Hail, Britannia

Welcome back, I do love your work here. This remains one of my favourite timelines. And since its been bought up I do have to ask what dear old Dr. Jackson is up, I think I squealed the first time a saw that Stargate reference in the Missouri post. God do I miss that show.
I do have a few questions.
What is the general economic state of Africa, since from what you've said Britain didn't carve up the continent the same as it did OTL, are things better or worse off?
And how exactly does India's elected head of state work, is it term based or does the elected "Badishah" serve for Life?
Keep up the great work.

California; 2013 general election; 2017 general election; Californian English; California Autonomous Regions

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
Say, how did California become it's own country?
There's an article HERE, from before there was a central thread for "Hail Britannia".

Funny you should ask :p Here's an updated and redeveloped version of California in this timeline. I've been working on this for a while, but finally got around to completing the write-up.

Enjoy :)

90oPyaR.png

The Kingdom of the Californias, commonly known as the Californias or simply California, is a sovereign state located on the western coast of North America, bordered by the Republic of Texas to the east, the United Empire (specifically Oregon and Missouri) to the north and northeast, and the Pacific Ocean to the south. California shares a maritime boundary with the Mexican Empire in the Gulf of Cortez. Historically part of the Spanish Viceroyalty of New Spain, and later the First Mexican Empire (1821-1833), the province of Las Californias declared itself a free and sovereign state after the deposition of Emperor Agustín I, later gaining de facto autonomy within the Centralist Republic of Mexico (1833-1848). During this period the province, under the rule of a series of military governors, saw a population boom as monarchist Mexicans fled the increasingly dictatorial regime and European settlers arrived in the region.

In 1846, at the beginning of the Mexican War, California elected Andrés Pico as president and declared independence from the Centralist Republic of Mexico, with rebel forces quickly securing control of the major ports and cities. With the aid of British and Texan forces, California avoided the worst of the fighting, and troops were involved in the invasion force into parts of central Mexico. Following the collapse of the Centralist Republic, and the signing of the Treaty of Toluca in 848, the new Mexican government formally recognised the independence of Texas and California. Despite efforts in California and the American colonies for the new territory to be annexed into the British Empire, opposition within the Colonial Congress prevented this, and the terms of the treaty established California as a British protectorate.

Shortly before the end of the Mexican War, President Pico invited Ramón de Iturbide, the second youngest son of deposed Mexican Emperor Agustín I, who had travelled to California in 1846 from exile in Pennsylvania and fought during the war, to take the Californian throne, which he did in 1847 as King Ramón I. His family and descendants continue to reign in California as the senior agnatic branch of the House of Iturbide, and make up a substantial part of the small Californian nobility. Between 1847 and 1879, California was an absolute monarchy and military junta, governed by the monarch and the military were near-limitless powers. The constitution of the time granted all executive powers to the King, who appointed a “President of the Government” (Prime Minister), who was always a senior member of the military. The Cortes Generales, California's legislative branch, was a largely symbolic institution for the first 32 years of the country's existence, until the democratic reforms led by Ramón II and John C. Frémont, later the Duke of Mariposa, gave rise to 1879 Constitution and the transition to a democratic parliamentary constitutional monarchy. The late 19th century saw the rapid decline of the Aboriginal population, as settlers moved in from the British American colonies as transportation became easier with the transcontinental railroads. The new settlers threatened to overwhelm California’s existing Hispanic community, and legal measures were taken to ensure the supremacy of the Spanish language and culture for new colonists, including banning the English language in schools.

During the First World War (1913-1918), parts of southern California were invaded and occupied by Mexican forces. At its height the Central Powers controlled the cities of San Diego and southern Los Angeles, where Californian forces halted their advance. The defeat of Mexico in 1917 led to the annexation of the Baja Peninsula, which had been claimed by the Californians since independence, as the country's eleventh autonomous region opposed to seeking heavier reparations from Mexico. Throughout the course of the 20th century California emerged as a major world power, joining the Allies in the Second World War, primarily focused on the East Asian Theatre. Migration also increased into the country as travel across the Rockies became easier, forcing the construction of major aqueducts, dams and bridges across the nation. Early settlers had also discovered the importance of irrigation during the summer months, which allowed the growth and development of vast expanses of agricultural land, laying the foundation for the nation’s prodigious agricultural and wine industry.

In the 21st century, California is a thriving multicultural liberal democracy with a strong economy and prominent place on the world stage as a key player in multi-polar international politics. The country boosts a diverse population, known as Californians or Californios, composed predominantly of Mestizos (mixed descent from Latin Americans, Amerindian and Europeans) with a substantial population of recent European immigrants, and California is also home to the largest number of Asian peoples in the New World as well as a significant population of African descent. California is considered a potential great power, and wields a great deal of international influence, as an observer at the Union of Latin American Nations and the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation, and a member of the three pillars of the Commonwealth of Nations; the Commonwealth Economic Community, the Common Defence Pact and the Common Travel Area.

NiPGNRG.png

The 2013 Californian general election was held on 12 October 2013 to elect, under the proportional representation system, the 565 members of the Chamber of Delegates, the lower house of the Cortes Generales.

The incumbent centre-left Avanzando Juntos (“Forward Together”) coalition, led by Prime Minister Antonio Villaraigosa, went into the election in the hopes of securing a third mandate. The coalition, composed of the centre-left United Left (Izquierda Unida; IU), the centrist liberal New State Party (Partido Nuevo Estado; PNE), and the Green politics left-wing Ecological Alliance (Alianza Ecológica; AE), had been in government since 2008. The opposition La Alianza (“The Alliance”), an electoral alliance between the centre-right National Liberals (Partido Nacional Liberal; PNL), the populist People’s Union (Unión del Pueblo; UdP), the conservative Mormon regionalist Wasatch People’s Party, and the broad tent Libertarian Movement (Movimiento Libertario, ML), sought to return to government.

Dissatisfaction with the incumbent government’s economic policy was a key factor in the election, as was Villaraigosa’s decision to pursue closer relations with Latin America at the expense of the tradition and historic links with the Commonwealth. Huntsman ran a strong campaign aimed at boosting economic growth through reduced government expenditure, and increased trade with the growing economies of the Commonwealth’s African members. A tight campaign nearly saw the incumbent government re-elected until the 2013 Nevada constitutional crisis, when the Villaraigosa government dissolved the Nevada legislature over their refusal to tackle illegal gambling, which led to riots in Las Vegas and over forty deaths. Dissatisfaction with the government’s actions, alongside Huntsman’s public opposition to their response, led public support to swing towards the Alliance.

In the final election result, the Alliance secured a majority of 10 seats, with every member party gaining seats except the Libetrarians. The Avanzado Juntos government lost nearly a quarter of their seats, although the PNE and AE made minor gains. The unaligned Republican Front (Frente Republicano, FR), which advocates for the creation of a Second Californian Republic, saw their number of seats halved, representing a decline in the support for a republic in California. In speeches on election night, Huntsman pledged to serve the people of California whilst Prime Minister Villaraigosa accepted the result, and announced his resignation as party leader.

NiPGNRG.png

The 2017 Californian general election was held on 7 October 2017 to elect, under the proportional representation system, the 565 members of the Chamber of Delegates, the lower house of the Cortes Generales.

The incumbent La Alianza government, consisting of the PNL, UdP, the Wasatch People’s Party, and the ML, had started their first term in office with a high degree of support. However a slowdown in the economy, coupled with a delayed resolution to the 2013 Nevada crisis and increased economic migration from other parts of Latin America, caused the Alliance to drop in the polls. The opposition Avanzando Juntos coalition under new IU leader Hilda Solis, capitalised on the government’s problems, running a campaign centred on a return to the Villaraigosa government’s policies of increased spending to boost growth, and negotiating with Latin American countries to solve the migrant crisis. Although their message resonated with the voters, popular support remained with the government when Huntsman pledged that no public services would suffer further cuts during the term of the next Cortes.

In a narrow election, the incumbent government were reduced to a minority by a single seat, although the opposition were left incapable of forming their own majority government. Huntsman was given the first chance to form a government, and thanks to a rogue member of the FR breaking from her party to support his candidacy, Huntsman was re-elected as prime minister and appointed by the king.

nBsuDwf.png

NiPGNRG.png

Californian English, sometimes called Anglo-Californian, although this term is also used to described Anglophone Californians and those of British heritage, is the set of varieties and dialects of the English language native to California. With 20 million native speakers, and a further 15 million L2 speakers, English is the second most widely spoken language in California, and is a co-official language of the country alongside Spanish, although Spanish is the de facto national language. English speakers are mainly concentrated in the regions of Wasatch, Nevada and Klamath, where they make up a majority of the population, and along the “English Coast”, which covers parts of northern Cabazona, Pelona and southern Salinas.

The use of English in California is a result of British settlement and cultural influence. The first wave of English-speaking settlers arrived in California during the 19th century, partly because of the California Gold Rush, after the country gained its independence during the Mexican War as a British protectorate. The number of native English-speakers grew rapidly as settlers moved in from across British America, and at times threatened to overwhelm the native Spanish-speaking population, and gave rise to three distinct dialects and accents; Inland, Central and Coastal. The Inland accent is mainly located in Wasatch and Nevada, and bears many similarities to Texan English, whilst Central is spoken in Chaushila and Nueva Helvetia and is similar to Carolina English. The Coastal accent of California is the most widely recognised internationally as an Anglo-Californian accent, spoken across the country’s coastal regions, from Klamath in the north to Cabazona in the south, and in major cities and urban areas.

NiPGNRG.png

In California, the eleven autonomous regions (Spanish: regiones autónomas) are the first level political and administrative divisions of the country, created in accordance with the Californian Constitution of 1879, to guarantee limited autonomy to the distinct regions and communities of the country. California is not a federation, but a highly decentralised unitary state, with sovereignty vested in the nation as a whole and asymmetrically devolved to the regions. There are 11 autonomous regions, nine were created in 1880 when the constitution came into effect; Wasatch was formed in 1896 out of the historic Mormon state of Deseret, whilst Baja was created in 1934 out of territory acquired from Mexico in the First World War.

Only three of the regions have active secessionist movements, Klamath, Wasatch and Baja. Klamath is home to a sizeable Anglophone population, whilst Wasatch is a majority Anglophone and Mormon region, and Baja retains strong cultural ties to Mexico.

vVuDiFP.png

Last edited:

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
@LeinadB93 no worries about taking a sabbatical from the thread, looking forward to what you have when you get back.

Welcome back, I do love your work here. This remains one of my favourite timelines. And since its been bought up I do have to ask what dear old Dr. Jackson is up, I think I squealed the first time a saw that Stargate reference in the Missouri post. God do I miss that show.

As I've said before, this series is going to remain separate from Stargate, although there will be a few references. Hail, Britannia definitely takes place in a version of the Stargate universe, however the Stargate Program is still top secret and so there won't be much (if any crossover).

I've started posting a series idea I had, Stargate Ad Astra, over on the Alternate Wikipedia Infoboxes thread here. I'm hoping to follow it up with a post soon about how the original members of SG-1 fared ITTL :)

What is the general economic state of Africa, since from what you've said Britain didn't carve up the continent the same as it did OTL, are things better or worse off?

Generally Africa is significantly better off than OTL, probably similar to Eastern Europe or Latin America in most places. Although there are several countries that would be considered "developed" by OTL standards. The colonial powers never carved the continent up as they did IOTL, however they did still claim spheres of influence. Morocco and Ethiopia were the only two nations to remain "completely" independent ITTL. Here's a rough map over modern borders, showing which country was the main colonial influence:

cBg3Zgh.png

And how exactly does India's elected head of state work, is it term based or does the elected "Badishah" serve for Life?

The Badishah is a similar position to the OTL Malaysian King, they are elected by the heads of the princely states from amongst their number, meaning the Badishah is always a princely ruler. Typically the position is for life, and the only person to retire from the position was the 3rd Badishah, Shatrusalyasinhji of Nawangar, who served from 1967 to 1978. There is a designated successor, a bit like a line of succession, however this can change by a vote of the collective heads of the princely states.

A tight campaign nearly saw the incumbent government re-elected until the 2013 Nevada constitutional crisis, when the Villaraigosa government dissolved the Nevada legislature over their refusal to tackle illegal gambling, which led to riots in Las Vegas and over forty deaths.

Whoa. That's... intense. I guess they really do take gambling that seriously in Vegas.

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
Whoa. That's... intense. I guess they really do take gambling that seriously in Vegas.

It was more a response to the perception of an "Hispanic" PM and government cracking down in a predominantly Anglophone city. The riots escalated as a result of the dissolution of the legislature, looters and vandals got involved and the police crackdown caused serious escalations - leading to the deaths.

So yeah... Less about gambling, more about racial/lingusitic tensions.

It was more a response to the perception of an "Hispanic" PM and government cracking down in a predominantly Anglophone city. The riots escalated as a result of the dissolution of the legislature, looters and vandals got involved and the police crackdown caused serious escalations - leading to the deaths.

So yeah... Less about gambling, more about racial/lingusitic tensions.

Villaraigosa really should have thought things through before taking such a heavy-handed measure, especially during election season.

God I want to live in this world... Rule Britannia!

I've started posting a series idea I had, Stargate Ad Astra, over on the Alternate Wikipedia Infoboxes thread here. I'm hoping to follow it up with a post soon about how the original members of SG-1 fared ITTL
So I've had a look at your other post, I never picked up on this TL being in the Stargate universe. I notice there's a flag next to the sovereign state on that wikibox, is that the flag of the UKE ITTL? I notice it looks very similar to the little logo at the top of your posts. What do the parts of it represent? (stars for constituent countries like OTL US flag?) what's happened to the union jack? infact do you have a wikibox for the UKE as a whole?

Also on the other post it mentions that fort Elizabeth was founded in 2008, does that mean that the Stargate is public ITTL now, or still secret? I guess it has to become public by the 2020s when there's a lot of emigration from the UKE

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
Villaraigosa really should have thought things through before taking such a heavy-handed measure, especially during election season.

Yeah he should have, but unfortunately events spiralled out of his control pretty quickly.

God I want to live in this world... Rule Britannia!

Me too :D

So I've had a look at your other post, I never picked up on this TL being in the Stargate universe.

There are a few references here and there; the existence of Henry Hayes as PM, and the top-secret research project in Cheyenne Mountain. But on the whole the fact that the Stargate is real is very much in the background.

I notice there's a flag next to the sovereign state on that wikibox, is that the flag of the UKE ITTL? I notice it looks very similar to the little logo at the top of your posts. What do the parts of it represent? (stars for constituent countries like OTL US flag?) what's happened to the union jack? infact do you have a wikibox for the UKE as a whole?

The OTL British Union Flag has remained the official flag of the Empire. The one you say on the Port Royal infobox is the second official flag of the Empire, representing the constituent countries. Here's a bigger version:

bGLGfBb.png

The thirteen stripes in the background represent the thirteen founding dominions (including the historic kingdoms of Scotland and England as separate stars). The twelve stars at the centre represent the twelve original members (Scotland, Wales and England linked as Great Britain), the outer circle of 18 stars represents the additional dominions created since 1876, with Wales, Scotland and Cornwall now represented by their own stars.

In the future of Stargate Ad Astra, this flag becomes the more recognised flag of the Empire - whilst the OTL Union Flag becomes a ceremonial flag.

An infobox is in the works, but not ready ATM.

Also on the other post it mentions that fort Elizabeth was founded in 2008, does that mean that the Stargate is public ITTL now, or still secret? I guess it has to become public by the 2020s when there's a lot of emigration from the UKE

Hail, Britannia and Stargate Ad Astra are actually two branches of the same series - if that makes sense. Everything between the two lines up until 2010, when disclosure takes place in Ad Astra, but the Stargate remains secret in Hail, Britannia. This allows me to play with two scenarios - a future version of the Stargate unvierse (where I can focus on interstellar politics and events), and the Britwank of the present day (where the Stargate isn't involved except in the background).

Hopefully that clears things up :)

Last edited:
Is stargate ad Astra a timeline that has been published yet as I cannot fine it.

Also like the flag but as a Brit and considering how the Union Jack has been developed over time I can say that at the time of development of this flag it would have the jack in its design. This flag looks more like a possible USA designed flag.

Maybe have a smaller centre diamond/flag square of the Union Jack with a outside diamond of stars

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
Is stargate ad Astra a timeline that has been published yet as I cannot fine it.

Not yet. And it's unlikely to be in a format like this thread. I'll just post a few updates every-so-often to the Alternate Wikipedia Infoboxes thread. Future SG-1 will hopefully be finished by the end of next week.

Also like the flag but as a Brit and considering how the Union Jack has been developed over time I can say that at the time of development of this flag it would have the jack in its design. This flag looks more like a possible USA designed flag.

Maybe have a smaller centre diamond/flag square of the Union Jack with a outside diamond of stars

I figured this is probably a late 20th century invention, based on earlier Red Ensign designs. Britain-in-America retains a unique flag across the American dominions, that consists of a Union Flag in the corner and stripes for each dominion. There's also the historic flag of the British American colonies that I'll share when I post about them.

Hello, StormStar. As you can probably notice, both me and Lei are Brits as well.

The stars might be a bit of an "Americanism", but there's perfect precedent for it. It's a heraldic thing and whatnot.

From my perspective, I feel that the Union Jack is a "historical" flag, the flag of the British Empire, while the "Starry Jack" or whatever is a considerably more recent development and might be used by unionists who doesn't see the Union Flag of England, Scotland and Ireland as really representing them. Who knows, but that's certainly a possible interpretation.

Not yet. And it's unlikely to be in a format like this thread. I'll just post a few updates every-so-often to the Alternate Wikipedia Infoboxes thread. Future SG-1 will hopefully be finished by the end of next week.

I figured this is probably a late 20th century invention, based on earlier Red Ensign designs. Britain-in-America retains a unique flag across the American dominions, that consists of a Union Flag in the corner and stripes for each dominion. There's also the historic flag of the British American colonies that I'll share when I post about them.

Hello, StormStar. As you can probably notice, both me and Lei are Brits as well.

The stars might be a bit of an "Americanism", but there's perfect precedent for it. It's a heraldic thing and whatnot.

From my perspective, I feel that the Union Jack is a "historical" flag, the flag of the British Empire, while the "Starry Jack" or whatever is a considerably more recent development and might be used by unionists who doesn't see the Union Flag of England, Scotland and Ireland as really representing them. Who knows, but that's certainly a possible interpretation.
That’s fine 20th century angle makes more sense, still think it’s needs Union Jack in some way.

I also understand that adding the Union Jack to the current form of the flag would also likely make the flag to busy.

Hell the only way I can see it working is having the blue diamond as a Union Jack diamond which would cause problems with the white stars or having the strips being red,white or blue which would cause problems with the 13 stripes not being equally divisible by 3.

This is just for feedback, but what in general would you like to see more of, in this TL?

Are you a sucker for historical wikiboxes, or provincial elections? Non-UE places? Feel free to talk about what you like best or want more. Any feedback is good feedback.

This is just for feedback, but what in general would you like to see more of, in this TL?

Are you a sucker for historical wikiboxes, or provincial elections? Non-UE places? Feel free to talk about what you like best or want more. Any feedback is good feedback.

I want EVERYTHING!

Seriously, more of everything would be awesome. :cool:

But I wouldn't mind seeing more about Japan.

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor

I'm just gonna go ahead and agree to all this!!! I imagine the general decline in religious observance has contributed to the rise to prominence of a flag within religious connotations/symbolism.

So yeah, the "Starry Jack" is a prominent Unionist symbol :)

Just give me more work why don't you ;)

In all seriousness, I welcome people to offer suggestions, requests or there own contributions!!

I have been on a bit of a state/provincial kick these last few dates... Got infoboxes (awaiting write-ups) for Tasmania, the Bahamas, Quebec and Alaska :D

Also I don't want people to think I've forgotten about the Imperial Constituencies requests! They just take a bit of time to map out and select historic MIPs...

I want EVERYTHING!

Seriously, more of everything would be awesome. :cool:

But I wouldn't mind seeing more about Japan.

Haha :D

Japan, and by extension East Asia, is an area I would like to cover in greater depth. But my knowledge of the region, both in terms of history and politics, is lacking...

Japan, and by extension East Asia, is an area I would like to cover in greater depth. But my knowledge of the region, both in terms of history and politics, is lacking...

As you talked about Japan...I remembered Alphaville's Big in Japan. x'Dx'D and I wonder how was 1980s culture and how ITTL is the culture by now.

PS.: I think U2's Sunday, Bloody Sunday was butterflied here, isn't?

I would like to see the reposting hereof the Hail Britannia posts on other threads.

I would like to see if possible:

A post on the Commonwealth of Nations,

A post on the independents groups within and outside of the United Empire,

A post on any (if they existed) reunification groups in former territories of the United Empire with the United Empire,

And A post on if the Commonwealth of Nation could transform in government structure to become like the EU state.

Last edited:
I would like to see the reposting hereof the Hail Britannia posts on other threads.
No need, they're all linked in a previous post. Just look up "Pre-Thread Posts" on the threadmarks.
A post on the Commonwealth of Nations,
Could be fun.
A post on the independents groups within and outside of the United Empire with the UE,
Within and outside? There could be a coverage of the Alliance of Regions, perhaps.
A post on any (if they existed) reunification groups in former territories of the United Empire,
The only one I can think of, is the Unionist Party in Patagonia. They're very much pro-British.
And A post on if the Commonwealth of Nation could transform in government structure to become like the EU state.
Eh, it's really just "Britain and satellites" at this point.