" refers to both weight and the official currency of the UK.

Just like in OTL :)

I understand your point, however the Metric is gaining more and more traction with more people adopting as time goes on.

Distance, personal height and personal weight will likely be the last uses Imperial units, but the use Imperial system is dying out in most cases.

Metric is currently the international standard and is linked/basis to the newer systems of measurements which are being developed, its matter when not if for the Imperial system.

I completely agree that metric is getting more traction, and imperial is fading away. But I think it unlikely that imperial will ever completely vanish. IMHO metric will continue to be official, whereas imperial will be used unofficially for height, weight and distance.

ITTL metric is used officially by government departments, and internationally. But at a local/personal level, distance, height and weight tend to still be in imperial units and I see this continuing.

Sure, in OTL and globally speaking. However, the United Empire ITTL also sees the OTL United States (the biggest and most stubborn retainer of Imperial/customary measurements) either part of or tightly aligned with the Empire. That, combined with almost a half-billion people population worldwide and a massive amount of financial and economic influence on their own (let alone the Commonwealth) means that such traction is also counter-tractioned a LOT; the global community might do metric alone, but if a British business wants to use Imperial measurements for stocking/retail purposes, there's not enough pushback IMO to actually prevent it at all.

I don't disagree with metric being used in an official capacity, but I don't think it has enough pull to reduce or shrink Imperial measurements nearly as much as one might think.

Sure, in OTL and globally speaking. However, the United Empire ITTL also sees the OTL United States (the biggest and most stubborn retainer of Imperial/customary measurements) either part of or tightly aligned with the Empire. That, combined with almost a half-billion people population worldwide and a massive amount of financial and economic influence on their own (let alone the Commonwealth) means that such traction is also counter-tractioned a LOT; the global community might do metric alone, but if a British business wants to use Imperial measurements for stocking/retail purposes, there's not enough pushback IMO to actually prevent it at all.

I don't disagree with metric being used in an official capacity, but I don't think it has enough pull to reduce or shrink Imperial measurements nearly as much as one might think.
I agree with your point and suggest you point it at LeinadB93 and ask for their input. We also must remember this is a type 2 timeline so in some places things will not match up to what would more probably be expected.

However, please do note I was discussing OTL UK use of the Imperial and Metric systems, not the TTL UKE.

British Royal Navy - Aircraft Carriers
I agree with your point and suggest you point it at LeinadB93 and ask for their input. We also must remember this is a type 2 timeline so in some places things will not match up to what would more probably be expected.

However, please do note I was discussing OTL UK use of the Imperial and Metric systems, not the TTL UKE.

Fair enough, just adding my twopence on the subject.

On a separate topic, @LeinadB93 and I have discussed some of the details of one of Britain's greatest hallmark institutions and adding detail and flavor to it; the Royal Navy. We've already seen the who's-who of fleets under the United Kingdom and Empire HERE, but being an OOB aficionado led me to bounce ideas around on what the actual operating forces assigned thereto would be. Thus, with the OP's approval, I present:

British Royal Navy Fleet and Carrier Deployments:

1. Home Isles Fleet (Portsmouth, England*; Faslane, Scotland**; Haulbowline, Ireland)
*HMS Ark Royal (NR-05)
*HMS Emperor Frederick (NR-06)
*HMS Dreadnought (NR-22)
**HMS Lion (NR-11)
**HMS Thunderchild (NR-23)

2. Mediterranean Fleet (based out of Malta* and Gibraltar**)
*HMS Courageous (R-01)
**HMS Excalibur (NR-07)

3. North Atlantic Fleet (Halifax, New England*; Norfolk, Virginia**; Wilmington, Carolina)
*HMS Resolution (NR-24)
*HMS Enterprise (NR-08)
**HMS Prince of Chesapeake (NR-25)
**HMS America (NR-09)
**HMS Eagle (NR-10)

4. Caribbean Fleet (San Mateo, Florida*; Kingston, Jamaica; San Juan, Puerto Rico; Chaguaramas, West Indies**)
*HMS Invincible (NR-04)
*HMS Victorious (NR-12)
**HMS Iron Duke (R-02)

5. South Atlantic Fleet (Georgetown, Sierra Leone*; Ushuaia, Tierra del Fuego)
*HMS Indomitable (R-14)

6. North Pacific Fleet (Esquimalt, Oregon*; Pearl Harbour, Hawai'i**)
*HMS Warrior (NR-26)
*HMS Furious (NR-15)
**HMS Illustrious (NR-16)
**HMS Warspite (NR-17)

7. South Pacific Fleet (Sydney, Australia*; Auckland, New Zealand)
*HMS Vanguard (NR-27)
*HMS Vengeance (NR-18)

8. Indian Ocean Fleet (Port Louis, Mauritius*; Port Blair, Andaman-Nicobar; Perth, Westralia**)
*HMS Siege Perilous (R-03)
**HMS Audacious (NR-19)

9. East Asian Fleet (based out of Hong Kong* and Singapore**)
*HMS Emperor George VI (NR-28)
**HMS Revenge (NR-20)

10. Arabian Sea Fleet (based out of Socotra*)
*HMS Formidable (NR-21)

British Carrier Classes:

Courageous-class [OTL Kitty Hawk-class]
HMS Courageous (R-01)
HMS Iron Duke (R-02)
HMS Siege Perilous (R-03)
HMS Indomitable (R-14)

Invincible-class [OTL Nimitz-class]
HMS Invincible (NR-04)
HMS Ark Royal (NR-05)
HMS Emperor Frederick (NR-06)
HMS Excalibur (NR-07)
HMS Enterprise (NR-08)
HMS America (NR-09)
HMS Eagle (NR-10)
HMS Lion (NR-11)
HMS Victorious (NR-12)
HMS Furious (NR-15)
HMS Illustrious (NR-16)
HMS Warspite (NR-17)
HMS Vengeance (NR-18)
HMS Audacious (NR-19)
HMS Revenge (NR-20)
HMS Formidable (NR-21)
HMS Dreadnought (NR-22)
HMS Thunderchild (NR-23)
HMS Resolution (NR-24)
HMS Prince of Chesapeake (NR-25)
HMS Warrior (NR-26)

Vanguard-class [OTL Gerald R. Ford-class]
HMS Vanguard (NR-27)
HMS Emperor George VI (NR-28)

More to follow as per direction from the OP, possibly in wikibox format.

EDIT: For crediting purposes, I have cribbed the pennant number system indicated from both OTL sources and inspiration from trekchu's "Against All Odds" timeline.

Last edited: