Hail, Britannia

That would be Ararat, a majority-Jewish autonomous region.
Apparently, the Hebrew revival wasn't as successful as OTL.
Also a bit of Fridge Horror: with the war against China diverting men and resources that went to fighting the Nazis IOTL, it's possible that the Holocaust claimed more victims before being stopped.:eek:

When would the next major election in the empire take place and what would the outcome of this election be.

When would the next major election in the empire take place and what would the outcome of this election be.
I'd really like to see a poll to let the viewers decide like in other past world-building games if possible! With provisions in place to keep the results within the bounds of the established framework, of course.

Does traffic in the Empire drive on the left or right side of the road?
EDIT: Nevermind, I re-read the wikiboxes, and they drive on the left.

Last edited:
Why’re the 13 Colonies reunified into the different dominions? Wouldn’t they want to be independent Home Nations? e.g. the revolt after the creation of the Dominion of New England in 1686?

Like why are New York, Maryland, Pennsylvania reformed into Colombia and why are North/South Carolina and Georgia reformed into Carolina?

Why’re the 13 Colonies reunified into the different dominions? Wouldn’t they want to be independent Home Nations? e.g. the revolt after the creation of the Dominion of New England in 1686?

Like why are New York, Maryland, Pennsylvania reformed into Colombia and why are North/South Carolina and Georgia reformed into Carolina?
Practicality. Plus, the 13 Colonies [apart from New York] are still there, they're just provinces of the dominions.

Practicality. Plus, the 13 Colonies [apart from New York] are still there, they're just provinces of the dominions.

Then why not Virginia? Any logical reason behind the amalgamations other than aesthetics? I mean I could understand North and South Carolina being amalgamated into Carolina by why the addition of Georgia?

Are they home-grown amalgamations or London-dictated combinations?

Then why not Virginia? Any logical reason behind the amalgamations other than aesthetics? I mean I could understand North and South Carolina being amalgamated into Carolina by why the addition of Georgia?

Because Virginia had a great role in the monarchy, with King Frederick dubbing Virginia a Kingdom. That and it consistently had a separate identity from the Carolinas.

Georgia was folded into Carolina likely for practicality, and because they were creating a Southern dominion.

Essentially what happened here is that there was one big American Dominion, and that was divided to be more representative. Each state/province is still there [apart from NY], they just are part of a bigger whole.

Regarding that last one, I don't know. But I would guess that the separate dominion idea was imposed on the colonies, but that their divisions were ones they created themselves.

Because Virginia had a great role in the monarchy, with King Frederick dubbing Virginia a Kingdom. That and it consistently had a separate identity from the Carolinas.

Georgia was folded into Carolina likely for practicality, and because they were creating a Southern dominion.

Essentially what happened here is that there was one big American Dominion, and that was divided to be more representative. Each state/province is still there [apart from NY], they just are part of a bigger whole.

Regarding that last one, I don't know. But I would guess that the separate dominion idea was imposed on the colonies, but that their divisions were ones they created themselves.

Emphasis mine; I always read it as being due to the fact that most of OTL Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi and Tennessee were part of the Carolina Province, considering that NC, SC and GA weren't fully distinct entities from each other IOTL until post 1700. Virginia had its own historical boundaries that were maintainable due to more political capital as a subordinate kingdom, and New England wasn't a feasible entity only IMO because of NY and NJ's inclusion (hence the "Columbia" Mid-Atlantic State dominion ITTL), so if that issue were removed then why not have a New England dominion?

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
Right everyone, I'm really sorry I haven't been here much really, but work has been very busy at the moment. But I will definitely make more of an effort to be on here moving forward. :)

Now to respond to some of the recent questions.

So how does baseball fare in this world? Is there even a Boston Red Sox and Chicago Cubs?

I outlined a lot of TTLs British sporting history here. Baseball is a regional sport ITTL, predominantly played in New England, Columbia and the Ohio Country, but there are prominent teams in Canada, Missouri and Oregon. So I would assume the Boston Red Sox and the Chicago Cubs still exist ITTL.

I could see Ohio Country showing the best result for the Progressive Conservatives in the Empire.

Thanks for the advice, I certainly had them down as having a prominent PC affiliate, but perhaps it could be the mainstream centre-right party.

We know that there is a significant population of Gaelic-speakers in North America, but what about the British Isles?
Yeah there are some in Irish speakers in Ireland and Scottish Gaelic speakers in Scotland and Ireland. There are some Welsh speakers in Wales and some Cornish speakers in Cornwall. Look on page 11 for more information of languages in the British Empire.
On closer inspection, the regions of Ireland, Scotland, and Wales that are majority-Celtic-language speaking appear to be larger than OTL, so I guess the Celtic language revival was more successful ITTL.

Well in keeping with the theme of increased linguistic diversity in both British America and the Home Isles, the Celtic revival is more successful. Welsh has the most speakers, probably upwards of 25-30%. Scottish Gaelic is probably spoken by about 10-12%, whilst Irish is probably not that much different from OTL. Cornish has experienced a successful revival inline with OTL Welsh.

So I was thinking and wouldn't the province of KwaZulu-Natal in South Africa be part of the empire as well I mean in the 1960 referendum the province overwhelmingly voted to stay in the Commonwealth Realm and the province has a large English speaking population so would they join the Union or remain a part of South Africa. I feel like the official languages of the province would be English and Zulu but the minor languages would be Afrikaans, Xhosa, Sotho, and Swazi. In conclusion would Kwa-Zulu Natal be apart of the empire and would the name be different and overall how would they function and also the history as well.

I did an instalment on OTL South Africa here. I'm not exactly 100% happy with the whole backstory of TTLs Capeland, and the whole native-based monarchy, but for now it stands.

What about Minnesotan? At what point did it begin to be considered a separate language instead of a dialect of Swedish?
I honestly have no idea why Minnesotan is a different language but I would assume that Minnesotan would be a Creole of Swedish.

My assumption with Minnesotan is that it is a creole of Swedish and Danish, with elements of Finnish. Although it is mutually intelligible with Swedish and Danish to a certain extent, there are enough differences that it is considered a separate language in the continuum of East Scandinavian languages.

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
Yeah that's what I noticed and also whats up with the Yiddish language in the Kimberley Region of Western Australia.
That would be Ararat, a majority-Jewish autonomous region.
Apparently, the Hebrew revival wasn't as successful as OTL.

Yes that is the autonomous territory of Ararat, as @Wayside has said it is a Jewish and Yiddish-speaking majority region of Westralia. The Hebrew revival still occurs but isn't as mainstream, so it is one of the two official languages of Yisrael (Jewish state in OTL East Prussia), one of the official languages in the Levant, but isn't spoken by many people in Ararat and the Soviet Jewish Autonomous Republic.

Also a bit of Fridge Horror: with the war against China diverting men and resources that went to fighting the Nazis IOTL, it's possible that the Holocaust claimed more victims before being stopped.:eek:

Hmm... Not something I had really considered. With all of the OTL USA in the war from day one, that gives a major boast in manpower to the Allies from the start. Plus Brazil joins earlier (standing in as a sort of analogue for OTL America) so I'm assuming that the war in Europe progresses much like OTL. Although there are obvious differences with Spain joining the Axis and Italy being divided between Allies and Axis aligned countries.

In terms of Jewish emigration from Europe, there was still some to OTL Palestine (TTL Levantine Union), Zionism never takes hold with Territorialism being the mainstream ideology. Ararat in the OTL Kimberley region becomes a major site for Jewish emigration, so there are probably more survivors from the Holocaust.

I'd really like to see a poll to let the viewers decide like in other past world-building games if possible! With provisions in place to keep the results within the bounds of the established framework, of course.

I have an idea about how I think it will play out, but no fixed date yet. As @Nazi Space Spy has said, polls are definitely something we would all quite like to introduce to let the readers contribute and help shape the world.

That must have been a very interesting coalition.

Oh it was ;)

Does traffic in the Empire drive on the left or right side of the road?
Hopefully, it is the correct (i.e. left hand) side. ;)

Obviously it is the correct side!!

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor

Most of modern Britain-in-America was united as the "United Colonies", an analogue to the OTL USA and British India, until it's dissolution in the 1850s. Indeed practicality played a major role in the creation of the American dominions.

RE: Hong Kong-I assume that instead of merely going for a 99-year lease, Britain annexes it outright.

Originally they had the 99-year lease. But after WW2 they got Hong Kong in perpetuity from China in the peace agreement.

The separate dominion idea was definitely imposed by London, but the actual divisions themselves were as a result of negotiations and agreements amongst the colonies. In areas like New England and Florida, where there was a strong united identity, it was fairly obvious that they would be separate Dominions.

As @FleetMac outlines below, modern day Carolina was all historically part of the colonial Carolina Province. There was a movement for Georgia to be a separate dominion, as there was (and still is) with Minnesota, but london effectively said no and so they merged into Carolina and Missouri respectively. The Bahamas were also historically part of colonial Carolina, hence why they joined that dominion rather than Florida.

The Ohio Country as a dominion originates in the idea that the territory was off limits to white settlers, and given a very light touch from both London and the united colonial government in Fredericksburg. Gradually institutions would evolve within the region to allow for a form of federal governance, I'm toying with the idea of a tricameral legislature, and so it being a separate dominion made sense at the time.

Canada an oddity, as London didn't want a separate francophone dominion, and West Canada didn't want to united with Columbia or the Ohio Country. So Canada was formed between Ontario and Quebec, and eventually expanded across its modern territory. Louisiana evolved in a similar situation between francophone Acadiana, anglophone Arkansaw and the native regions in the west.

Indeed. With Virginia as a separate, if still subordinate, kingdom to Great Britain, which had been self-governing since the 1750s, any attempt to force them into union with Carolina or Columbia would have been met with hostility from Virginians. So their continued existence is a legacy of their royal status.

Emphasis mine; I always read it as being due to the fact that most of OTL Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi and Tennessee were part of the Carolina Province, considering that NC, SC and GA weren't fully distinct entities from each other IOTL until post 1700. Virginia had its own historical boundaries that were maintainable due to more political capital as a subordinate kingdom, and New England wasn't a feasible entity only IMO because of NY and NJ's inclusion (hence the "Columbia" Mid-Atlantic State dominion ITTL), so if that issue were removed then why not have a New England dominion?

My thoughts excatly :D

Yes that is the autonomous territory of Ararat, as @Wayside has said it is a Jewish and Yiddish-speaking majority region of Westralia. The Hebrew revival still occurs but isn't as mainstream, so it is one of the two official languages of Yisrael (Jewish state in OTL East Prussia), one of the official languages in the Levant, but isn't spoken by many people in Ararat and the Soviet Jewish Autonomous Republic.

Hmm... Not something I had really considered. With all of the OTL USA in the war from day one, that gives a major boast in manpower to the Allies from the start. Plus Brazil joins earlier (standing in as a sort of analogue for OTL America) so I'm assuming that the war in Europe progresses much like OTL. Although there are obvious differences with Spain joining the Axis and Italy being divided between Allies and Axis aligned countries.

In terms of Jewish emigration from Europe, there was still some to OTL Palestine (TTL Levantine Union), Zionism never takes hold with Territorialism being the mainstream ideology. Ararat in the OTL Kimberley region becomes a major site for Jewish emigration, so there are probably more survivors from the Holocaust.

I have an idea about how I think it will play out, but no fixed date yet. As @Nazi Space Spy has said, polls are definitely something we would all quite like to introduce to let the readers contribute and help shape the world.

Oh it was ;)

Thanks for all the information. :)

Obviously it is the correct side!!
Right everyone, I'm really sorry I haven't been here much really, but work has been very busy at the moment. But I will definitely make more of an effort to be on here moving forward. :)

Now to respond to some of the recent questions.

I outlined a lot of TTLs British sporting history here. Baseball is a regional sport ITTL, predominantly played in New England, Columbia and the Ohio Country, but there are prominent teams in Canada, Missouri and Oregon. So I would assume the Boston Red Sox and the Chicago Cubs still exist ITTL.

Thanks for the advice, I certainly had them down as having a prominent PC affiliate, but perhaps it could be the mainstream centre-right party.

Well in keeping with the theme of increased linguistic diversity in both British America and the Home Isles, the Celtic revival is more successful. Welsh has the most speakers, probably upwards of 25-30%. Scottish Gaelic is probably spoken by about 10-12%, whilst Irish is probably not that much different from OTL. Cornish has experienced a successful revival inline with OTL Welsh.

I did an instalment on OTL South Africa here. I'm not exactly 100% happy with the whole backstory of TTLs Capeland, and the whole native-based monarchy, but for now it stands.

My assumption with Minnesotan is that it is a creole of Swedish and Danish, with elements of Finnish. Although it is mutually intelligible with Swedish and Danish to a certain extent, there are enough differences that it is considered a separate language in the continuum of East Scandinavian languages.